Angelic Aviary v1.3 (Eviternity II edition, new angels) Updated 12/29/23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Angelic Aviary v0.97.1: Life and Death (Updated 04/01/20

Post by fakemai »

CherubCorps wrote:Would have never guessed it'd be so effective. May have to edit the amount of damage it does.
I'm surprised if it's supposed to be heavily nerfed against any +BOSS monsters, unless you didn't set it as such. Alternatively D'sparil actively attempts to teleport out of it, much like how the Maulotaur starts charging against the tomed Phoenix Rod.
EDIT: The actual code for the damage reduction since the wiki says little. The special case for D'sparil is further up as well.
EDIT2: I was actually wanting to try this with Guncaster since you say Vindicated works, but I couldn't get the monsters to show up, loaded before or after. I can do it in vanilla Guncaster with the adapter (probably without too but that's an iffy idea for most monster mods, DRLM exempt).
EDIT3: Never mind I figured that out, you have to change the spawner settings, but openmenu CasterMenu to access due to, reasons. New question, how do you actually see the "fun" tags for the different enemies? I assume it's for target-spy and such. That entire list was worth a giggle or two.
EDIT4: I am preferring vanilla Guncaster with the adapter mod by Vindicated's author. Cardinals can be damned lethal if they pin you, or in an E1M4 secret where you get teleported into their presence and you're playing on Dragon difficulty. I've also noticed they give the generic obituary but that seems to be a bug with that mod combination. Anyway I'm having a lot of fun with this.
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

I don't think it'll make a substantial difference. It isn't a matter of ammount. Timebombs are not very useful because most of your chicks fly.
Timebombs can be extremely powerful once you learn how to bait the angels. Many of the angels have windows of opportunity where they are vulnerable to timebombs. For example, after the cardinal attacks, she become tired out and can be bombed easily. Cherubs do 1 damage at melee range so you can gather a bunch of them together and wipe them out with a bomb. Ophanim and Principalities are slow and a player can plant 2-3 bombs before they attack. I might actually extend some of these vulnerable periods to make them more obvious and the bombs more effective.

I love the concept of the timebomb, but I feel the item was never implemented correctly. This mainly has to do with it being tied to the inventory system. Most inventory items are gamechangers except for the timebomb (And Quartz, but that's easy to use). The item isn't rare, but is just uncommon enough so that it encourages hording and makes players afraid to use or experiment with it. Personally, I wish that it was on a cooldown system, but Heretic was designed before cooldown systems were a thing. The goal is to have enough of them drop so that they can be worked into gameplay and players see them more like ammo as opposed to inventory. I also want players to not be worried if they miss with a timebomb in the same way a player isn't super concerned if they miss with a gun and lose a little ammo.

Sorry, that was kinda long-winded. Angelic aviary: Heretic edition is shaping up, but it has a long way to go.
The special case for D'sparil is further up as well.
Oh nice.
how do you actually see the "fun" tags for the different enemies
This is actually an easter egg when playing the game with Codename: Demolitionist (Formally SWWM). I wanna add more custom fun tags at some point.

Glad everyone is enjoying it so far.
RKD

Post by RKD »

You're right about the timebomb being poorly implemented in its vanilla form, haha, but modifying that is understandably out of the scope of this mod so I'll take what you decide it's best :wink:

I do agree that trying to balance this mod for Heretic is hard, so I won't be obnoxious and further the debate. I gotta say, tho, from what I've seen, Principalities always attack immediately as soon as you get in "timebombing" range (granted, they barely do any damage, but if you decide to buff their projectiles someday that could change). So far in my experience, Cardinals and Cherubs are the only ones I find them as effective usage of TB. Ophanims, only half of the times (when they don't spawn in turret platforms, ofc) but you've got a point.

All and all, I appreciate you take the time to polish this to make it work nicely with Heretic. There aren't many monster packs for that game, so stuff like this comes like a blessing from heavens ():) (pun totally intended). Looking forward to v1.0!
fakemai

Post by fakemai »

Random comments, in no particular order but mostly to Heretic.
  • Consider weakening the Heretic versions of angels to not be such a major damage increase over their vanilla counter-parts. Mainly Cardinal, hits harder than Golems (10-40?) and do it twice, and Authority is Revenant missile bullshit 10-80 compared to the 2-16 of the Undead Warrior while the red slashes have possibility to one-shot an unarmored elf boy. These are basic enemies, not bosses, and a lot of Heretic's levels are pretty cramped, plus the odd teleport trap, and the 100% HP limit.
  • Sprite name conflict with Guncaster Addon's "Prophet" kick (KOCK).
  • Cardinal is a bit bigger than Heretic golems, shockingly they're not often jammed in walls but it happens. Probably applies to Ophanim and Principality too.
  • Thanks for clarifying swwmgz_m funtags. The multiple names some angels get though, that ain't gonna work with how it's currently written, which return() to use needs to be randomized, best practice for that in ZScript I don't know.
  • Maybe allow Cherubs to slap with holy water so they are not zero threat close-up, even though that's funny.
  • Ohohoho Principality is water-soluble.
  • An option to disable drops would be nice, at least the ones added by the mod, the time bombs in particular can be a balance issue with weapon mods.
With that I was also trying this with Wrath of Cronos Lite, it's not a sensible pairing with certain classes but it works and it's an option. The lower HP does come to the forefront though even more than it does when used in standard form with Hexen.

EDIT: Forgotten Maidens can't attack until they start moving, in some situations (Heretic E1M1 or E1M2 is great to see it) you can ensure you're pinning them as you free them, in WoC they're experience piñatas.
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

So quick update.

Finally completed the Crusader Queen (At 270 animations frames, she is the biggest enemy yet). With her done, version 1.0 is technically complete. I do want to add a bit more polish, do some testing and add a couple more Easter eggs before releasing it to the public. Version 1.0 will be out sometime this month.
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

CherubCorps wrote:So quick update.

Finally completed the Crusader Queen (At 270 animations frames, she is the biggest enemy yet). With her done, version 1.0 is technically complete. I do want to add a bit more polish, do some testing and add a couple more Easter eggs before releasing it to the public. Version 1.0 will be out sometime this month.
Oh, yes! I can't wait for version 1.0! I've been following your project for a long time and it looks very interesting. It was high time to show that Angels are no better than Demons.

I just don't know on which WAD I should test the new bestiary. I played Eviternity. Does anyone have any ideas?
RKD

Post by RKD »

CherubCorps wrote:version 1.0 is technically complete
Glad to know this mod is close to completion. Looking forward to v1.0! :)
Void Warrior wrote:I just don't know on which WAD I should test the new bestiary. I played Eviternity. Does anyone have any ideas?
There are maps recommendations in the OP, if you haven't checked them yet.
For Heretic, I've played through Curse of D'Sparil and some episodes of H-Zone, but this iwad doesn't include the doll enemies (compensated by all rare birds being more common, at least).
CherubCorps

Re: Angelic Aviary v1.0 (Finished: Updated 07/14/2022)

Post by CherubCorps »

It’s done. After 3 years, 4000 drawings and almost 10k line of code, Angelic Aviary V1.0 is out. All demons have been replaced with custom angels. The project is at a point where I consider it finished. That being said, the mod is not abandoned. I plan to update the mod from time to time, especially in the near future for bug testing, sprite conflicts and balance issues (Both for the Doom and Heretic versions). I also plan to add two extra rare birds at some point and to do something with the icon of sin. There will also be a texture pack at some point which will change hell maps into heaven maps (But this is still a long way off).

Thank you to everyone who has been following and supporting the project all these years. I hope you have as much fun killing these angels as I had making them.

V1.0 Changes
-Final new angel: Crusader Queen (Replaces Spider Mastermind)
The former praetorian guard to the little goddess. Pulled by mechanical horses and surgically grafted onto a hover chariot, the Crusader Queen is more machine than maiden. She can exceed speeds of over 800 KPH, crushing anything that gets in her path. Even without her horses, the Crusader Queen will continue to fight. Crusader Queens are the most powerful warriors in all of heaven. Luckily, they are only a finite number left in existence and are exceedingly rare.
This is the crown jewel of Angelic Aviary. At 270 custom frames of animation, she might be the biggest custom enemy ever made for Doom. She took over six months to fully develop, nearly 6X longer than it took to make the Seraph.

Shotgun Duo
-Shotgun duo will be launched backwards when attacking.

Cardinal
-Added custom elemental death to Cardinal.

Blackbird
-The blackbird is now a stealth enemy. She is completely invisible except for her halo
-Blackbird has custom color scheme to make her different from the Cardinal
-Decreased Blackbird’s health to 125.

Aspect of Iris
-Aspect of Iris butterflies will expire after 15 seconds on the battlefield.
-Increased Aspect of Iris’ weight slightly. Is harder to knock backwards.

Ophanim
-Major behavior change. An Ophanim will open her eye more quickly but will cease firing between phases if the player gets behind cover. Useful if fighting multiple Ophanim in open areas.

Dollmaykr
-Rather than summoning dolls, Dollmaykrs will summon bouncy balls of yarn that spawn into dolls after a few seconds.
-Dollmaykrs will come to a complete stop when attacking or summoning dolls.

Joy elemental
-Added custom elemental death to Joy Elemental

Kiss & Aphrodite’s Kiss
-Aphrodite Kisses launch one arrow instead of three. Her arrow now tracks and will always explode.
-Decreased rate of fire of the Kiss and Aphrodite’s Kiss arrows.

Authority
-Authority wind blades rotate slightly.

Virtue Virgin
-Added animation of Virtue Virgin lifting her legs off the ground to indicate that she is flying.
-Added option to toggle between current Virtue Virgin and legacy Virtue Virgin. Legacy Virtue Virgin is much more powerful while current is the default.

Crucified Seraph
-Removed the fire death easter egg from Seraph and added option to toggle between ragged and nude Crucified Seraphs. The nude version is the correct version, however I want people to be able to stream the mod, so the censored version is on by default. I don’t consider this option as fan service, it is an artistic choice, but I understand that it may make people uncomfortable. There is no difference in how each version plays except for appearance. Use your own judgement when choosing this option.
-The nude crucified Seraph model has been altered to be more blooded, starved, and anatomically correct.
-Removed the Eve hidden boss and incorporated some of her attacks into the Seraph. When the Seraph enters her pain state, she will shoot out ground fire in 45 degree angles. These attacks have also been incorporated into the Great Seraph as well.
-Decreased the speed of the loon blast.

Destroying Angel
-Slightly increased movement speed.
-Custom intro animation.

Willendorf’s Cherub
-Willendorf’s cherubs have Green bows and eyes
-Willendorf’s cherubs lob balls of lightning rather than water balls.

General
-Added custom icon to menu.
-Added fall sounds
-Fixed custom plutonia skyboxes.
-Added more custom enemy sounds.
-Less annoying Cherubs is on by default.

Future plans
-V1.0 Gameplay trailer
-“Textures of god”. A texture pack that turns the realms of hell into an angelic paradise.
-Two additional Rare birds.
-Zandronum edition and updated "lite" edition.
-More easter eggs and non-essential fun stuff.

Download here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/phj517s3 ... 0.wad/file
RKD

Post by RKD »

Congratz in v1.0! Excited to check this out when I get some free time. :wub:

EDIT: It seems that D'Sparil isn't being replaced in this version when loaded with Heretic. All of your angels appear just fine but no Great Seraph in his place.
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

Finally got a gameplay trailer up. Also updated the angel descriptions on the front page.

Currently working on a bugfix update which should be out fairly soon.

AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Blackbird's image link is broken.
fakemai

Post by fakemai »

If you didn't already catch them I have seen Cherubs stuck in ceilings, easiest to see in the Doom 2 MAP01 secret with the switch to the courtyard. Also Crusader Queen's second form halo is on her feet (intentional?) and as an enemy, I like dancing with her second form a lot, but her first form seems easily neutered where pits are (Doom 2 MAP06 may just be an awful example). Otherwise, shotgun doll recoil was a sorely needed touch I love it, as well as the new Cardinal death, those are probably my favourite enemy in the mod next to the Ophanium.
Solaela
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Solaela »

CherubCorps wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:41 am
-Final new angel: Crusader Queen (Replaces Spider Mastermind)
The former praetorian guard to the little goddess. Pulled by mechanical horses and surgically grafted onto a hover chariot, the Crusader Queen is more machine than maiden. She can exceed speeds of over 800 KPH, crushing anything that gets in her path. Even without her horses, the Crusader Queen will continue to fight. Crusader Queens are the most powerful warriors in all of heaven. Luckily, they are only a finite number left in existence and are exceedingly rare.
This is the crown jewel of Angelic Aviary. At 270 custom frames of animation, she might be the biggest custom enemy ever made for Doom. She took over six months to fully develop, nearly 6X longer than it took to make the Seraph.
Why does this sound like it's gonna be a PAIN to fight?
CherubCorps wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:41 am -“Textures of god”. A texture pack that turns the realms of hell into an angelic paradise.
Oh heck yes. It feels kinda off going into the hell stages and these angels are like 'oh hi there' and there's not many WADs that have a 'heaven' feel to them as far as I can see which considering what doom is... Well that's kinda understandable.
PatCatz2004

Post by PatCatz2004 »

Okay Imma say this real quick since I have tested each new version of this mod and its complete version, CherubCorps

This mod actually works in LZDOOM very well. I had no hiccups, and it worked very smoothly as a resort.

But, I left infinite height on cuz I didn't know how to turn that off.
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

fakemai wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:57 am If you didn't already catch them I have seen Cherubs stuck in ceilings, easiest to see in the Doom 2 MAP01 secret with the switch to the courtyard. Also Crusader Queen's second form halo is on her feet (intentional?)
Thanks for pointing that out. Trying to get that fixed.

So the crusader queen flips upside down in her second form, hence why her halo is below her.

Next update is coming along swimmingly. People have been complaining about the angel's voices being too shril or "anime" so I'm adding an option to disable the angel voices people don't want. You can even disable all the voices and just have sound effects if you want. It will be up with the next update.

If they are any other options people want, feel free to post.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”