War Rooster v1.3 (20/08/2022)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: War Rooster v1.1 (Updated 16/07/2022)

Post by openroadracer »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Thanks for trying it out!

Maybe i haven't expressed myself correctly about some things, so let's go to them:

The Grease Gun is not in the game yet, it will only be avaiable in the next update, which should come out soon; i'm still in the testing phase and incorporating the works of many talented partners who decided to colaborate.

About the reloading speed decrease, i thought i got rid of that in the latest update, but i clearly forgot to remove it from some weapons ; the next update will probably get rid of all speed penalties, since this is not a survival mod in any means.

So, in hope this will keep you tuned around: if you had a good time playing it, the next update will make you enjoy it twice as more. ;)
Ah, okay, Grease Gun's not in yet, that settles my mind on that one.

As far as which weapons have the movement penalty while reloading, it felt like it was all of them; but I can't really be sure. I didn't get that far, though some enemies did start dropping M60s, so I had the majority of the arsenal.
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

Actually, Cosmobyte, a thought came to me overnight about the Grease Gun:

Make it a regular drop, that's more common than the M16. Then, after you sweep enough levels of all enemies, you get an Ingram MAC-10 with attached suppressor.

If you wanted to do more with this idea, you could also have the mod play a snippet of Warren Zevon's "Jungle Work" when you get the MAC-10.
LoreCannon

Post by LoreCannon »

I spent 9 hours going through various wads for this. I am not a big vietnam era fan.

You, have created something special here. Be proud, and for quite a few people here offering "advice", my suggestion is ignore them for the most part. I for one enjoy the spray and pray mechanics. This is WAR, ain't yo momma's tacical shooter.

The hallucinations were a *chef's kiss* excellent touch. And the M60 scream? Oh... baby...

Excellent. What a bad-ass experience.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Well, thank you kindly!

As i promised openroad up here, just wait until you see the next update, because it'll feature new weapons, better animations, new hallucination behaviours, many cool things!
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

you know. i can see this mod being the perfect thing to play PSX Doom & Final Doom CE with :)
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

LoreCannon wrote:Be proud, and for quite a few people here offering "advice", my suggestion is ignore them for the most part. I for one enjoy the spray and pray mechanics. This is WAR, ain't yo momma's tactical shooter.
I must play too much on Trailblazer, then, which makes me more used to my bullets going where I'm aiming.
Baratus
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Baratus »

This mod is fantastic - the weapons feel weighty and powerful, and the ghost enemies introduce a new level of tension and atmossphere. Of course, it takes a bit of map knowledge to know if there really is a Revenant around the corner or not. You don't get Revenants in most MAP01 after all - oh wait.....

Great mod for loading up atmosphere-enhancing mods like Footsteps and Dark Doom - really makes the combat weariness and tension sink in. Glad I finally got around to playing this, your mods always feel good and polished, and offer something a bit different to the standard cartoonish power fantasy while not being quite as nailbitingly merciless as HD and the like.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: War Rooster v1.2 (UPDATED! 01/08/2022)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Thanks to you guys so much for the feedback!

After some more testing, i couldn't hold myself and had to release this brand new update!
This update is basically an overhaul of the mod, complete with many aesthetic and code changes to make it better.

There's 5 new secret weapons, new reload animations, new options to enable auto reload and disable the Super Shotgun fear powerup, better animations, better behaviours, some new sounds and fixes over all. I stood two weeks testing, playing and changing, so apologize me if i couldn't keep track of everything.

To obtain the new weapons, all you need to do, is to get 100% kills in the stage! Doing it three times unlocks your first weapon, three more stages and you'll unlock a new one. And so on!

Anyways, you can download it HERE, or in the front page. Have fun!
Spoiler: Changelog
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

I get mouse jumps/jitter with recoil enabled :/
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Unless the recoil quake effect on every weapon are constant, non-stop and stuff, i'm sure it's simply a feature. No glitches are happening on my end.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

I set i_timescale to 0.25 to make it easier to notice.
It stops happening when I remove the SPF_INTERPOLATE flag from A_SetPitch and A_SetAngle inside the A_GunFeedbackLVx functions.

Back when the Smooth Mouse Movement option existed, enabling it would also fix it, but in turn introduce constant mouse input lag.
Either I'm just super perceptive, or if I'm really the sole person with this problem, then I'm not sure if it's a driver or hardware related issue.
Happens no matter which of the 4 renderers I choose, nor if I switch to software or hardware rendering, nor does changing vid_maxfps or toggling V-Sync.
Except when I disable render interpolation, which obviously caps the framerate at 35 per second.

I opened an issue for this 4 years ago but got told that it's not a bug/working as intended, then asked for it to be reopened but no one cares.
Guess I'll just take the path of least resistance then and remove the flag from my end every time a new version comes out and call it a day.
PandaDoomer

Post by PandaDoomer »

StroggVorbis wrote:I set i_timescale to 0.25 to make it easier to notice.
It stops happening when I remove the SPF_INTERPOLATE flag from A_SetPitch and A_SetAngle inside the A_GunFeedbackLVx functions.

Back when the Smooth Mouse Movement option existed, enabling it would also fix it, but in turn introduce constant mouse input lag.
Either I'm just super perceptive, or if I'm really the sole person with this problem, then I'm not sure if it's a driver or hardware related issue.
Happens no matter which of the 4 renderers I choose, nor if I switch to software or hardware rendering, nor does changing vid_maxfps or toggling V-Sync.
Except when I disable render interpolation, which obviously caps the framerate at 35 per second.

I opened an issue for this 4 years ago but got told that it's not a bug/working as intended, then asked for it to be reopened but no one cares.
Guess I'll just take the path of least resistance then and remove the flag from my end every time a new version comes out and call it a day.
No, its not just you, and this happens even with interpolated A_SetViewPitch and A_SetViewAngle as well.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

So why even use this flag in the first place then? Seems like it does the opposite of what it's supposed to do, kinda like that old 90's game I forgot the name of where there's supposed to be an optional damage upgrade but the devs accidentally swapped the bits around and this made it so you have the enhanced damage from the start and what awaits you is a downgrade.
PandaDoomer

Post by PandaDoomer »

StroggVorbis wrote:So why even use this flag in the first place then? Seems like it does the opposite of what it's supposed to do, kinda like that old 90's game I forgot the name of where there's supposed to be an optional damage upgrade but the devs accidentally swapped the bits around and this made it so you have the enhanced damage from the start and what awaits you is a downgrade.
They do actually smooth out the change in pitch/angle as advertised, but they also mess with any mouse inputs made during that time when they obviously shouldn't be.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

StroggVorbis wrote:So why even use this flag in the first place then? Seems like it does the opposite of what it's supposed to do, kinda like that old 90's game I forgot the name of where there's supposed to be an optional damage upgrade but the devs accidentally swapped the bits around and this made it so you have the enhanced damage from the start and what awaits you is a downgrade.
Faxanadu.

Thanks for bringing the subject up. I'm hoping either wildweasel or Rachael are reading this right now, as it was a problem in another mod i have made- Nightmare Logic.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”