Hands of Necromancy [Full game released!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Swordman

Re: Hands of Necromancy [Demo available!]

Post by Swordman »

I've tried a bit of the demo. Is it normal to have frame drops?
They don't happen in the hub, but in one of the levels whenever I look at this zones: https://imgur.com/a/GwfugsQ
The one in the water especially only happens when looking from up there. The fps drops are not really a deal breaking issue, just kinda of annoying how the game goes from 120 fps to 40 fps whenever i look at those zones.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Congratulations on the release!

So far, I am just disappointed that I cannot use mods with the demo due to its shareware nature; mainly, I wanted to see if NightFright's excellent Fullscreen Status Bar mod was compatible. Oh well!

Anyway, is there a way to disable the weapon name display every time it is selected? It is a neat future at first, but it might prove slightly annoying once I become familiar with the game.

Also, in the Player Setup menu, there is an incorrectly-titled option: "PLYRMNU_VERTSPREAD".

Finally, will there be a way to rebind the key for the Objectives journal?
Thanks for the report, for the objectives journal, there is an option to rebind the key yes, its in "customize controls" > "Toggle Objectives/Hints"
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Swordman wrote:I've tried a bit of the demo. Is it normal to have frame drops?
They don't happen in the hub, but in one of the levels whenever I look at this zones: https://imgur.com/a/GwfugsQ
The one in the water especially only happens when looking from up there. The fps drops are not really a deal breaking issue, just kinda of annoying how the game goes from 120 fps to 40 fps whenever i look at those zones.
This will happen with older hardware. When you're looking ahead the BSP parser for GZDoom only has to do a frontal walk. When you look up or down it has to do a rear walk as well, which can cost a bit of processing speed. This gets even more complicated with portals present in the area, such as with water or underpasses. Normally you should not notice it with multi core processors but if your hardware is fairly well aged, you probably still will.

The system requirements for this project have been listed as fairly high, for this reason. It certainly will run on any hardware that GZDoom supports but we cannot officially support such use cases. We do not even officially support OpenGL ES, even though it does run (you will be missing some features though).

Any hardware made within the past 5 or so years will easily fall within the required system specs. Past 7 years for gaming hardware. Anything older than that - you are on your own and this is part of the reason why we released a demo, so that you can see if it works with your hardware.
Spoiler: Windows
Spoiler: Mac
Spoiler: Linux
One thing you can try to see if it alleviates some of your issues is render at half-res (console command vid_scalefactor 0.5) - it may speed things up a little bit for you.
RKD

Post by RKD »

The Farmhouse is the only level where this happens, presumably for the sheer ammount of vertices, sectors, slopes and other geometry being rendered at once while looking to certain spots. I play on a laptop and can confirm that, while there is a drop in fps, it keeps in a playable margin (I think that is thanks to not having overpopulation of enemies, which would be really detrimental in this map, so well done there).
Emmanuelexe wrote:The Iron Key was supposed to be used in the switch who open the bars of the golem transformation platform but we thought it was a bit annoying to have to go back completly if you didnt have the key for the switch
You are not wrong thinking that. If I had made it to the bars that leads to the golem pick-up and had to go all the way back, I would've been slightly pissed. It is a really long way, indeed. So here is a suggestion that I think solves the possible skipping part while keeping the map intact (the current progression steps work well as it is right now, imo):

Just move the door from the start of the platform to the end. That way, even dropping down doesn't let you skip the door and there will still be plenty of map to explore after getting the key, instead of having 90% of the map explored if the key opened the bars above.
Swordman

Post by Swordman »

Rachael wrote:
This will happen with older hardware. When you're looking ahead the BSP parser for GZDoom only has to do a frontal walk. When you look up or down it has to do a rear walk as well, which can cost a bit of processing speed. This gets even more complicated with portals present in the area, such as with water or underpasses. Normally you should not notice it with multi core processors but if your hardware is fairly well aged, you probably still will.

The system requirements for this project have been listed as fairly high, for this reason. It certainly will run on any hardware that GZDoom supports but we cannot officially support such use cases. We do not even officially support OpenGL ES, even though it does run (you will be missing some features though).

Any hardware made within the past 5 or so years will easily fall within the required system specs. Past 7 years for gaming hardware. Anything older than that - you are on your own and this is part of the reason why we released a demo, so that you can see if it works with your hardware.
Spoiler: Windows
Spoiler: Mac
Spoiler: Linux
One thing you can try to see if it alleviates some of your issues is render at half-res (console command vid_scalefactor 0.5) - it may speed things up a little bit for you.
I understand, but I believe my pc, while being low end by itself, it falls into the recommended specs: rx 550 4gb, 12 gb ram and an i3 9100f with sse4.2. I ran gzdoom with vulkan by the way.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The stand-alone Mac OS version (*not* the Steam version) has been updated. Apparently .zip's are total crap at keeping the necessary file system permissions working for the app bundle to work, so it's been uploaded as a .dmg file instead.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

RKD > its 3D floor all around, could need to make a vertical door i believe so i will put the Iron Key locker just here:

It leads to the golem/cracked wall room (for the firekey), its not too late in the map.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Emmanuelexe wrote:Thanks for the report, for the objectives journal, there is an option to rebind the key yes, its in "customize controls" > "Toggle Objectives/Hints"
Ah! I see it. Thank you!

So far, I must say, it feels a bit like I am playing an Iron Lich from Heretic, especially when I use the Tornado Spell. About damn time I get to inflict it upon enemies instead of the opposite!
RKD

Post by RKD »

Emmanuelexe wrote:its 3D floor all around, could need to make a vertical door i believe so i will put the Iron Key locker just here
I should've taken the 3D floors into consideration, my bad. That other door also works satisfactorily as a locked one, imo, for the reasons previously stated. Glad you found a solution :)

I beat the demo but I'm gonna make a replay on the hardest difficulty before giving any more feedback. One thing, though, I'm unsure if it's a bug or not but the lift close to the Dragon Key in the Farmhouse doesn't do anything. I mean, it lowers once you activate the switch next to it but it doesn't go up again, making it pointless.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Indeed for the lift!

"Master" difficulty is fast monster mode (no respawn) :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Just beat the demo and this is so cool!! Necromancers usually appear as villains but this game breaks this particular cliche! Also it has nice atmosphere an a soundtrack. Kinda like Heretic's and i love it.
Spoiler: Hear ye, hear ye. Ye olde Feedback's here!
Said matters and audio feedback aside, this is one promising and great game! I certainly can't wait to play other episodes as well! Looking forward to next update.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Yes, Berserker Fist/Hand increases fire power x2 and Berserker Head increase defense x2, i plan to post a manual/tips later in the steam page
Thanks for the reports and feedback! :)
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

i have complete the demo. Levels are great. This transformations are really neat way to grant access to other parts of the level. map wise you take hexen formula and really show how it should be done. Map searching was very nice. I like that bit in Farmhouse, when part of the bridge collapse and its underwater.

I very like the sword as weapon. 2 hitting everything feels good.

ice golem should be invulnerable to ice spell.
tornado could be homing to the nearest target. Its both nice and annoying feature, which would make precise, railgun ice shoots having its own application.

i think there should be more enemies on the maps. killing enemies feels very satisfying (even without gib state). Its great that monstes are often going into pain state, so when i shoot them i see that my attacks are working.

there should be more usable items. like bombs, or some traps that move/push/pull enemies. Or you could increase/decrease enemy size = it die in narrow corridor when enlarge. I stick mostly to the sword, (its super hard to not be low on health when you are in constant melee) but i still manage to complete game with multiple red and yellow potion.

if i transform into golem, i could be invulnerable to 3x ball acolyte attack. This would allow to create map where to move past turret monsters, you would have to turn into golem.
ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

Hey Rachael et al! I just played your guys' game on the middle difficulty, and I thought I'd leave some feedback. I know it's not complete yet and you probably plan on many changes and additions going forward, but I'm just going to dump my thoughts and you can do whatever you want with them :) I'll begin with the cons and then move to pros so you can end on a more positive note for each category :)
Spoiler:
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

We are a small studio, and this is our first major commercial project. We are dedicated to making our game fun and enjoyable. We take your input very seriously, and we want to thank all of you for your feedback, bug reports, and suggestions. We are putting bug fixes and important updates/changes on high priority.

Unfortunately, we cannot promise that we can entertain or implement every suggestion. Again, we are a small team, and we must focus our resources on the most significant fixes and improvements the game may end up requiring.

Even still, we appreciate you taking the time to offer your ideas, and we cannot thank you enough for playing our game. :)

V1.0 is planned for the end of the month maybe is everything is ok :wink:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”