Dark Passenger V1.3, The Halloween Update

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Doctrine Gamer

Re: [W.I.P]Dark Passenger V1.1

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

The mod is based on Dusk but I confess that playing it reminded me a lot of the movie Evil Dead - Army of Darkness. If he had a chainsaw and a metal arm Fin Sternis could pass very well as Ash Williams. I really enjoyed playing.
Hylik

Post by Hylik »

Doctrine Gamer wrote:The mod is based on Dusk but I confess that playing it reminded me a lot of the movie Evil Dead - Army of Darkness. If he had a chainsaw and a metal arm Fin Sternis could pass very well as Ash Williams. I really enjoyed playing.
Considering that this mod is inspired by Dusk and Dusk is inspired by Blood, which in turn was inspired by the Evil Dead series, I guess you could say that we have come full circle.
GoalDude-00

Post by GoalDude-00 »

Liking the update, but I think the carbine from the older version had more character and fit the mod's overall aesthetic better than what I presume is some flavor of MP5. Recoloring the handguard to make it look like wood would work just as well, but I can't find any actual issues with the mod. Keep it up!
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Hylik wrote:
Doctrine Gamer wrote:The mod is based on Dusk but I confess that playing it reminded me a lot of the movie Evil Dead - Army of Darkness. If he had a chainsaw and a metal arm Fin Sternis could pass very well as Ash Williams. I really enjoyed playing.
Considering that this mod is inspired by Dusk and Dusk is inspired by Blood, which in turn was inspired by the Evil Dead series, I guess you could say that we have come full circle.
its true :thumb:
Hylik

Re: [W.I.P]Dark Passenger V1.1.1

Post by Hylik »

8/05/2022 Update, Dark Passenger 1.1.1
I wanted to release this update before the start of my internship which is going to take time away from development, I don't plan on abandoning this project but I might go silent for the time being.
-Added a new crouch slide mechanic, press the kick button after crouching to slide in the direction you are aiming, the slide had a 2 second cooldown.
-Added a new attack for the shovel that pulls enemies towards you when you press the "Throw Shovel" button.
-Remade the sprites for the scattergun, again, and hopefully for the last time.
-The values for the necronomicon charge have been adjusted across the boards, in general every enemy gives you 1% more charge when killed with the exception of fodder enemies (zombies, imps, lost souls).
-The necronomicon powerups last five seconds longer, with the exception of Time Freeze.
-Replaced the sound for the Unmaker alt-fire.
-Improved the effects for explosions.
-Swapping between weapons has been sped up slightly.
-Fixed a bug with the Doctor's Bag and Armor Restorer that gave the player the incorrect amount of armor/health compared to the percentage of the item.
-Added a new logo for the main menu.
Hylik

Re: [W.I.P]Dark Passenger V1.1.1 (26/07/22 Update)

Post by Hylik »

26/07/2022 Update.
A hotfix more then anything, I changed some small stuff that bothered me about the mod. I wasn't able to make any significant additions due to real life circumstances but I am still willing to listen to feedback.
-Adjusted the size of the main menu logo to fix a clipping issue.
-Adjusted the size of a few pickup sprites that were either too big or looked like they were floating above the ground.
-Replaced the mugshot sprites. (credits to Electro7777)
-Added two new icons for the fullscreen status bar.
Hylik

Re: Dark Passenger V1.2

Post by Hylik »

20/11/2022 Update, Dark Passenger 1.2
I wish I finished this update sooner but alas it wasn't meant to be, my passion for this mod never dwindled but at the same time I have no more ideas to add to it and I'd much rather move onto my next project(s).
This might be the final update for this mod but anyways:
-Reintroducing the Carbine from version 1.0, with a new set of sprites and alt-fire.
-Added a new powerup in the form of the Soul Cube, which you can obtain by activating the three demon runes while having a fully charged Necronomicon.
-Reworked the armor restorer, now you can salvage armor pickups when you already have one and store them as points for your restorer.
-Added a new animation for the extreme player death.
-Added new visual effects for the crossbow and unmaker.
-The demon runes will play a humming sound when one is nearby.
-The infinite ammo powerup had its duration reduced from 30 seconds to 20 seconds.
-Reworked a few sprites for the scattergun (again).
-Added a total ammo counter for the status bar.
-The megasphere will now also give you one unit of armor restorer.
-The necronomicon will reset its charge to 50% when moving to a new level while above 50%.
-You can now interrupt the reload animation of the hunting rifle while scoped by swapping to another weapon.
-Replaced the title screen image with some new art drawn by my good friend BuzzerZero.
Last edited by Hylik on Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Amazing!
Gonna test this build as soon as possible.
Good luck on your next projects!
ChiliPimp
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ChiliPimp »

Hylik

Post by Hylik »

ChiliPimp wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:03 pm New vid is up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESC6S7OZfj8
Heyo thanks for coming back to Dark Passenger, there are two things about the video that I would like to mention.
1)The way the crouch slide works is by pressing the kick button after crouching. I am aware that the slide doesn't work on certain wads but I currently don't know why this happens.
2)The text you get by using the demon keys in the inventory is not just for flavor, If you activate the three keys with a fully charged necronomicon you will get a new powerup.
PresBarackbar

Post by PresBarackbar »

Really loving this mod, I think the idea of the powerups on the Necro are really cool. Though Im curious, I used it a few times and I cant exactly figure out what it is that the Soul Cube does.
Hylik

Post by Hylik »

PresBarackbar wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:28 pm Really loving this mod, I think the idea of the powerups on the Necro are really cool. Though Im curious, I used it a few times and I cant exactly figure out what it is that the Soul Cube does.
Use the soul cube near a few corpses and see what happens.
Facínora

Post by Facínora »

Okay. I recorded a video with Dark Passenger and I liked what I saw. Might record more videos to explore features that I didn't in this match.
Hylik

Re: Dark Passenger V1.2.1

Post by Hylik »

12/06/2023 update, Dark Passenger 1.2.1
A very small update with mostly bug fixed and quality-of-life changes.
Someone reported a critical bug involving frame drops in certain wad, I was able to identify the source of the problem yet I still can't explain why it happens in some wads and not all of them.
-Fixed a bug with the slide cooldown causing massive frame drops on certain wads.
-Improved behavior of the soul cube, it will now always travel near the ground instead of floating away from it.
Dudejo

Re: Dark Passenger V1.2.1

Post by Dudejo »

Just putting in my 2 cents.

I like how the mod is relatively simple and straightforward. No complicated controls or endless weapon selections, no randomized items or monsters...it fits my tastes.

The only thing I would criticize is the fact that bullet weapons, especially the carbine, are a bit too overwhelming. Between the DPS, ammo capacity and efficiency, the scattergun and sawed-off aren't as good of an alternative as they could be.

As for the shovel, I just find that its animation looks a bit wimpy. I feel like I'm swinging a metallic fly swatter. I think that a more dramatic wind-up would improve the feel.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”