[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Kinsie »

Something about the modified civillian doesn't seem quite right to me. I think his arms are a little thinner than the traditional Id style? Not sure. I might try hacking the Strife peasant arms on later and see where that takes me.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Kinsie wrote:Something about the modified civillian doesn't seem quite right to me. I think his arms are a little thinner than the traditional Id style? Not sure. I might try hacking the Strife peasant arms on later and see where that takes me.
well, although I know what you mean its important to bear in mind that hes not a pumped marine nor a musclebound imp. he's just a scared punk-kid in a tshirt running for his life...

I suppose not everything humanoid in doom looks best with the exact same easthetic, just look at this posessed:
scawny as funt...
Xim

Post by Xim »

osjclatchford wrote:
Xim wrote:Here's my updated recolor of osjc's innocent civilian.
noice!
I'm glad you like it. I'm a big fan of your sprite work!
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Xim wrote:I'm glad you like it. I'm a big fan of your sprite work!
well yeah, its never a bad thing to have multiple options out there...
Xim

Post by Xim »

osjclatchford wrote: well yeah, its never a bad thing to have multiple options out there...
Yeah I had the idea for a simpler looking cartoonish sprite for a personal project, and the character looked similar enough I thought I'd do it with this sprite. Now we can have lots of different looking t-shirt dudes running around!
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

osjclatchford wrote:well, although I know what you mean its important to bear in mind that hes not a pumped marine nor a musclebound imp. he's just a scared punk-kid in a tshirt running for his life...
I know, that's why I mentioned the Strife peasant, since they're kind of a baseline for "normal person" doom proportions.

Grabbed some ref, tried a couple things.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Kinsie wrote:
osjclatchford wrote:well, although I know what you mean its important to bear in mind that hes not a pumped marine nor a musclebound imp. he's just a scared punk-kid in a tshirt running for his life...
I know, that's why I mentioned the Strife peasant, since they're kind of a baseline for "normal person" doom proportions.

Grabbed some ref, tried a couple things.
Image ;D

looks bang on...
Bjecinst
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bjecinst »

tried my hand (ha!) at making my own hands again, this time using a photo i took myself and some frankenspriting
hand is meant for the "load two" method of loading a shotgun where you load two shells in succession while the gun is flipped upside down (specific, i know! :biggrin:)
Bjecinst

Post by Bjecinst »

"what demons? lmfao"
casually doubleposting for a casual doomguy/marine
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

decided to give this another go today:
the 'Slayer's Legacy' chaingun skin. the best features of the chainguns that came before it. all in one mean package...
now with multiple barrels on the muzzle, all spinning, unlike before where it just had the fixed one like on doom64's CG.
I think I decided I didn't like that in the end...

the frames are also sclaed and shaped better in general...

again, its based off of eriances original black changun from an early demon eclipse beta...
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Ooooo now it's extra shiny!
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Captain J wrote:Ooooo now it's extra shiny!
I know, its mental right?
considering that it was as black as the shotgun/supershotgun orignially.
It actually took quite a bit of fudging to get the light levels where I wanted them without making it look 'crusty' a bit of smoothing and blending and 'shining' after the fact cleaned it up real nice.

I just loved the form of the doom64 chaingun over the original, it actually has perspective to it, the classic one is kinda flat, like its pointing up in front of the player, not slung-low in front of them, and the eriance one is based on that, so I figured it would be perfect with a bit of value-alteration to be a kinda go between of the two. kinda a doom 32 chaingun LOL!

The barrels on the end came from the perkristian smooth classic chaingun and help sell the rotation effect even more. its kinda silly though because in truth you'd not see the end of the barrels past the front 'ring' at this angle. At first I had it like that but it just looked too much like the beta chaingun without them and it made it feel unfinished somehow.

I also just realised that this chaingun only has four barrels. yep. look at it again. four. can't unsee it now eh?

the pickup is a hash-together of the classic, doom64 and the latter demon eclipse chaingun's barrels (the three barreled triangular one)
At first I was on the fence about using it for this sprite, as I say, its for a triple barreled hud sprite but now I see this one is a four barreled weapon you could easily argue that the pickup is viewing the gun with two of the four barrels directly facing the player? as opposed to one at the top and two in line at the bottom?
meh!
it matters not, original doom has all inds of inconsistancies like that anyway, the spidermastermind gun on the model had three barrels, then the sprite has six, the pickup and hud weapon had six and the chaingunners seem to swap between four and six barrels between walking and firing frames. so its 'go figure' I suppose.
methinks I'm giving this all a lot more thought than any of it deserves...

anyway CHAINGUNS!
Bjecinst

Post by Bjecinst »

yay chainguns!!!
uses the plain ol' Doom 1/2 chainsaw for the left grip and Smooth Doom's Doom 64 chaingun for the barrels,
just desaturated, made shinier, and a bit more squash horizontally to enunciate the long-ness a chaingun tends to have :biggrin:
(also, with muzzleflash frames if you want that supreme-o flare experience)
Bjecinst

Post by Bjecinst »

Screw it, another double post.
made a handless version of Captain J's angled and properly scaled marathon shotgun, comes in two flavours:
True Colour - ie, how it looked when i finished it from the get-go, and,
Butchered Doom Palette - self explanatory
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

The detail you put on this is amazing. Excellent work!

Return to “General”