Bullet-Eye - v0.12.5b - 3/5/24 - Even More Improvements!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Weapon Family Do You Find Yourself Using Often?

Power
29%
Area
6%
Rapid
29%
Tech
24%
Support
No votes
Melee
12%

Total votes: 17

Linz

Re: Bullet-Eye - v0.11.8b - Frozen Wrath - 5/4/22

Post by Linz »

Oh one other thing

While it's neat that the Frost Snap can make vending machines invisible for a few so you can interact with stuff, you might wanna add some info that explains that it can do that

Will hopefully save you from headaches from people who didn't bother reading the changelog and complain about it I feel

Another thing, I found this...really bizarre thing where if you do a quick melee while charging the Buster you just go zooming. I have no idea if this is intended or not but it is kinda funny

(Maybe it has something to do with the Hasty Threads? I say maybe because this works while standing or airborne, while the Hasty Thread's effect only works if you're crouched)

Third thing: I had a thought, how about some special support for Corruption Cards? I had this thought where you can gain a GP multiplier or something depending on how debilitating the card you choose. I dunno if this is a good idea or not but it just came to me and I wanted to hear what you think
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Linz wrote:While it's neat that the Frost Snap can make vending machines invisible for a few so you can interact with stuff, you might wanna add some info that explains that it can do that

Will hopefully save you from headaches from people who didn't bother reading the changelog and complain about it I feel
Yes there are a lot of things that need to be documented somewhere, but it keeps slipping my mind. I'll make a few more help screen pages to list some features so players don't have to read the changelog or the topic to get their info.
Another thing, I found this...really bizarre thing where if you do a quick melee while charging the Buster you just go zooming. I have no idea if this is intended or not but it is kinda funny

(Maybe it has something to do with the Hasty Threads? I say maybe because this works while standing or airborne, while the Hasty Thread's effect only works if you're crouched)
The Buster and Quick Melee combo is actually intentional and is a reference to the Shinespark from Super Metroid. It deals quit a bit of damage to enemies, but may be difficult to hit them with it. I did want to add more hidden functions like that on weapons (at least mainly Tech) but they would have to be fitting - then again they would not really be too hidden as there aren't many button combinations that could be used to hide them in the first place. Also, I am most likely going to change the Hasty Treads effect since it seems to be very unpopular.
Third thing: I had a thought, how about some special support for Corruption Cards? I had this thought where you can gain a GP multiplier or something depending on how debilitating the card you choose. I dunno if this is a good idea or not but it just came to me and I wanted to hear what you think
I'll see if it can be done, but otherwise at the moment Dread Level does effect some of the GP drops but mainly for chests. I'll have it affect more types of GP drops, as well as increasing the amount earned for now until Corruption Cards can possibly be supported.

Speaking of support, I did want to see if I could add in support for other monster packs, but I'm not sure how to go about it yet. That, and I am not sure if enough people play Bullet-Eye to warrant such an undertaking. I did see some comments a while back stating that the mod was better without the custom enemies it currently has, so that is one of the reasons I even had the idea!
Linz

Post by Linz »

If anything I feel like the Buster secret tech should be moved to alt fire because it really can ruin someone's muscle memory when they were going for a kick and ended up dashing by mistake
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Linz wrote:If anything I feel like the Buster secret tech should be moved to alt fire because it really can ruin someone's muscle memory when they were going for a kick and ended up dashing by mistake
Well yes, I can do that now since alt-fire is no longer used for the now non-existent sub-weapons. The Buster does not have an alt-fire either so it should work out just fine!

In other news, I made updates to the enemy only mod and should be able to release it later today or tomorrow once I test it to ensure there are no irregularities or VM Aborts and such. Some of the AI won't be a 1:1 to the actual Bullet-Eye mod itself due to some of the code requiring specific actors to check in a proximity, but I've hopefully used viable substitutes.

I'll also need to release a new update with some minor fixes later. One issue would be a huge bug, but thankfully the conditions to get it to happen require some work (you need certain items and have to hope for a drop - then have to use Quick Melee on your Flash Guard while said item is equipped) that it should not interrupt standard gameplay. This should also be released tomorrow.

Thanks to all for playing!
Linz

Post by Linz »

Oh, another thing

Some sort of low armor durability warning (and one for when an equipment piece breaks for that matter) thing would be nice, cause again it feels really lowkey in what's supposed to be something you should actively keep an eye on

One time I didn't even notice one of my equipment pieces broke until I glanced at my durability and I went "Oh. When did that happen?"
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Linz wrote:Oh, another thing

Some sort of low armor durability warning (and one for when an equipment piece breaks for that matter) thing would be nice, cause again it feels really lowkey in what's supposed to be something you should actively keep an eye on

One time I didn't even notice one of my equipment pieces broke until I glanced at my durability and I went "Oh. When did that happen?"
I agree that even the sounds aren't enough some times. I was thinking about adding a flashing red box around the equipment indicator on the HUD when a piece is low on durability. Also given that GP is much easier to come by these days, especially with the ability to sell equipment and weapons (really need to add that to the help screen), I can probably increase the cost of repairing - but I will also increase the max durability of items to give players more breathing room.

If playing with higher Dread Levels, the current durability values can be a problem for some of the items, such as arm shields which have the lowest durability, so I think a durability increase is in order in either case.
Mor'Ladim

Re: Bullet-Eye - v0.11.8b - 5/4/22 - V2 Enemy Mod Released!

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Apologies for the double post, but version 2 of the enemy only mod has been released! Hopefully I caught all the bugs that came up, but everything seemed to be in working order as I did two days of testing/fixing.

It can be downloaded from the first post or here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymqttuhgjic97 ... 2.pk3?dl=1

As mentioned in the first post, these enemies now have XDeath states for compatibility with certain mods, but will still play out their regular Death state. That is to say, there are no different animations for XDeath states. The enemies are also highly aggressive, so it is not recommended to play with vanilla Doom or anything that would "power down" your character. Not all enemies are completed, but as of now, 14/18 are finished as opposed to the 8/18 in the previous version.

Please do let me know if any bugs pop up and I will fix them as soon as possible!
Linz

Post by Linz »

So another thing I wanna say

There's a key to switch to the next track, but not a key to revert to the map's default music, instead having to go into the options to do so

A little unintitive I feel, could do with a key like that
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Linz wrote:So another thing I wanna say

There's a key to switch to the next track, but not a key to revert to the map's default music, instead having to go into the options to do so

A little unintitive I feel, could do with a key like that
Should be easy enough to add.

Also, my apologies to everyone! I did say I would have an update out a while ago with some fixes, but then I found even more issues that need to be fixed, plus I got carried away with some other changes such as converting every remaining DECORATE file into ZScript, balancing changes, and some improvements to a few weapons. I also added in a visual low durability warning rather than just solely using a sound effect! I'll try my best to have this out by the end of this month.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Well I was supposed to update the mod a while ago, but ended up getting carried away with some changes. Thankfully it doesn't seem that anyone has run into that one VM Abort that occurs (which has been fixed in the dev version) so I guess it's not all bad.

I am not going to make any promises on when the next update is going to be released since I never seem to pull through on such deadlines, but I can at least say I am almost done with it. In fact, I just finished a pretty neat feature for it! It still needs some testing, but in the next version there will be some new options related to enemies:

As you can see, each individual enemy can be "disabled" and replaced with its vanilla Doom counterpart!

Going into detail:
(Doom - Modified) vanilla enemies allow all Bullet-Eye mechanics to work. These are mainly meant for players to use if they don't enjoy a particular Bullet-Eye enemy.
(Doom - Original) vanilla enemies are unmodified actors, allowing custom monster mods to work! However, do note that some Bullet-Eye mechanics such as certain weapons or equipment item functions will not work at all on said monsters.

Again, this feature needs some more testing since I literally just finished it a few minutes ago at the time of this writing, but several tests so far brought up no readily apparent issues, other than a few custom monsters not dealing damage with their attacks. This is most likely due to the "None' damage type being set to a low factor on the player so as not to be nearly one shot by certain enemies that utilize said damage type, such as DEHACKED enemies that fire explosive projectiles.

Other than that, I do hope to have this update out some time soon! It brings some slight weapon improvements and more quality of life changes, such as allowing the Quick Melee to attack enemies through the Flash Guard barrier!

Thanks for playing!
Mor'Ladim

Re: Bullet-Eye - v0.12 - 4/26/23 - This guy and his SLOW updates!

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Here we are with yet another annual (I swear a yearly release is not intentional) update.

One of the main changes in this update is the ability to swap between vanilla Doom enemies or modified vanilla enemies. As stated in my post above, this means that a player can switch to a modified vanilla Doom enemy if they don't like a certain B-E enemy, OR they can completely revert to an unmodified vanilla enemy. The unmodified counterparts will allow for other monster mods to be used, but please be aware that some B-E mechanics will not function at all.

Other than that, you will find the usual balance changes, quality of life updates, and overall helpful features that probably should have been added in earlier. There are more help screens too, but I feel like I forgot to mention a few things. However, it's definitely an improvement than before.

I did want to wait a little longer to release this update, but not only has it been too long already, but there are plans to change the HUD up quite a bit. I thought it would be best to give players one last chance to experience the HUD as it is now before it may be permanently changed. The reason for the change is due to the HUD already taking up a ton of space. Why, you can't even see the Vampiric Gauntlets in their idle state for example!

Also, with what has happened recently on the forums, don't worry, I do not intend to leave or move the mod elsewhere!

As bad as the situation was:
1. I do not have the luxury to move on to another site even if I wanted to, as the mod doesn't even have a large following to warrant it.
2. The last thing I want to do is inconvenience any users who ARE still playing this mod. I am not intending to insult anyone over their choice in this matter either!

I felt like I had more to say, in regards to this update but apparently not. I hope it's fun!

EDIT: It looks like the poll results did not reset for some reason? My apologies to the one person who did cast their vote, unless 16 people DID actually vote, but given the track record of previous polls and how long it took to reach such an amount, that is highly unlikely. Must be yet another bug with the board changes.

Changelog is posted here for easier viewing, but as always can normally be found in the main post!
Spoiler:
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Here is a shot of the HUD rework! Keep in mind this is done on a new branch that is "overhauling" some things (more on that in a bit):

The changes are as follows:
- The health and shield bar was made much smaller, and when the player is low on health, the whole frame will flash red, rather than there being a glow behind said frame.
- The magazine counter font (green numbers to the right) was made smaller, and now also displays your total ammo reserves for that ammo type.
- The new weapon bar! It's much more compact, and the weapon type is displayed below each weapon icon as a colored bar. For example, in the screenshot, there is an Area, Rapid, Area, and Melee weapon in that order. The bar below is the new B-E Energy bar. The keys and equipment lock icons are also attached to this weapon bar instead of being separate entities!
- The panel with the colored bars on the bottom right corner is of course the ammo tally.

As for the aforementioned overhaul, I've seen some talk that the mod is all over the place (which I have been aware of and made mention of that fact several times in previous posts), but no one says exactly WHAT problems they have with the mod or WHY. Sure, this is something a mod author needs to figure out on their own, but it doesn't hurt to have somewhere to start. Personally, I saw nothing wrong with the mod, but I suppose that is because I enjoy progression or RPG elements in games. For instance, I can never go back and play a game like Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis because the only form of progression in that game is made by clearing levels and not much else. But I do admit this is a bad way to develop a mod, where it seems like I don't consider the playerbase (even if untrue).

In any case, here are some changes being made to reduce the amount of mechanics in the mod:
- Equipment durability is gone. You can still upgrade gear (which is in talks of being removed also, but I am leaning towards no) and reroll the bonuses, but anything that affected durability or displayed it is gone.
- Weapon XP is gone. You once again level up a weapon by collecting a duplicate of it.
- Vending machines have been removed. There wasn't really a need for them when anything that they sell can be found out in the world.
- Enemy damage and health bonuses from Dread Levels has been reduced drastically. They will feel less like damage sponges and you can survive longer against them on a higher DL. Though, Dread Levels themselves may be removed or at least the total number reduced.
- You can now only carry one of each type of inventory item, with the total max of unique items still being 8. Some are still single use, but others have been made infinite use with a GP cost to activate them.
- Weapons are much more scarce, and now only spawn from high tier weapon spawns, such as the Super Shotgun and Plasma Rifle. Enemies can still drop their unique weapons however, such as the Dread Trooper's Stinger. To compensate, two roulette weapon capsules spawn right in front of the player on a game start.

I don't believe I missed anything in the overview. There may be more changes as this version is internally tested more, but I believe the adjustments made so far will make the mod feel less convoluted. I am not entirely sure if this will replace the existing version or if it will be a separate branch, meaning there will be two versions that are updated and players can download, but we will see when the time comes.

If players wish to test this version, it can be found here.
Some_Kinda_Lucky
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Some_Kinda_Lucky »

Hello Mor! First time ever posting here, I just wanna start by saying that Bullet-Eye is easily one of my favorite Doom mods ever made, it's mix of fast paced arcade action with deep but not convoluted RPG mechanics makes for an addictive experience that'll never grow tiring. That being said after playing around with the Overhaul build for about an hour I was sadly disappointed with the changes that were made. First one being the removal of equipment durability, not having to worry about a beloved piece of gear being destroyed makes combat feel less high stakes and meaningful. Second is the removal of weapon XP, which (much like equipment durability) makes fights feel less impactful and removes a key part of the mod's addictive progression system, Third and lastly is the removal of vending machines, which served as nice little shortcuts to building a better loadout, being able to spend your hard earned GP to buy equipment, ammo, Quick melee and Flash guard upgrades and Old world manuals gave cash so much more meaning than it does in the Overhaul build, where (combined with not having to buy weapon XP and repair equipment) it feels way less useful overall. I also love the Dread Level system as it is in v0.12, if anything I hope you keep adding Dread Levels far past 20 so that players can truly customize how easy or hard their Bullet-Eye session is. Honestly every change made in the Overhaul build feels like a downgrade from how everything is in v0.12 except for the new HUD which is fantastic. This is all just one persons opinion of course and if you feel that the Overhaul is the best course for this mod than you should continue working on it, I will say that making two separate branches for the mod is probably the best option, have Bullet-Eye stay as the Run&Gun/RPG hybrid and make the Overhaul a separate experience called Bullet-Eye Arcade or something like that, then both sides will be happy. Whatever you end up doing, this'll always be one of the best mods Doom has to offer and I will always stick by it's side. I look forward to seeing it's future as it makes it's way to v1.0.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Some_Kinda_Lucky wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:15 pm Hello Mor! First time ever posting here, I just wanna start by saying that Bullet-Eye is easily one of my favorite Doom mods ever made, it's mix of fast paced arcade action with deep but not convoluted RPG mechanics makes for an addictive experience that'll never grow tiring. That being said after playing around with the Overhaul build for about an hour I was sadly disappointed with the changes that were made. First one being the removal of equipment durability, not having to worry about a beloved piece of gear being destroyed makes combat feel less high stakes and meaningful. Second is the removal of weapon XP, which (much like equipment durability) makes fights feel less impactful and removes a key part of the mod's addictive progression system, Third and lastly is the removal of vending machines, which served as nice little shortcuts to building a better loadout, being able to spend your hard earned GP to buy equipment, ammo, Quick melee and Flash guard upgrades and Old world manuals gave cash so much more meaning than it does in the Overhaul build, where (combined with not having to buy weapon XP and repair equipment) it feels way less useful overall. I also love the Dread Level system as it is in v0.12, if anything I hope you keep adding Dread Levels far past 20 so that players can truly customize how easy or hard their Bullet-Eye session is. Honestly every change made in the Overhaul build feels like a downgrade from how everything is in v0.12 except for the new HUD which is fantastic. This is all just one persons opinion of course and if you feel that the Overhaul is the best course for this mod than you should continue working on it, I will say that making two separate branches for the mod is probably the best option, have Bullet-Eye stay as the Run&Gun/RPG hybrid and make the Overhaul a separate experience called Bullet-Eye Arcade or something like that, then both sides will be happy. Whatever you end up doing, this'll always be one of the best mods Doom has to offer and I will always stick by it's side. I look forward to seeing it's future as it makes it's way to v1.0.
Thank you for the feedback! Again, I personally don't see anything wrong with it myself since that is the type of gameplay I like (and not everyone has the same tastes), but I want to at least meet halfway with reviewing the mechanics and features of the mod. The overhaul branch is still in its early stages so there are quite a few things that need to be changed, or even reimplemented, but in a better state.

One of the intentions I had with the mod was to add "evergreen" content, so that you can go back and play mapsets with new features and weaponry as updates rolled out. Sure, you can always replay a mapset with any mod, but personally I have always been fascinated by seeing how newer content interacts with older content. For example, how would things work in an FPS game's base game maps with weapons found in an expansion pack for said game? Unfortunately, I've learned in this community that a lot of players prefer simplicity, which explains why the run of the mill weapon mods are far more popular. I for one could never see how a game could be much fun when you are using a shotgun 80% of the time with a one and done arsenal that will NEVER change.

I just hope the people who didn't like the mod as it was before actually intend to give the new version a shot, otherwise this effort is all for nothing.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Apologies for the double post, but here is a message from Ace that I am sure will explain things better than I did:
Hey, Ace here (co-dev, sorta). I wanna say something with regards to the overhaul and why most of the recent commits have been "removed X", which I'm sure makes a lot of people go "ouchie oof". Bullet-Eye has had a feature creep problem for a while now, partly because it's Mor's testbed and he wants his ideas to come true, along with people's suggestions not getting evaluated properly, and partly because programming go brrrr so I end up implementing all of it when he asks. Most of this was half-assed features meant to solve problems created by other features, which in turn creates even more issues. This kind of snowballed into a mess of mechanics that did not necessarily play well together.

So the idea of removing most things is to bring the mod to a "baseline" level of features - things close to the mod's core design principles. Once that's done, the second phase is to see what's flawed in those and fix it, but within the confines of said design principles. Too many times the symptom had been treated instead of the cause, which is kind of how we ended up with weapon durability, equipment durability, currency inflation worse than Venezuela's, and generally all sorts of crap that made the mod feel more like a Diablo clone with a bad case of Borderlands than ye olde arcade shooter.

The overhaul branch means to correct all that. Some features like dread level may be reimplemented in the future, but with different effects that are more in line with the already-balanced mod. In short, please have patience, we're not gonna stop when the mod is barebones. In fact, that's when the real work begins. But it will take a while.
I do want to add that part of the problem with said feature creep is because if I see an idea I like in a game, I also want something similar in Bullet-Eye, which of course is really, REALLY bad design philosophy. For example, the previously locked chests idea was pulled from Enter the Gungeon. The idea of equipment bonuses was inspired by both a Diablo 1 mod called "The Hell 2", and Shadow Warrior 2's gems system. I've actually stopped asking for help with new major features recently because I did realize that it was probably getting to be too much adding all these new systems in, so I was going to just stick with what I had.

I hope those that are still with us will have some patience to see where we take the mod!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”