Old forums theme?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Dan_The_Noob
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Old forums theme?

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

is there a way to get the old forums theme back somehow?
the new version is a mess and the "view your posts" button is in a dropdown now :(
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Old forums theme?

Post by wildweasel »

None of the old themes are compatible with the new version of the forum software. It can be added to the wishlist, but be aware, that's a very long list, and the focus is on getting the basic experience working first.
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

I second the notion for the old theme back at some point in the future, the Prosilver Dark theme is easily the best of whats available now but I don't really like it, tbh I never have been a fan of dark modes for any program and always disable them whenever possible. Unfortunately the other themes are just horrendous in my opinion, so Prosilver Dark it is for now.
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

wildweasel wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:18 pm None of the old themes are compatible with the new version of the forum software. It can be added to the wishlist, but be aware, that's a very long list, and the focus is on getting the basic experience working first.
ah righto... is it possible to at least change the quote button back to text and move the view your posts button back where it was somehow?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

More things for the ever-lengthening wishlist. :shrug:
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

I'm fine with what we have, though I'd appreciate left-aligned boxes (though that's easy to DIY with user CSS apparently?) and a prosilver variant similar to the old brown (though again, I could also DIY it).

I did live up to my promise of using subsilver2 until the last possible moment, though sadly that skin was abandoned eons ago and I'd absolutely not expect anyone to port it on their own time for free.
Chaosvolt

Post by Chaosvolt »

I agree that it'd be nice to have viewing the post list up front again, but at this point I'm just happy I remembered my password again, damn thing logged me out and "forgot password" option was a 404. >_>
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Chaosvolt wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:47 pm I agree that it'd be nice to have viewing the post list up front again, but at this point I'm just happy I remembered my password again, damn thing logged me out and "forgot password" option was a 404. >_>
That's one for the "ZDoom.org Bugs" subforum, I think. Be right back...

[edit] Hmm. Doesn't seem to happen for me; it either got stealth-fixed, or it threw the wrong error message at you for some other kind of problem.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

nginx and phpBB never got along well, and with phpBB 3.1.x and later it got even worse. Newer versions of phpBB use a special file called "app.php" which URL's as a subfolder but web hosts are supposed to automatically be able to truncate the string following app.php and translate it into a query string to pass to it directly. A lot of functions are routed through here - the FAQ, reporting posts, forgot password, etc. The phpBB devs seem to stubbornly believe that the entire world has to use a single httpd server (in their instance - Apache).

Well - nginx does not have this automatic handling, so it had to be done by hand for several hours, editing the nginx config repeatedly and reloading the server config until I got it working.

So yeah, it was fixed recently.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

If anyone is interested, here's the CSS I'm using locally to restore left-aligned profiles and immediate visibility of the "Quick Links" menu items (Your Posts, New posts, etc.):

Code: Select all

/* Align profile information to the left */
.postprofile {
    float: left;
    border-width: 0 1px 0 0;
    margin: 10px 10px 5px 0;
    padding: 0px 5px 0px 0px;
}

Code: Select all

/* Expand and always show Quick Links menu entries */
li#quick-links {
    line-height: 1.0em;
}

li#quick-links > a {
    visibility: hidden;
    position: absolute;
}

li#quick-links .dropdown {
    display: inline-block;
    border: none;
    position: static;
    padding: 0px;
    margin-right: auto;
}

li#quick-links .dropdown .pointer {
    display: none;
}

li#quick-links .dropdown .dropdown-contents {
    display: block;
    background: none !important;
    box-shadow: none;
}

li#quick-links .dropdown .dropdown-contents li {
    display: inline-block;
}
These snippets both appear to work with all of the current theme options:
Last edited by AFADoomer on Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Player701

Post by Player701 »

Hoping the brown theme could be brought back someday. Been using that one for ages, after the upgrade it just doesn't feel the same anymore... :(
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

wildweasel wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:18 pm and the focus is on getting the basic experience working first.
A skin that doesn’t actually, not-a-joke-or-exaggeration hurt my eyes seems like a pretty essential addition. Who do I have to bribe to get the old tan colour scheme pushed to the front of the queue?
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

When I realized that brown theme is gone, I tried using the prosilver dark, and meh...the non dark version is better. I just need to get used to the new colors. I like the new fast reply function, much better! :D
Last edited by ramon.dexter on Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Kinsie wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:46 pm
wildweasel wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:18 pm and the focus is on getting the basic experience working first.
A skin that doesn’t actually, not-a-joke-or-exaggeration hurt my eyes seems like a pretty essential addition. Who do I have to bribe to get the old tan colour scheme pushed to the front of the queue?
Anyone who can do CSS can make a new skin.

You can use the element inspector that is available in nearly all browsers to change the colours to your liking - record the elements that are changed, put them in a new CSS file.

I've archived all the classic styles here:
https://github.com/ZDoom/zdoom-styles

Also the old dev environment I used to give to style authors is here: (you can set it up and make the styles "live" so that you can see how they worked)
viewtopic.php?t=56934

If anyone wants to translate them to the newer versions of phpBB feel free.

This archive includes all the classic phpBB styles that ZDoom used to use, as well as the two Lud/Accensus additions that came in the past decade. The most valuable part of this endeavor will probably be harvesting out the colour hex triplets from the old .css files to reuse them in remaking the styles again.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Why can't the old themes be converted? Is the new format this different? One would expect that the developers of the forum software cared more about upgrade capabilities, but stuff like this breaking between versions is what makes people not upgrade their software.

Return to “Off-Topic”