DoomRLA EXTENDED [1.1c] - Two new classes! More stuff!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: DoomRLA EXTENDED [0.8be] - New class, the Sarge!

Post by Cutmanmike »

I've had a few reports of the Spectre familiar doing that, oops. Will be fixed!
Cutmanmike

Re: DoomRLA EXTENDED [0.9be] - New class, the Sarge!

Post by Cutmanmike »

Updated to fix the Spectre familiar crash and other reported issues. Also Sarge gets a fancy new mug sprite thanks to Craneo!

DRLA Extended 0.9 (beta)
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I'd like to suggest the following additions to Checksums.zscript to ensure players still unlock familiars if they beat slightly different versions of IWADs.
Spoiler:
I still haven't done a thorough check to see if the Xbox/BFG IWADs have any further differences to either 1.9 or each other, but I did check TNT's maps and it seems the checksum for Map27 (603032BBF28C9347784536022B3C5CBE) isn't included. Also, does it matter if the checksums are in all-caps?
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

I will have to acquire these IWADs to confirm these checksums, I don't have them currently.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

No need, I did it all myself.
Spoiler:
Again, sorry if capital letters make a difference and they have to be weeded out. I may also compare the BTSX episodes to their Unity addon counterparts and share any differences I find there.

EDIT: Turns out the only different map in the Unity versions of BTSX is E2M14, so I've added it to the above.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Ok added. Also changed my code to accept case differences in checksums.
quarterpipe

Post by quarterpipe »

I've noticed the arachnotron familiar tends to vanish near the beginning of most maps. It looks like after target re-acquisition it tries to jump to the ReMissile label, which doesn't exist, so it dies. Changing that to Missile seems to fix it.

Great mod, by the way.
quarterpipe

Post by quarterpipe »

It also looks like the nomad familiar's passive applies once for each nomad, plus one, so one nomad gives a 30% damage increase per fancy weapon, two nomads give 45%, three give 60%, etc. The increase is certainly welcome, but I'm guessing it's not intended to work that way.

EDIT: It looks like the nomad initially gives +15% per weapon, but after changing maps the first time it increments to +30%. Dunno why that is.
Last edited by quarterpipe on Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

What is ROM3R-0.666? I thought it referred to the Technophobia difficulty's Icon of Sin replacement, but beating that didn't get me the achievement.

I also thought "encounter a dog" had something to do with playing a map that happened to feature the MBF helper dog, like this one, but it seems I was mistaken there too.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

ROM3R-0.666 is from the Corruption Cards mod I made (seems If forgot to mention that in the achievement, oops). The dog is something you can encounter in DRLA via a certain weapon.
quarterpipe

Post by quarterpipe »

A few more things I've noticed:
-I can't find any way to unlock the chaingun guy and pain elemental familiars. The feed-me-a-weapon machine won't give them out, and I don't see anything that unlocks them.
-The hell knight familiar passive works on non-cooldown powerups, like the phase armor effect, and the mysterious magnum infinite ammo effect. I added c.Mid(c.Length()-8, 8) == "Cooldown" as a prerequisite because that seems to be the naming convention DRLA uses
-The passive also works on every tic instead of every tenth tic, so instead of reducing cooldowns by 33% it cuts them by 83%. This seems unintentional, because 1/6 armor ability cooldowns is pretty nuts.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

Is there a way to banish familiars? Or, ideally, turn off their attacks and visibility, but keep their passive effect. I find the familiars really distracting, and usually try not to get one, but every now and then I accidentally use the wrong item or similar.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

I would at least like some way to toggle or for them to be either time-limited or map-limited. They're occasionally detrimental (Mancubus in tight corridors, generally with LegenDoom Lite if they set off enemies at bad times). Also their green sparkles are a bit too close to those of the instagib Pain Elemental. Stacking too many gets pretty powerful too like those old wyvern idols in Guncaster.
TheSlayer

Post by TheSlayer »

Hey CutManMike, just wanted to say i'm loving the work with what you've done plus the Corruption Cards (legit they've added alot of more fun replaying WADs)
as for a possible idea, do you think it's possible to work a Random option into the mod when choosing a class?
so like one time you pick it you're the Renegade, but the next time you pick it you're playing the Sarge etc. etc.
Dan_The_Noob
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

TheSlayer wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:00 pm Hey CutManMike, just wanted to say i'm loving the work with what you've done plus the Corruption Cards (legit they've added alot of more fun replaying WADs)
as for a possible idea, do you think it's possible to work a Random option into the mod when choosing a class?
so like one time you pick it you're the Renegade, but the next time you pick it you're playing the Sarge etc. etc.
a "Random" class would be cool too, one that changes every map. (would need some carryover for things like mod space and things, or maybe can make the cap lower without losing some, but unable to pickup new ones until you use below the limit)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”