DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRL Arsenal Extended build]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Your favorite Monster Pack for DoomRPG?

DoomRL Monsters Pack Beta 7.3
72%
Pandemonia Monsters v2.2
5%
Colourful Hell v0.99b
16%
DeHacked Attack 4.0
4%
Rampancy 2.0
3%

Total votes: 74

wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: DoomRPG Rebalance [DoomRPG + DoomRLA build]

Post by wildweasel »

By the sound of it, your hardware is getting closer to the bottom end of what's playable with this combination of mods, as there's a lot of CPU intensive stuff going on. You'll probably still be able to play it fine with some preventative measures, like reducing the screen scale factor and disabling texture resizing and post processing.
nobrains21

Post by nobrains21 »

:roll:
wildweasel wrote:By the sound of it, your hardware is getting closer to the bottom end of what's playable with this combination of mods, as there's a lot of CPU intensive stuff going on. You'll probably still be able to play it fine with some preventative measures, like reducing the screen scale factor and disabling texture resizing and post processing.

Yes, in my case tuning down custom pixel scaling alone was enough to make it run smoothly. The only place I have fps drop is the hub world, but its meh and does not really have any significant effect on the overall experience.

I was simply confused by the fact that it forced high def. scaling by default, which pretty much reduced my fps to 1. The game runs just fine with scaling reduced. I don't even need to enable the toaster-mode or disable post processing. I don't really mind playing it scaled down, its looks great either way in my opinion. I also thought that someone else might get confused too by it and have no idea what to do with it. That's why I suggested lowering settings by default instead of having it run in 1080p.

The other thing I could also recommend is going in to [DRLA options/Monster Pack options] and turning off "fancy gore effect". With this effect - when monster explodes it gets shredded in to million bits. Bits that stay on a floor for a long time and do reduce my fps if there are a lot of them. And there ARE a lot of them. I was lucky enough to spawn as a technician with an elephant gun, which makes everything you kill explode. It was not very fun, mainly because those monster bits were literally everywhere. Not a fan. But its just me.

Thank you.
lucker42

Post by lucker42 »

nobrains21 wrote:
My suggestion would be to either lower scaling to a minimum(960x540) by default and telling ppl that this is something they could change after, or include two versions of the config file with different presets- low and high end one, so ppl can choose. This is not a bug or your fault really, but some one with and old rig might appreciate that. Starting a game and having it immediately running below 1 fps(or low fps in general) might scare some ppl off.
Thanks for the feedback!

That makes sense. I fixed the configuration file in the build.
quarterpipe

Post by quarterpipe »

Hey,

I noticed there's no compatibility fix for the DRLA Frontline Engineer's sentry gun that the Demolitionist class gets. DoomRPG-RLArsenal\actors\doomrl\Armor.txt defines new actors for the other four class variants, but the demo actor replacement is missing. I was starting to go mad trying to figure out why the actor killing everything didn't have a TID.
lucker42

Post by lucker42 »

quarterpipe wrote:Hey,

I noticed there's no compatibility fix for the DRLA Frontline Engineer's sentry gun that the Demolitionist class gets. DoomRPG-RLArsenal\actors\doomrl\Armor.txt defines new actors for the other four class variants, but the demo actor replacement is missing. I was starting to go mad trying to figure out why the actor killing everything didn't have a TID.
Thanks for the feedback!

Fixed this in the latest build.

The last buld can be downloading from the link in the top thread.
quarterpipe

Post by quarterpipe »

Might I suggest the following changes to Minigame.c:

Code: Select all

[...]
    Player.InMinigame = true;

int Duds, Index;
    bool runIsHeld = false;
    int ChipDelta = 0;

// Set the HUD Size
    SetHudSize(640, 480, false);
[...]
        if (CheckInput(BT_BACK, KEY_PRESSED, false, PlayerNumber()) && !Started)
        {
            ActivatorSound("menu/move", 127);
            ChipIndex++;
            if (ChipIndex > 3) ChipIndex = 0;
        }
        runIsHeld = (CheckInput(BT_SPEED, KEY_HELD, false, PlayerNumber()));
        if (CheckInput(BT_MOVELEFT, KEY_PRESSED, false, PlayerNumber()) && !Started)
        {
            switch (ChipIndex)
            {
            case 0: // Rarity
                if (ChipRarity > 0)
                {
                    ChipDelta = runIsHeld ? ChipRarity : 1; //Number of chips to remove: either all of them, or just one
                    ChipRarity -= ChipDelta;
                    ChipTotal -= ChipDelta;
                    Repick = true;
                }
                break;
            case 1: // Amount
                if (ChipAmount > 0)
                {
                    ChipDelta = runIsHeld ? ChipAmount : 1;
                    ChipAmount -= ChipDelta;
                    ChipTotal -= ChipDelta;
                    Repick = true;
                }
                break;
            case 2: // Duds
                if (ChipDuds > 0)
                {
                    ChipDelta = runIsHeld ? ChipDuds : 1;
                    ChipDuds -= ChipDelta;
                    ChipTotal -= ChipDelta;
                    Repick = true;
                }
                break;
            case 3: // Speed
                if (ChipSpeed > 0)
                {
                    ChipDelta = runIsHeld ? ChipSpeed : 1;
                    ChipSpeed -= ChipDelta;
                    ChipTotal -= ChipDelta;
                }
                break;
            }
        }
        if (CheckInput(BT_MOVERIGHT, KEY_PRESSED, false, PlayerNumber()) && !Started && ChipTotal < (Rare ? CheckInventory("DRPGChipPlatinum") : CheckInventory("DRPGChipGold")))
        {
            switch (ChipIndex)
            {
            case 0: // Rarity
                if (ChipRarity < 10)
                {
                    ChipDelta = (Rare ? CheckInventory("DRPGChipPlatinum") : CheckInventory("DRPGChipGold")) - ChipTotal; //Number of chips we haven't already committed
                    ChipDelta = runIsHeld ? (10 - ChipRarity > ChipDelta ? ChipDelta : 10 - ChipRarity) : 1; //Number of chips to add: all of them, to a maximum of ten; or just one
                    ChipRarity += ChipDelta;
                    ChipTotal += ChipDelta;
                    Repick = true;
                }
                break;
            case 1: // Amount
                if (ChipAmount < 10)
                {
                    ChipDelta = (Rare ? CheckInventory("DRPGChipPlatinum") : CheckInventory("DRPGChipGold")) - ChipTotal;
                    ChipDelta = runIsHeld ? (10 - ChipAmount > ChipDelta ? ChipDelta : 10 - ChipAmount) : 1;
                    ChipAmount += ChipDelta;
                    ChipTotal += ChipDelta;
                    Repick = true;
                }
                break;
            case 2: // Duds
                if (ChipDuds < 10)
                {
                    ChipDelta = (Rare ? CheckInventory("DRPGChipPlatinum") : CheckInventory("DRPGChipGold")) - ChipTotal;
                    ChipDelta = runIsHeld ? (10 - ChipDuds > ChipDelta ? ChipDelta : 10 - ChipDuds) : 1;
                    ChipDuds += ChipDelta;
                    ChipTotal += ChipDelta;
                    Repick = true;
                }
                break;
            case 3: // Speed
                if (ChipSpeed < 10)
                {
                    ChipDelta = runIsHeld ? (10 - ChipSpeed > ChipDelta ? ChipDelta : 10 - ChipSpeed) : 1;
                    ChipSpeed += ChipDelta;
                    ChipTotal += ChipDelta;
                }
                break;
            }
        }
a new bool and int, and some bits and pieces before and inside the left and right input blocks, so you can hold shift to add/remove the maximum number of chips instead of mashing your keyboard a bunch.

EDIT: I suppose you'd need to add a line to the controls readout too.
lucker42

Post by lucker42 »

quarterpipe wrote:Might I suggest the following changes to Minigame.c:....
No problem. I'll add it in my spare time! You can also suggest your edits on Github via Pull Requests.

EDIT: To the "develop" branch:
https://github.com/WNC12k/DoomRPG-Rebal ... ee/develop
CzudakCzudak

Post by CzudakCzudak »

Awesome to see the development going strong. The combination machine is an outstanding addition, and the same goes for the operation unit.

I'm also seeing more chips dropping from NPCs now, so I feel less inclined to hoard them (and spend them in bulk after 20 hours ingame, when I have more than a hundred, hehe)!

A suggestion: since the ammo dropped from NPCs comes only in half of the usual amount, what about including new instances and new bundled messages for them? Like Picked up a half spent box of shotgun shells instead of Picked up a box of shotgun shells or Picked up a short clip instead of Picked up a clip? Since I used to be a fan artist, I can edit the graphics to present the usual assets as shorter, smaller, half spent/drained, and etc. as long as I would know where to find them.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
lucker42

Post by lucker42 »

CzudakCzudak wrote:Awesome to see the development going strong. The combination machine is an outstanding addition, and the same goes for the operation unit.
Thanks for the feedback!
CzudakCzudak wrote: A suggestion: since the ammo dropped from NPCs comes only in half of the usual amount, what about including new instances and new bundled messages for them? Like Picked up a half spent box of shotgun shells instead of Picked up a box of shotgun shells or Picked up a short clip instead of Picked up a clip? Since I used to be a fan artist, I can edit the graphics to present the usual assets as shorter, smaller, half spent/drained, and etc. as long as I would know where to find them.
It would be great to have a separate graphic for half-ammo. I like this idea.
CzudakCzudak wrote:I don't know if it's intended (v1.30a): the Magnetize skill jumped immediately to the second level of investment even though I only purchased the first tier. This is a repetitive behavior every time.
This is normal behavior. This skill now has two modes:
1. it collects items around the player;
2. it collects items into the player.

Since there is not much difference in functionality, I have made it free to increase the level of the skill, as well as leaving the cost unchanged.
CzudakCzudak wrote:And one more thing: what those messages of "some very good shit you might want is here" when teleporting to UAC Outpost mean? I can't remember if they were in the original mod, and searching the outpost 25 times didn't yield any results (though I didn't use cheat codes).
It's simple. In DoomRLA, these messages appear on the maps where the rare unique things (weapons or armor). In the outpost they can randomly appear in the store. That's why this message comes out. Of course it makes sense to add conditions so it does not appear in Outpost. But I did not get around to it.
quarterpipe wrote:Might I suggest the following changes to Minigame.c:
I did this in the last build.
CzudakCzudak

Post by CzudakCzudak »

It would be great to have a separate graphic for half-ammo. I like this idea.
Very nice. Point me to a guide on how to unpack and/or decompile the graphic assets, and I will handle the rest. Or, if you have time, send me the assets (though I would prefer a guide/tutorial, so I would know what to do on my own in future situations).
Armage

Post by Armage »

Hi!

I tested here DoomRL Extended and don't work here on LZDoom. 2 decorate errors. So i disabled and everything back working normal like before.

And hey, i tested Toaster Mode and oh my god, you are a genius, seriously! What this mod does, what this mod disable? I say because i see the game running more smoothly, is very very cool!

Congratulations for this new update, nice additions :)
lucker42

Post by lucker42 »

CzudakCzudak wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:36 amVery nice. Point me to a guide on how to unpack and/or decompile the graphic assets, and I will handle the rest. Or, if you have time, send me the assets (though I would prefer a guide/tutorial, so I would know what to do on my own in future situations).
You can use the "Slade" to extract the resources from the original doom2.wad.
Armage wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:02 amI tested here DoomRL Extended and don't work here on LZDoom. 2 decorate errors. So i disabled and everything back working normal like before.
Thanks for the feedback. This error appears only on the LZDoom engine? No problems with other engines?
Armage wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:02 amAnd hey, i tested Toaster Mode and oh my god, you are a genius, seriously! What this mod does, what this mod disable? I say because i see the game running more smoothly, is very very cool!
When Toaster Mode is turned on:
- increases the delay time of each cycle in some scripts (the most influential result gives an increase in delay in DoomRPG Monster's scripts. Example: without Toaster Mode on, the delay in each cycle is 10 ticks (about 1/3 of a second), with Toaster Mode on, the delay is 35 ticks (1 second). It's good for performance.
- added a check in scripts DoomRPG Monsters to see if the monster sees the player or not. Thus, on large maps (more than 200 monsters), DoomRPG Monster's scripts will not be activated until the player appears in sight or within close range.

Thus, with Toaster Mode turned off, on maps with 1000 monsters you will have 3000 cycles of Doom RPG Monster's scripts per second. While with Toaster Mode on, it may be 300 cycles per second, depending on conditions.

Also, the Toaster Mod on adds things like:
- the laser on the turret is not displayed;
- removed the display of fill bars in the styme menus.
And so on.
CzudakCzudak

Post by CzudakCzudak »

Alright, the stuff is done. From what I understood from SLADE documentation, the graphics are "indexed" and the default color for the transparency is white.

I have no idea what next, though, but the packed sprites are in the attachments.
Smaller Ammo Pickups.png
Smaller Ammo Pickups.png (5.33 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
Attachments
Edited Sprites.zip
(18.8 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Armage

Post by Armage »

lucker42 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:25 pm
CzudakCzudak wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:36 amVery nice. Point me to a guide on how to unpack and/or decompile the graphic assets, and I will handle the rest. Or, if you have time, send me the assets (though I would prefer a guide/tutorial, so I would know what to do on my own in future situations).
You can use the "Slade" to extract the resources from the original doom2.wad.
Armage wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:02 amI tested here DoomRL Extended and don't work here on LZDoom. 2 decorate errors. So i disabled and everything back working normal like before.
Thanks for the feedback. This error appears only on the LZDoom engine? No problems with other engines?
Armage wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:02 amAnd hey, i tested Toaster Mode and oh my god, you are a genius, seriously! What this mod does, what this mod disable? I say because i see the game running more smoothly, is very very cool!
When Toaster Mode is turned on:
- increases the delay time of each cycle in some scripts (the most influential result gives an increase in delay in DoomRPG Monster's scripts. Example: without Toaster Mode on, the delay in each cycle is 10 ticks (about 1/3 of a second), with Toaster Mode on, the delay is 35 ticks (1 second). It's good for performance.
- added a check in scripts DoomRPG Monsters to see if the monster sees the player or not. Thus, on large maps (more than 200 monsters), DoomRPG Monster's scripts will not be activated until the player appears in sight or within close range.

Thus, with Toaster Mode turned off, on maps with 1000 monsters you will have 3000 cycles of Doom RPG Monster's scripts per second. While with Toaster Mode on, it may be 300 cycles per second, depending on conditions.

Also, the Toaster Mod on adds things like:
- the laser on the turret is not displayed;
- removed the display of fill bars in the styme menus.
And so on.
Hi! Here i can't run GZDoom, because my low end machine. If i try, newer versions need OpenGL 3.2, 3.3, if i try GZDoom 4.7.1, runs very slow, lol.

Nice nice, i see! Then Toaster Mode runs like 3x more fast in ticks, 35 from 10 or 3000 cycles to 300 cycles is like 10x more performance.

This is the why i see big differences! Really congratulations, now i can play DoomRPG with better performance, and disabling the other options you recommended runs better yet!

Really thanks and continue with your very good work :)
CzudakCzudak

Post by CzudakCzudak »

Hi! Here i can't run GZDoom, because my low end machine. If i try, newer versions need OpenGL 3.2, 3.3, if i try GZDoom 4.7.1, runs very slow, lol.

Nice nice, i see! Then Toaster Mode runs like 3x more fast in ticks, 35 from 10 or 3000 cycles to 300 cycles is like 10x more performance.

This is the why i see big differences! Really congratulations, now i can play DoomRPG with better performance, and disabling the other options you recommended runs better yet!

Really thanks and continue with your very good work :)
You can get more performance with Vulkan set as the "Preferred Rendering API" as well.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”