Doom HD sprites (Not upscaled) Update 26.9.2023

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SamIam76

Re: Doom HD sprites (Not upscaled) Update 24.5. 2021

Post by SamIam76 »

Ok, got it to work with the textures to show up. Needed to delete qZDL.ini and restart everything again. That was the problem that "cache" had to be cleared first.
It seems that I also managed the reflecting issue on the new materials.

Thank you anyway for response.

Are there new sprites you plan to actually rework for Doom?
Marcelus

Post by Marcelus »

SamIam76 wrote:Ok, got it to work with the textures to show up. Needed to delete qZDL.ini and restart everything again. That was the problem that "cache" had to be cleared first.
It seems that I also managed the reflecting issue on the new materials.

Thank you anyway for response.

Are there new sprites you plan to actually rework for Doom?
sometimes it helps when you change the order of the mods in ...gzdoom.ini Yes, I still want to finish the lights and make weapons. Now I want to finish hexen, then doom 64 and return to the first two dooms. Yesterday I try upscale classic monsters but doom has very small sprites and good look after upscale only cacodemon, cyberdemon and pinky. Especialy cacodemon surprised me how good look but soldiers looks very bad. Imp relative ok. If you want I give you link for download but this works only with default game or with mods without change monster sprites.
SamIam76

Post by SamIam76 »

That sounds great. I also tried with new weapons but they were too big in game (compared to monsters) so I use the upscaled ones from the Brutal Pack neural upscale.

Oh, cool, I would really appreciate it if you could send me your link with the monster files. That would be the next step I wanted to do too.
Yes you are right, some monster textures like the soldier ones lack of detail massively.

What I do actually is substitute the textures and sprites which are additional/different by Brutal Pack and remain lowres even when using DHTP2019.
So I will play Doom with BP, DHTP and your textures.
If you want I can also share with you what I did till now.
Marcelus

Post by Marcelus »

SamIam76 wrote:That sounds great. I also tried with new weapons but they were too big in game (compared to monsters) so I use the upscaled ones from the Brutal Pack neural upscale.

Oh, cool, I would really appreciate it if you could send me your link with the monster files. That would be the next step I wanted to do too.
Yes you are right, some monster textures like the soldier ones lack of detail massively.

What I do actually is substitute the textures and sprites which are additional/different by Brutal Pack and remain lowres even when using DHTP2019.
So I will play Doom with BP, DHTP and your textures.
If you want I can also share with you what I did till now.
is nothing special but try if you want. Soldiers are removed because do not look good after upscale. Other are relative ok. Not good not bad

skl.gif
skl.gif (29.38 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
cyber.gif
cyber.gif (55.68 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ODJ7lK ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Marcelus on Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamIam76

Post by SamIam76 »

Great!
Can you tell me which program you used for neural upscaling the monsters?
Marcelus

Post by Marcelus »

SamIam76 wrote:Great!
Can you tell me which program you used for neural upscaling the monsters?
DCCIx2 from g_mic plugin (is under repair group). Is little blured but edges are smooth with minimal transparent edges and details are fine. Other upscalers too much distort shapes and colors. Fine is also waifu but via waifu are not edges good. Waifu is fine for textures.
SamIam76

Post by SamIam76 »

Thank you!
Marcelus

Post by Marcelus »

Almost done. All three colors

Marcelus

Post by Marcelus »

Finished

all three colors

Marcelus

Re: Doom HD sprites (Not upscaled) Update 1.5. 2022

Post by Marcelus »

Update 1.5. 2022

Long torches, all colors.

download from first post.
Marcelus

Post by Marcelus »

Backpack
backpack.png
Last edited by Marcelus on Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcelus

Post by Marcelus »

I redone pockets. I think now looks better

Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The pockets and the pack in general looks good - but those big round holes that the straps go through just don't look right to me. Surely they would be more like slits in the backpack material (canvas/leather/whatever) rather than huge round holes like that? (Less problematic, but also worth considering: the rings for the straps are more likely to be squarish (or flat on one side) too. All impossible to tell from the original pixellated sprite, of course.)

[edit]Now that I look more closely at the rings and straps - how are they meant to be working? They looks as of the straps are just kind of laid on the rings and not threaded through or actively holding things closed in any way. I can see that there is some shading going on to make them look like they are going through somewhere but I just can't make sense of how they are supposed to be threaded.[/edit]
Marcelus

Post by Marcelus »

Better ? I do not want it change too much because in game looks different from original sprite.
backpack.png
here is how looks original backpack sprite with bicubic upscaling
BPAKA0.png
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Definitely looks better.

I get what you mean about not wanting to stray too far from the originaly sprite, but all of the relevant areas in the original are just 1 pixel tall (and 2 pixels wide) and I feel that the bicubic upscale that you posted has had it appearance altered by the upscaling. It has taken a couple of 1x2 pixel sized areas and has rounded their edges during the upscaling process. To my eye, the original holes could be round or slits, and the rings could also be round or square.

Just a straight enlargement (for forum visibility) with no resampling.

So, in an area with so little detail, I guess it's up to you to provide what you think looks best. Personally, I feel that slits and squared (or semi-circular) loops are far more likely to be on a military backpack but what you've done also looks good so whatever you're happy with is best. :)

Even looking at the "buttons" on the pockets - the originals are just 2x2 squares. The bicubic upscale makes them look round but they could easily be rectangular/square catches/fasteners like on most modern backpacks.

The whole thing looks a bit old-fashioned though, compared to present-day backpacks. Much like the big fat CRT monitors all over doom, the wooden shotgun....

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”