Why is ZDOOM called "Z"DOOM?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

RDoom, HDoom, and RHDoom just didn't sound as cool as ZDoom. Plus it's catchy.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

HotWax wrote:Um... No, Z is pronounced "Zee" in several countries, whatever you'd like to believe. Embrace differences. :P
You are wrong and a grotesquely ugly freak!

Z the LETTER is pronounced 'zee' and 'zed' (and other ways, 'tzet' in german for instance), but the Z SPECIFICATION LANGUAGE (which was what I was talking about in the first place, if you paid attention), is pronounced 'zed' and calling it 'zee' is totally unacceptable for a few reasons. First off Z was developed at Oxford by a Frenchman (Jean-Raymond Abrial) and in both areas, Britain and France, the letter Z is pronounced 'zed'.

The second reason is that Z (pronounced 'zee') is the name of an American fourth generation language (high level languages such as C++ and Java are third generation languages, to give you an point of contrast. The only 4GL that comes to mind that isn't really obscure is Oracle).

So there you go.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Heres a question.. ZedDoom, ZeeDoom, ZehDoom.... what do you actually say?

Even though I'm English, I dont thing ZedDoom sounds right...
Jon

Post by Jon »

It stands for "Zuper Doom On Other Machines"
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

Nanami wrote:RDoom, HDoom, and RHDoom just didn't sound as cool as ZDoom. Plus it's catchy.
Ah, but that is a subjective POV.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Hirogen2 wrote:How could you drop BSP? Even modern games still have it, and you certainly need it if you do not want to get a slowdown.
Most modern games don't call it BSP but yeah it's essentially the same thing. However you're wrong about it being needed anymore. Quake 3 uses it (It's called a vismap there) but it can be turned off if you like, and on my GeForce 4 it goes virtually no slower than it does with it on. (Perhaps .2 - .3 of an FPS slower) This is because the GeForce 4 and FX support auto-culling which determines what will and will not be able to be seen after the scene is drawn, and culls out what doesn't need to be drawn. The evidence that it is working is plain as day. If you run Quake 3 with the vismap off but with r_showtris on (So that you can see the triangles of the walls that you otherwise wouldn't be able to see), the card is forced to consider every polygon in view a potentially visible polygon and render it, and the FPS plummets.

Doom 3 will not have a traditional BSP or vismap system. That is why the levels can be constructed in realtime. It will have a scaled-back system to help the card calculate lighting faster, but it will not "hide" parts of the level from the video card that don't need to be rendered. Your video card has to do that now.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

OMG! Somebody linked to one of my threads! I feel special... :)
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Cyb wrote:
HotWax wrote:Um... No, Z is pronounced "Zee" in several countries, whatever you'd like to believe. Embrace differences. :P
You are wrong and a grotesquely ugly freak!

Z the LETTER is pronounced 'zee' and 'zed' (and other ways, 'tzet' in german for instance), but the Z SPECIFICATION LANGUAGE (which was what I was talking about in the first place, if you paid attention), is pronounced 'zed' and calling it 'zee' is totally unacceptable for a few reasons. First off Z was developed at Oxford by a Frenchman (Jean-Raymond Abrial) and in both areas, Britain and France, the letter Z is pronounced 'zed'.

The second reason is that Z (pronounced 'zee') is the name of an American fourth generation language (high level languages such as C++ and Java are third generation languages, to give you an point of contrast. The only 4GL that comes to mind that isn't really obscure is Oracle).

So there you go.
I can pronounce it however I want, thanks. So, nyah. If you had your way, Mexico would be spelled Mehico in English... or wait, no you want the original spelling AND the correct pronunciation. Well good luck with that. Let me know when you change the way the world works. :)
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

sure you can pronounce it however you want. if you pronounce the specification language as 'zee' you would still be wrong though, not matter what you tell yourself
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

Unless it's a personal shorthand. You can call C++ "see-pee-pee" and, while technically wrong, it's still doable. Or the "java-see" or "javak" for the JAVA compiler. I can see both sides being right.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Who cares why he did it? ZDoom is just a great port, no matter the name.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

thats what I said, leha

I DARE you to find a single webpage that says pronouncing the Z specification language as 'zee' and not 'zed' is correct. It's 100% wrong to call it 'zee' and there's no way around it
Zell

Post by Zell »

HotWax wrote:
Hirogen2 wrote:How could you drop BSP? Even modern games still have it, and you certainly need it if you do not want to get a slowdown.
Most modern games don't call it BSP but yeah it's essentially the same thing. However you're wrong about it being needed anymore. Quake 3 uses it (It's called a vismap there) but it can be turned off if you like, and on my GeForce 4 it goes virtually no slower than it does with it on. (Perhaps .2 - .3 of an FPS slower) This is because the GeForce 4 and FX support auto-culling which determines what will and will not be able to be seen after the scene is drawn, and culls out what doesn't need to be drawn. The evidence that it is working is plain as day. If you run Quake 3 with the vismap off but with r_showtris on (So that you can see the triangles of the walls that you otherwise wouldn't be able to see), the card is forced to consider every polygon in view a potentially visible polygon and render it, and the FPS plummets.

Doom 3 will not have a traditional BSP or vismap system. That is why the levels can be constructed in realtime. It will have a scaled-back system to help the card calculate lighting faster, but it will not "hide" parts of the level from the video card that don't need to be rendered. Your video card has to do that now.
I learn everday.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Cyb wrote:thats what I said, leha

I DARE you to find a single webpage that says pronouncing the Z specification language as 'zee' and not 'zed' is correct. It's 100% wrong to call it 'zee' and there's no way around it
Ok, in case you hadn't already realized, I don't know what the Z specification language is, nor do I care, I was just fuckin' with ya. :P
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

In other news, Cyb: just out of curiosity, why do your posts vary from normal caps to no caps?

Return to “General”