OBSIDIAN - Please Check https://obsidian-level-maker.github.io/ For Future Updates

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
roundtree
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: OBSIDIAN - A continuation of Oblige/ObAddon [Beta 19]

Post by roundtree »

Ok, no problem, and I do understand what you mean. In the past, I had seen some WADs that were larger than 32 maps, but I don't think I got them to work except for megaman 8-bit deathmatch, but that was on zandronum. But overall, I'm extremely impressed with what obsidian is capable of and will definitely continue to use it for 32 map megawads. I love experimenting with the monster quantity and strength options too. And sorry about asking that; I will search first and ask later next time.
dasho

Post by dasho »

No apologies needed, I guess I should have clarified that it gets asked a lot in our Discord; I don't actually know if it's come up in this thread before.
krokots

Post by krokots »

Not sure if this is a bug, but I've never encountered any pain elemental in any of generated levels (beta 19 and 20). I did a full playthrough (30 levels) and now I'm at level 15 of the next wad, and 0 pain elementals. I did not change any of the monster options, all of the settings were on default.
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

Pain Elementals are marked as bosses and will usually appear is guardians on points of interest such as switch rooms, key rooms, exit rooms, and so on.
krokots

Post by krokots »

Should the option "Bosses As Regulars : Minor Bosses Only" change that? Or there is another option for that?
What does "Minor and Nasty Bosses Only" option do ?
Also, in "Doom Monster Control" does "Default" option is the same as using slider and setting it to 1 ?

Edit : I'm gonna answer to my own question, I looked into monsters.lua and there are three boss types - minor, nasty and tough.
So I will change pains to be "minor" bosses and use "Minor Bosses Only" option.
Darkbeetlebot

Post by Darkbeetlebot »

Title should be updated to show the newly available version (beta 20). Also, I keep running into the same error on 19 when I try to use TNT Evilution as the game and specifically the Egypt theme. Which sucks because that's my favorite one.

Spoiler: My settings.
dasho

Post by dasho »

The title will be updated when Beta 20 is considered the current stable release, although admittedly that will be happening soon. Regarding your error, I would try grabbing the latest Beta 20 package available on the releases pages to see if it's still affecting you. If you're wanting to stick with 19, we would need the complete LOGS.txt file from that run to have a better idea of the context and also to show the Lua traceback.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

It's not a big deal to me but may be of concern for someone else.

Generating a Heretic full game for the ZDoom family in UDMF with OBSIDIAN Level Maker Beta 19
produces all maps in textformat except for maps E1M8 and E2M8 which are in vanilla Heretic format.
dasho

Post by dasho »

Do you have "Prebuilt Levels" under Architecture checked? If so, then this is expected behavior. The prebuilt maps that do exist within Oblige/Obsidian are in binary format, and are simply inserted into the WAD unchanged. If this is happening without Prebuilt Levels checked, that would indeed be a bug.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

It happens in either case, checked or not checked.
During the Making process these two maps are skipped.
dasho

Post by dasho »

I can confirm this still happens in the current B20 code as well...I'll work on getting that fixed.
dasho

Post by dasho »

Actually, scratch that, I had Prebuilt Levels checked myself lol. The current repo doesn't seem to have the same behavior when I uncheck it. Maybe something got fixed along the way?
DrPeeper228
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by DrPeeper228 »

Can you make port for Linux? :geek:
dasho

Post by dasho »

DrPeeper228 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:25 am Can you make port for Linux? :geek:
Obsidian should successfully compile for both Linux and BSD, instructions can be found here.
roundtree
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by roundtree »

dasho wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:15 am
DrPeeper228 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:25 am Can you make port for Linux? :geek:
Obsidian should successfully compile for both Linux and BSD, instructions can be found here.
I just want to confirm what you said is correct. I have compiled Obsidian at least 3 times since installing Linux Mint v21 with no problems at all. I had to be sure to install all dependencies in the linux section of the compiling document and then follow instructions for cmake v3.19+

On an unrelated note, there may be a slight issue with the skybox generator, but I don't think its a bug. If the skybox generator is turned off and the "3d skybox" setting is set to disabled, skybox mods still do not work with Obsidian wads. They definitely used to work but may have stopped a few versions ago. I'm not sure what exact version. I have a link to a skybox mod with some beautiful HD skies if that helps:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/7 ... m-1-and-2/

I still love Obsidian with or without those skyboxes. Just tried the "boxes of death" setting for the first time, and I like it!

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”