Hands of Necromancy [Full game released!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Hands of Necromancy [Full game released!]

Post by Rachael »

Patch v1.5 released!

• Introducing Map Markers for Key Doors and Portals
• Fix for the switch of one of the map13 lifts
• Pull fixes from GZDoom, post-4.8.2
• New movement code - the player starts and stops moving a lot quicker, less "sliding" - this change will be optional
• New Special item: Hand of Necromancy (It raises the dead)
• "Classic" mode - which removes the new Hand of Necromancy and makes the gameplay more similar to what it was before this update
• Fixed skybox for some maps
• Hand of Necromancy item revive the monster who is the closest to the player
• Added more Hand of Necromancy items, max amount is now 10
• Added markers for map transition portals
• Added a cap to max speed with the new movement mode
• map05: Switched Fire Key with Yellow potion spot, Fire Key is now close to the Golem item

If your saves dont work, you need to download the previous version via the beta branch, here is how to do it:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1898610/ ... 360410047/
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Hands of Necromancy is now at -50% off on STEAM for 1 week!

Last update added a new item who revive the monsters to make them your minions, an option for a new movement physic and map markers for key doors and portals!

Link:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1898 ... ecromancy/
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

Suggestion for (optional) all ammo counter on the hud.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Oh, I forgot to post this here
Hands of Necromancy v1.5.2 patch released! Mostly a roundup hotfix that is tying up loose ends.
• Some improvements to controller support
• Ability to browse local config, screenshots, and save files
• A few recent GZDoom engine fixes
• Improvements to the new movement code
• New distribution format for itch.io - .iso image is used to play the game directly on all platforms, ability to run the executable directly from the image with native image mounting that is available on all platforms.

Note: For native .iso mounting, all platforms that are officially supported by the game have native .iso mounting. The game likely runs on Vista or 7, but neither of these have native .iso mounting and require a third party driver (such as such as imdisk) to mount the .iso. (Or you can simply extract it with 7-zip) (This is UNSUPPORTED, as are said platforms, so please don't ask us for help with this)

With 8/8.1/10/11 or macOS, all you have to do is double click the downloaded file and you can play the game directly off of the image. Just look for the game icon and double click on it. If you configured your shell to show extensions, it should be "Hands of Necromancy.app" for Mac, or "Hands of Necromancy.exe" for Windows. For Mac, if you wish to install it to your /Applications folder (optional) - you only need the .app, as the .pk3 files are already included inside the bundle as hard-links to the original files.

For Linux you will have to right click on the image and look for "Open with Image Mounter" - and then provide your superuser password. This will make the image available (most commonly in /media/<your name>/<iso name>) - After the image is mounted, your file manager ("should") automatically open it, and look for "Hands of Necromancy.run" to run the game.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

I have this weird satisfaction in seeing all of my games in the Gzdoom launcher list. Is there any significant reason *not* to use Gzdoom to launch this as an iwad? Like, does it depend on the included binary for intentional features, or do I get the proper game experience (barring bugs that may be introduced just due to version differences, etc) when running it with 'vanilla' gzdoom?
Last edited by DarkkOne on Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

You can drag-drop all the archives (*.pk3, *.ipk3, *EXCEPT* handsofnecromancy.pk3, that is the engine archive) into your IWAD folder and it should work ok. (the .pk3 files may need to be included in your mods folder if you have them separate)

It will work with vanilla GZDoom.

If you want you can also repack the entire game (mentioned files, except handsofnecromancy.pk3) into a single .ipk3 archive, and it will work.

The engine does have customizations but they are mostly related to the QOL features included with the engine. Some QOL features may be broken depending on what GZDoom version you are using (the "browse local files" feature does not exist in 4.8.2 for example, but it will work if you use a dev build) but the base game experience will be fine. Also some cheats are broken in 4.8.2 but they are fixed in the dev builds for GZDoom.

Also, save sharing between the demo and full version does not work in the main GZDoom engine (again, another QOL feature). Saves made with the demo will not be shown in the full version.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

I'm not sure if you care much about mod compatibility, but I've been playing a lot with Gun Bonsai, and it looks like the sword isn't flagged as a melee weapon, breaking mods like that which depend on it? (Also, other things may relevantly need to be such, I just only got to test that far, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to just go and look.)

(I mean, I just pointed zdl at the ipk3 in my steam folder, and gzdoom found the related pk3s just fine without any further work, and I already bought the game so I'm not concerned about demo save carryover, just wanted to know if using gzdoom would break any gameplay features. Thanks!)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'll put that on our bug tracker. Thank you.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

v.1.5.3 mini-patch released!
• GZDoom engine updates, mostly fixing the shell folder open. Now works the same on all platforms and should be more secure.
• Sword is now flagged as a melee weapon for mods/bots that need access to this info
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Hands of Necromancy Patch 2.0 is currently will be released soon on Steam and itch.io!

This patch adds some fancy new features!

Just a preview of what we've accomplished so far:

Sword Alt: Parry. Deflect enemy projectiles back to their source
Fireball Staff Alt: Triple Shot. Shoots 3 fireballs but with less accuracy, slower fire rate.
Ring of Ice Alt: IceThrower. Like a flamethrower but with ice, can freeze enemies.
Tornado Spell Alt: Tempest. Spawn 6 tornadoes that will orbit around the player.
Unholy Grenade Alt: Mine mode. The grenade won't explode until an enemy walks on it.
Pistol Cannon Alt: Snipe mode. More accurate shots that can kill an enemy from afar, it has a little spread.
Scythe Alt: Summon Lemure. Spawn a single Lemure ghost minion who will attack the enemies. Things we are still planning:

Ambient sounds, 3rd attack for the transformations, Rebalancing
More details to come! Stay tuned!
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

That's amazing! Can't wait to try it out.

Absolutely love the tornado alt fire idea. I've always struggled to pull off a similar feature in other mods, so it's great to see something in action.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Emmanuelexe wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:50 am Hands of Necromancy Patch 2.0 is currently will be released soon on Steam and itch.io!

This patch adds some fancy new features!

Just a preview of what we've accomplished so far:

Sword Alt: Parry. Deflect enemy projectiles back to their source
Fireball Staff Alt: Triple Shot. Shoots 3 fireballs but with less accuracy, slower fire rate.
Ring of Ice Alt: IceThrower. Like a flamethrower but with ice, can freeze enemies.
Tornado Spell Alt: Tempest. Spawn 6 tornadoes that will orbit around the player.
Unholy Grenade Alt: Mine mode. The grenade won't explode until an enemy walks on it.
Pistol Cannon Alt: Snipe mode. More accurate shots that can kill an enemy from afar, it has a little spread.
Scythe Alt: Summon Lemure. Spawn a single Lemure ghost minion who will attack the enemies. Things we are still planning:

Ambient sounds, 3rd attack for the transformations, Rebalancing
More details to come! Stay tuned!
That looks wicked. Also just completely changes weapon versatility, so off ill go to make a last minute edit to the review :)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Hold on, this game actually features a firearm? I guess I cannot call it anachronistic given the fantasy setting, but it is rather unexpected for a Hexen-style game! :shock:

In any case, I see it is not a starting weapon, which already makes it distinct from your regular first-person shooter pistol.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

There is a lot of fantasy fps who add retro guns, the lore of the game is about 1600-1800's and its not completely medieval (ex: the farmhouse)
The design of the gun is based on one of the 1800's.

Yeah, its not a starting weapon, we dont put all of them at the beginning and this one is very powerful (even more now).
It's like seeing Witchfire game with castle and saying the machinegun are heresy but the game lore happens in WW2 apparently.

Who care at this point anyway, there is only 1 retro gun :)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Ah, like Torchlight, then. I guess that makes sense. Plus historically, early firearms were already a game changer, if I am not mistaken.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”