Hands of Necromancy [Full game released!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Hands of Necromancy [Demo available!]

Post by Rachael »

Lagi wrote:guys cant await to mod your game :D
I will be quite eager to see that. :)

When the full version of the game is released we will be encouraging modding - even releasing mod tools directly via Steam (along with all relevant source codes and their original checkout URLs).

(And yes before anyone gets on my ass about it - we already made the engine repo public - I really do need to make that URL more visible, my apologies)
https://github.com/HandsOfNecromancy/Ha ... ncy-Engine
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I've read the engine description on GitHub, but it doesn't really go into specifics. Out of interest, what would you say are the main key differences between GZDoom and the HoN engine?
RKD

Post by RKD »

Emmanuelexe wrote:"Berserker Head" who divide the damage /2
Aside from the healing potions, I've only encountered this head item so far and my first thought upon getting it was "What does this do? It has berserker in its name, so it must be a melee damage powerup (to temporarily go sword-slashing stuff)". I had no idea it's supposed to halve damage received. :lol:
Perhaps it would be nice to have a codex entry or a manual in the menu or as a hotkey, kinda like "O" opens the objectives (thanks for tracking objectives, btw) explaining what these items do instead of playing a guess game. Or at the very least, the cheapest solution I can think of is to have a brief description of the items above the status bar whenever you cycle through them in the inventory.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Enjay wrote:I've read the engine description on GitHub, but it doesn't really go into specifics. Out of interest, what would you say are the main key differences between GZDoom and the HoN engine?
Nothing that would prevent the mod (in its current state) from running on GZDoom.

It is there as a compliance to the GPL license since that is the base that the engine is compiled from. It is a fair bit modified from GZDoom, however, it has some features that GZDoom does not, such as changed defaults, and a few things that have been [No]'d in the past (that the game does not use).

For the most part it is there because of branding, more than anything. The game has always been developed on mainline GZDoom, most of the time using whatever the latest version of GZDoom at the time was, I think. No one really used the internal engine build for anything except testing. So if you prefer to use GZDoom to run the game you are free to.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OK, cool, thanks. Well, it's certainly a nice little game so I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses. Will it be available anywhere other than Steam?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yes - the plan is to distribute it via GOG and EGS and a few other indie outlets, if possible. Now that the demo is released we can probably actually look into those now.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Very cool. I hope it all works out.

I didn't even realise that EGS published independent games.
SaveTheDoomer
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by SaveTheDoomer »

There is an alternate (non-steam) link to download the demo?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Rachael's first post on page 3 has links to the demo.
RKD

Post by RKD »

Just wanted to point out that the sign is there alright.
Spoiler:
I do think all signs should be brighter or something, so they stand out better instead of blending so well that they are hard to notice. For example, having the inscriptions be lit (making them look like magic letters).
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

That's a good idea for the sign, we will try to fix the most stuff we can :)
RKD

Post by RKD »

So, uh... I think I accidentally found an exploit that lets you skip the first key completely. In my defense, I didn't knew which one of all the keys in the objectives list was the first one.
Spoiler: Dumb meme warning
For those who still haven't played this and don't want a mini-walktrough of where to go first, avoid the next spoiler:
Spoiler: Actual exploit
On a little side note, this one is not related to the exploit I mentioned but I noticed that, when transformed in Golem, cycling through your weapons (mouse wheel in my case) prints an unintended message:
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Thanks for the report!
The Iron Key was supposed to be used in the switch who open the bars of the golem transformation platform but we thought it was a bit annoying to have to go back completly if you didnt have the key for the switch so we put it in a "possible door", i think we will just reput the door free to be opened and keep the switch for the Iron Key as it was planned basically
SaveTheDoomer
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by SaveTheDoomer »

Enjay wrote:Rachael's first post on page 3 has links to the demo.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Congratulations on the release!

So far, I am just disappointed that I cannot use mods with the demo due to its shareware nature; mainly, I wanted to see if NightFright's excellent Fullscreen Status Bar mod was compatible. Oh well!

Anyway, is there a way to disable the weapon name display every time it is selected? It is a neat future at first, but it might prove slightly annoying once I become familiar with the game.

Also, in the Player Setup menu, there is an incorrectly-titled option: "PLYRMNU_VERTSPREAD".

Finally, will there be a way to rebind the key for the Objectives journal?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”