[0.3.1] Indestructable: second wind/death rage mechanic

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

[0.3.1] Indestructable: second wind/death rage mechanic

Post by ToxicFrog »

This minimod adds a mechanic inspired by War of Attrition's "Death Rage" and the "Second Wind" mechanic found in some modern FPS games: when you take lethal damage, instead of dying, you instead become an unstoppable engine of destruction. The effect is short-lived and has limited uses, however, and once you run out, your next death is for real.

I designed this when playing a lot of Map Order Shuffle with Compendium, Lexicon, and pistol starts; I'm not good enough to reliably pistol-start all those maps and wanted some sort of extra lives mechanic, but not the "respawn at the start of the level" kind. Thus, this mod. It should be compatible with just about anything, and I've tested it with a variety of gameplay mods and TCs without issues.

It also has a bunch of configuration options so you can adjust how powerful the effect is, how many times it can trigger, and how extra lives are earned to your liking.
Spoiler: Documentation & Downloads
Spoiler: Demo Video
Last edited by ToxicFrog on Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:55 pm, edited 11 times in total.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [0.2.0] Indestructable: second wind/death rage mechanic

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

This is possibly because I'm using a dev build, but when I try to load the addon, I get this crash.

EDIT: I think its because I didn't notice the required mod. May want to make that a bit more obvious :P
Attachments
image_2022-07-31_121628149.png
image_2022-07-31_121628149.png (6.83 KiB) Viewed 10442 times
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

I've made the note about that on the release page more prominent, thanks.

I really wish zscript had a better solution to shared dependencies than a choice between "put it in a separate pk3 and crash on startup if it's missing" and "bundle it with every mod that uses it but rename every single class to avoid conflicts if multiple mods depend on it". Maybe someday...
mamaluigisbagel

Hopefully, but time will tell.

Will btw add I don't know if your mod "Laevis" has a topic of its own, but wanted to say I'm loving it so far! Glad I looked around that github a bit more.
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:Hopefully, but time will tell.

Will btw add I don't know if your mod "Laevis" has a topic of its own, but wanted to say I'm loving it so far! Glad I looked around that github a bit more.
It doesn't yet, because I'm still putting the finishing touches on v0.8, recording a demo video, swapping out the working name for the real name, etc -- I hope to release it officially later today. I'm glad you're enjoying it!
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

This is awesome, definitely putting this into my autoload as a permanent addon.

Normally when I die in Doom I need to reload an autosave that requires me to then retread the steps I took before I died - which all feels bothersome and lame, especially when it was a cheap shot that killed me. This mod solves that perfectly, allowing me to stay in the action and enjoy the game, but still have some element of pushback to signal when I actually dun goofed vs got fragged by a sudden cheap shot.

Thank you for making and sharing this.

Btw that other mod (Laevis) sound awesome too, really excited when that gets released!
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

Spaceman333 wrote:This is awesome, definitely putting this into my autoload as a permanent addon.
That makes me super happy! I make these mods primarily for my own enjoyment, but it always delights me to know that other people are enjoying them too.

Btw, Laevis has now been released (under its final name Gun Bonsai); the thread is here. It has optional integration with this mod (so you unlock Indestructable features as a player upgrade), but you can also just use both of them normally with no special integration.
mamaluigisbagel

Is there any way to either customize the colors used for when you go into Indestructable or to use the invulnerability colors set in the options for it? The white and red REALLY hurts my eyes and makes it hard for me to use this mod.
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:Is there any way to either customize the colors used for when you go into Indestructable or to use the invulnerability colors set in the options for it? The white and red REALLY hurts my eyes and makes it hard for me to use this mod.
Not at present, but I don't think it would be hard to add -- I can probably have 0.2.1 out sometime this evening.
ToxicFrog

Release: 0.2.1

Post by ToxicFrog »

0.2.1 released; download it here or from the OP.

It adds an option to change the visual effect on activation: in additional to the original red and white, you can choose inverse, desaturated, one of four different colours, or disable it entirely.
ToxicFrog

Release: 0.2.2

Post by ToxicFrog »

This is a bugfix release that removes a stray debug logging message from 0.2.1. Download here or in the OP.
ToxicFrog

Re: [0.2.2] Indestructable: second wind/death rage mechanic

Post by ToxicFrog »

No changes to Indestructable itself, but the download page has been updated with a new version of libtooltipmenu that properly scales the tooltip text based on screen resolution.
ToxicFrog

Release: 0.2.3

Post by ToxicFrog »

This is a bugfix release; Indestructable should now work properly with death exits and pistol starts, treating them the same as if you'd started a new game.
Nems
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: [0.2.3] Indestructable: second wind/death rage mechanic

Post by Nems »

Really digging this so far. It makes playing certain map(set)s a lot more tolerable. I do have a suggestion though. Could it be possible to have the option to choose between time stop and slow mode? I noticed that while under the effects of time stop you can't pick up anything (at least I couldn't when I was playing this with Doom Incarnate).

Looking forward to further development of this mod. <3
ToxicFrog

Re: [0.2.3] Indestructable: second wind/death rage mechanic

Post by ToxicFrog »

I'm really glad you're enjoying it!

The timestop effect shouldn't remove your ability to pick things up (or shoot, flip switches, or open doors) -- it only freezes (most) enemies and projectiles in place. So this is a weird interaction with Doom Incarnate specifically -- it works fine in vanilla, MetaDoom, etc.

Slow mode isn't something built into the engine¹; existing slow-motion effects do it by either rapidly toggling the Freeze effect on and off (e.g. Slomo Bullet Time, the "slow motion" effect as Freeze is wearing off) or by finding everything in the level and carefully adjusting its physics and interfering with its ability to process tics (e.g. Bullet Time X). So it's not as simple to implement as freeze, but it would be pretty cool to have, either as a builtin feature or as an optional integration with one of the existing slomo mods. I'll think about it, but don't expect it soon.

In the meantime, if you're playing with mods that don't respond properly to time freeze, you can always change the Indestructable settings to just give you invulnerability and bonus damage without stopping time.

¹ ok, there's i_timescale, but that has a bunch of undesireable side effects

Return to “Gameplay Mods”