Hands of Necromancy [Full game released!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Hands of Necromancy [Demo available!]

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Just a minor thing I have noticed, a missing 3d floor
Spoiler:
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Ozymandias81 wrote:Just a minor thing I have noticed, a missing 3d floor
Spoiler:
Thanks, what map is it, map01?
edit, found it, its map05
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Since it is listed as a option - Wouldn't the requirements for the minimum not be lowered from OpenGL 3.3 to anything with OpenGLEs 2.0?
Since you are using a custom Build with this enabled, why not promote it?

I did gave some feedback on DW, and will provide some more provided time allows it (Currently in the process of moving. Mid-july ill be moved over fully and i can get a detailed rapport up)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

OpenGL ES is not officially supported. You are missing features using that backend. We did not actively block the option since it does still technically run, and doesn't impact the experience in any meaningful way (a few objects are just less pretty is all) - but it's on the same status as running Windows 11 on an 11 year old machine. We will not actively suggest using that backend in any official capacity.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

We plan to make an update of the demo soon, saves are not guaranteed to work with gzdoom updates so be sure to not update your game or finish the game if you are close to do it!
The update will feature:
-Rework of the Ring of Ice.
-Volume ajusted for some sound effects, modified choices of some sound effects.
-Fixed bugs and flaws for the most.
-Balance of some weapons, buff of power and nerf of ammo items/max ammo.
and other things
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Redneckerz wrote:Since it is listed as a option - Wouldn't the requirements for the minimum not be lowered from OpenGL 3.3 to anything with OpenGLEs 2.0?
Since you are using a custom Build with this enabled, why not promote it?

There's a difference between "minimum supported specs" and "absolute minimum this can run on", You set your "minimum supported specs" to what your customer support can reasonably handle. If you set your specs too low you will inevitably run into support problems later because you promised that it would work so you have to take care of it. Explicitly promoting it would even be commercial suicide, because that low end of the spectrum is people on ancient machines they most likely run because of their financial constraints making them even less likely to be paying customers - and if they buy anyway they'll hound you for every problem they experience.

TBH, if I released a game today with GZDoom I wouldn't even bother setting the minimum to anything less than OpenGL 4.2. Doing that will exclude all the lowest end crap in the market that'd create the worst performance issues that are most likely to reach customer support. (I also wouldn't bother with a Mac version because these also tend to be a hassle for customer support.)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Graf pretty much echoed my thoughts to a tee.

And come to think of it there's no way OpenGL 3.3 hardware can run this game at the intended frame rate in every situation - setting the minimum requirement to OpenGL 4.2 at least sets a baseline with what we think would be the minimum hardware to have a good experience.

To be clear - we're not against people running this game on any hardware that it will run on. We just don't want to offer a commercial support line for it.

EDIT: In fact, I'm going to go head and bump the OpenGL minimum for this reason. Again - we're not going to block it from running on OpenGL 3.3 hardware, or even using OpenGL ES to run it on older hardware - this is more of a defensive measure for our tech support team when the game is released.
RKD

Post by RKD »

Emmanuelexe wrote:We plan to make an update of the demo soon
Awesome news! Also love the feedback others gave. I've just finished a 2nd run of the demo, this time on Master difficulty, and I got some more (hopefully) thoughtful feedback. May be a little outdated by now, so disregard whatever doesn't apply anymore. :stuppor:
It's frigging long, apologies in advance...
Spoiler: Enemies
Spoiler: Weapons (a)
Spoiler: Weapons (b) and items
Spoiler: Maps, bug reports
Alright, that was a lot. I get carried away easily... I swear this is the last one.
Spoiler:
Ok, if you read everything... sorry :lol: and thanks for your time. Hope at least one line of text be helpful to you.

I don't think I've got more to say, tbh, except that I really like the work that has been put into this game. I'm gonna definitely support it when it fully releases and I'm pretty excited for whatever else it's gonna be in there. I think this has a lot of potential to fill a niche that other supposed "spiritual successors" of Heretic/Hexen haven't been able to fill, at least for me (heck, I even think I'm gonna like this one more than Amid Evil). I only hope it won't become too niche. I want others to also play it and enjoy it, after all. :wink:

Looking forward to v1.0! :wub:

It's almost 4 am! What am I doing with my life!
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

For the golem transformation, hit a little over the center of the crack sprite, it should work, there is no need to use the berserker fist.
Making elements weapons like ice not working on Ice Golem could kill the fun, its not a rpg game and even in RPG you don't have that (or ice vs ice with low damage but same problem)

Automap stuff is all fixed in the next update
Maybe we could nerf the stun effect on some enemies yeah

Thx for some bugs reports!

We will announce soon a date for the full release, now we won't change the gameplay with all the ideas but we will remember it ;)
(for after 1.0) :)

EDIT: We have a release date for the full version!

Annoncements: Full Release date!
Hands of Necromancy will be released on June 20!
At 10AM (UTC-8)
Prepare your spells, prepare your transformations, we hope to see you in the world of Hands of Necromancy!
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

that's good feedback, RKD. I agree with everything i think (maybe except the Amid Evil - combat there is much more refine, like the sword projectile is also blocking enemy projectiles, or mace spikes are soo satisfying).

i agree the names are dull, and RKD proposition could spark some interest in them.

Make ice golem resistant to ice. It make sense. Ice ring is the best weapon. "not a rpg" - games emulate some fictional world in EVERY game. in heretic you couldnt hit ghost with a physical weapon - never seen anyone saying it kill the fun - HOWEVER not being able to hit ghosts with powered stick in Heretic, i think pissed off lots of players, that go out of ammo, and think using tome of power would be clever.

i think some weapon should not work underwater (or work differently). for gameplay/thematic reason. fire staff - water extinguish fire; ice ring - it freezes water so it cant create projectile, like in air; tornado - this could work, because water current is the medium now,

Could you left pain lock for sword as it currently is? You nailed this melee weapon. And i want to play demo again just to try, if i can complete it with sword only. With pain nerf it could become much more wearing.
RKD

Post by RKD »

Emmanuelexe wrote:For the golem transformation, hit a little over the center of the crack sprite, it should work, there is no need to use the berserker fist.
Oh, I see. I went to check and that did the trick, thanks! I guess the cracking texture is slightly offset then.

Btw, I forgot to mention:
  • Torch item in Factory is reachable but jumping from the first step of the stairs next to the crack. Maybe it was intended?
  • I haven't heared "chasing" sounds when monsters are active and the player is outside of their line of sight. Are these absent (like ambient noises) or are they just very low in volume? I use speakers so I may've missed them.
  • Pickup sounds are... not sure how to describe them... Not that bad but they could be better?
Lagi wrote:i think some weapon should not work underwater (or work differently). for gameplay/thematic reason.
While I agree it would be cool, I think the issue lays in the engine. My understanding of scripting stuff in GZDoom is still very limited (so anyone is free to correct me) but I believe this is not that easy to do, since "water" is just a 3D floor tagged as swimmable. I'm not sure if it's possible to check if the player is in a sector underwater or above it and change weapons behaviour accordingly, at least not without some complex zscript-witching-hackery. I don't know the intricacies very well, but I guess it would be just "too hard to do for what its worth"? :?
Lagi wrote:Could you left pain lock for sword as it currently is?
Hey, that totally sounds like a nice gimmick effect (assuming monster pain chances were less likely overall). I'm guessing it should only have a 100% pain chance only when "powered" (with "ammo" left). If one runs out of "ammo", the damage weakens as it currently is and pain chance could also reduce, to keep weapon balance. It would still be a high risk, high reward approach against melee and the player would still get rekt when dealing with ranged enemies, since they're very likely to hit you before you close the distance (specially zombies and tri-fire cultists). Yeah, it could totally work, imo. :D

EDIT: Noted the release date and checked the hour difference. It'd be available at 15:00 hs in my utc. Awesome 8-)
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

"Torch item in Factory is reachable but jumping from the first step of the stairs next to the crack. Maybe it was intended?"

It was fixed :>
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

A small issue with the required specs: Even for macOS it says "OpenGL 4.2", but Macs only support 4.1, even for better hardware
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thanks, updated the minimum to Metal.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

While I can't remember atm in which sounds folder they are, but some of them have a mistyped .oga format instead of .ogg

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”