[WIP] HXRTC HUD Platinum v0.60

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
FelesNoctis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[WIP] HXRTC HUD Platinum v0.60

Post by FelesNoctis »

Less patches, more flexibility! Just let it handle your mods for you! *
(This thread looks best in using a dark forum theme)

Full support for GZDoom v4+
Support also intended for Zandronum v3.1+

Downloads

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for support for Project Brutality v3.x? Cotton_Disciple has the best version!
cotton_disciple's HUD edits

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installation & Usage
  • Download the Main File package matching your sourceport from the link above.
  • Load after any major gameplay mod, or any mod supplying an SBARINFO lump.
  • Set screen size to 11 (Options -> Display options)
  • See Current Features and Mods Supported below, and report anything that's not working!

Description

HXRTC HUD Platinum's goal is to maintain the same general design that I've grown to enjoy, fix some oversights in the original, and be as plug-and-play as possible for the user.

You may also be asking yourself: "Why Platinum?" Or maybe you aren't, hell if I know. Regardless, this initially began as a project to update HXRTC HUD specifically for Brutal Doom Platinum, and expanded from there as people began to show interest. I love HXRTC's HUD! It displays a decent amount of information without feeling cluttered or being too distracting. Unfortunately I discovered that it designed in such a way that it only explicitly supported mods it had versions for, and could misbehave even for mods that simply replace the vanilla weapons with their own variations.

While digging through its various versions to see how it works and referencing the wiki, then Cotton_Disciple's edits and seeing how he switched between layouts based on certain features, it seemed like the rigid hard coding for weapons (as well as other parts) could be reworked. I've always been a fan of built-in compatibility in mods, and being able to say "It Just Works!"

Current Features
  • General vanilla ammo-type support
    • If it uses the clip, shell, rocketammo, and cell, the ammo tally and current ammo displays should function as expected.
  • Mostly-dynamic weapon icon display
    • This feature does require the author to designate and provide an icon image.
      If an icon isn't available, the box will print the weapontag or actor name.
  • Overhauled powerup display for easier tracking of durations
  • HUD customization through in-game menus

Screenshots
All screenshots taken at fullscreen 1080p with "Scale to Fullscreen" enabled.
HUD responds to all valid scaling sizes for your resolution in GZDoom, and has a toggle for original/scaled for Zandronum.
Spoiler:

Future Plans
  • Adding explicit support for missing weapon icons
    • Please report these!
  • More refining of displays where appropriate
  • Easter eggs disguised as features (or... features disguised as Easter eggs?)
  • ALL THE MOD SUPPORT *
  • More screenshots for the thread!

What's Supported?
The following list includes the version of each mod that the HUD was built against. In most cases the HUD will still work with a later version. If it breaks, let me know!
  • ON HOLD:
    Spoiler:
  • UNLIKELY:
    Spoiler:

Known Issues
Spoiler:

Changelog
Spoiler:

Other Versions
HXRTC HUD 7.0 (for Doom, Smooth Doom, BD v20b, older PB, and more) - Hexereticdoom
cotton_disciple's HUD edits (ZScripted, for BDv21 and PBv3.0) - cotton_disciple

Credits
Spoiler:

* Terms and conditions may apply.
Spoiler:
Last edited by FelesNoctis on Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:24 pm, edited 124 times in total.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Re: [WIP] HXRTC HUD Platinum v0.01

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Very interested in seeing how this goes. Figure I might as well throw in some suggestions.

Led's Generic Weapon Mod
Doom 4 Vanilla (if possible)
Brutal Doom 64
Beautiful Doom

Will try to report bugs and add suggestions as I find/think of them.
D4N5T3P

Post by D4N5T3P »

This looks cool! I wonder if it would it be possible to make it compatible with supercharge https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... ier-enemy/
Delfino Furioso

Post by Delfino Furioso »

I'd like to add BDLite* and FinalDoomer to the mods compatibility wishlist

*my customized HXRTC Hud build for BDLite can be found here
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=47539&p=1202253#p1202253
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Tested with Smooth Doom's latest stable version, and the Pistol and Zombieman Rifle are the only weapons in the mod with a proper icon.

The actor ID's for the other weapons are as follows:

Brass Knuckles: PerkFist
Chainsaw: Z86Chainsaw
Shotgun: PerkShotgun
Super Shotgun: PerkSuperShotgun
Chaingun: Z86Chaingun
Rocket Launcher: PerkRocketLauncher
Plasmagun: BloxPlasmaRifle
BFG-9000: Z86BFG9000
FelesNoctis

Post by FelesNoctis »

Holy crap, I honestly didn't expect this much activity over the night. Hello all!

mamaluigisbagel wrote:Very interested in seeing how this goes. Figure I might as well throw in some suggestions.

Led's Generic Weapon Mod
Doom 4 Vanilla (if possible)
Brutal Doom 64
Beautiful Doom

Will try to report bugs and add suggestions as I find/think of them.
I'll add those to the suggested list!

D4N5T3P wrote:This looks cool! I wonder if it would it be possible to make it compatible with supercharge https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... ier-enemy/
After the more obvious support, I'll dig through that and see what might need to be done. Looks like there's at least one weapon, so that's a possibility!

Delfino Furioso wrote:I'd like to add BDLite* and FinalDoomer to the mods compatibility wishlist

*my customized HXRTC Hud build for BDLite can be found here
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=47539&p=1202253#p1202253
Oh yeah, BDLite! How could I forget about that one, I have it in my DeltaTouch list.
Also I'll definitely steal the weapon actor names out of your build, if nothing else, thank you. Saves time! :P

ShockwaveS08 wrote:Tested with Smooth Doom's latest stable version, and the Pistol and Zombieman Rifle are the only weapons in the mod with a proper icon.

The actor ID's for the other weapons are as follows:

Brass Knuckles: PerkFist
Chainsaw: Z86Chainsaw
Shotgun: PerkShotgun
Super Shotgun: PerkSuperShotgun
Chaingun: Z86Chaingun
Rocket Launcher: PerkRocketLauncher
Plasmagun: BloxPlasmaRifle
BFG-9000: Z86BFG9000
Shockwave and I talked on Discord as well, apparently I had some ancient version of SmoothDoom lost to the far-gone ages of 2014 without realizing it. Today I intend on doing some mod support work, so I'll likely be hitting these first since they're simple.

EDIT:
SmoothDoom is less simple than I thought, but only because I'm a perfectionist and doing it to myself. If I'm understanding this correctly I'll be making it display the correct icon based on what Weapon Set you have activated as well.
FelesNoctis

Post by FelesNoctis »

What have we learned today?

Zandronum doesn't support IfCVarInt, which is what was being used to swap the weapon icons for SmoothDoom and PerK's based on the weapon set you have selected.

What does this mean? I have several potential paths here.
  1. I dump the idea of being able to use alternate icons (and a decent amount of customization as a generality) to maintain Zandronum compatibility
  2. I keep the swapping with a small ACS utility script, but toss Zandronum out the window
  3. I redo the entire HUD in ACS completely, but people I talked to were unsure if that would be able to scale or not
Tomorrow is going to be one hell of a day.

EDIT:
Chapter 3 - How ACS-managed inventory tokens may just save the day.
FelesNoctis

Re: [WIP] HXRTC HUD Platinum v0.02

Post by FelesNoctis »

v0.02
  • Modular Ammo Tally panel for ease of future mod support
  • ACS-based cvar handler to allow for a reactive HUD
  • Mod Support:
    • PerK's Smooth Weapons Enhanced
      SmoothDoom 2.0
Last edited by FelesNoctis on Sun May 08, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Quite cool, hehe... This looks promising, no doubt. :yup:

Keep up the good work man! :thumb:

P.S: Love the title banner you made! :-D
FelesNoctis

Post by FelesNoctis »

v003
  • Mod Support:
    • BDLite + all "official" addons
Hexereticdoom wrote:Quite cool, hehe... This looks promising, no doubt. :yup:

Keep up the good work man! :thumb:

P.S: Love the title banner you made! :-D
Ayyy! Thank you!
Plasmazippo
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: [WIP] HXRTC HUD Platinum v0.03

Post by Plasmazippo »

v0.02 works almost perfectly for what I want, thanks! :D

My only problem is that the top left box with kills/items/secrets does not appear, only the numbers show up beneath the counter. Not sure what may be interfering with it.
Delfino Furioso

Post by Delfino Furioso »

regarding the k/i/s stats box:
may I suggest shortening the text labels to get a better alignment?
I had done this in the past, in my custom build for BDLite
FelesNoctis

Post by FelesNoctis »

Plasmazippo wrote:v0.02 works almost perfectly for what I want, thanks! :D

My only problem is that the top left box with kills/items/secrets does not appear, only the numbers show up beneath the counter. Not sure what may be interfering with it.
That is incredibly odd. In v0.02 (and v0.03 for that matter) the k/i/s box has been practically untouched. All I did was move the block as a whole through the code while organizing. It's also just a static background image with no interactivity at all (yet). This is what v0.03 looks like on my end:
Spoiler:
I did test v0.02 as well, but it looks the same. Can you try v0.03 and see if that makes a difference? If not, I may need to know what other mods you're running, just in case.

Delfino Furioso wrote:regarding the k/i/s stats box:
may I suggest shortening the text labels to get a better alignment?
I had done this in the past, in my custom build for BDLite
Just went and took a look at yours, and that's the same thought I had. However, I think it may have been done this way because Hexeretic assumed there'd never be more than 999 secrets in a map, which... probably isn't wrong under most circumstances. I'm the type of brat to go make a map specifically to break it though, so I think I'll just go with the 4 digit approach as well. :wink:

Today is another HUD overhaul day. I want to get some things customizable, adjust some placements (the normal health kit doesn't really need to be there for instance, just a berserk status, so I can adjust that real estate), and generally get more base work done before certain mods are introduced that require special handling.

EDIT (end of May9):
The next release is going to be a big jump, but I enjoy this action on the bottom left in particular.
Spoiler:
Zemini7

Post by Zemini7 »

Ill be keeping a eye on this. Will there be room for scalability? I need a custom hud for my mod since it has custom ammo types, keys, runes and armor variants. Not sure if there is room on the display to have 500+ items but at least more than vanilla. S/B at least a full rainbow (green, purple, orange, black, white, brown)
FelesNoctis

Post by FelesNoctis »

Changelog
Spoiler:
Zemini7 wrote:Ill be keeping a eye on this. Will there be room for scalability? I need a custom hud for my mod since it has custom ammo types, keys, runes and armor variants. Not sure if there is room on the display to have 500+ items but at least more than vanilla. S/B at least a full rainbow (green, purple, orange, black, white, brown)
Custom ammo types, keys, etc are handled on a case by case basis as I encounter them. I've been working on making various pieces as modular as possible, as well as reorganizing the SBARINFO itself, so everything can be expanded to fit as needed. For instance, if you test BDLite, it adds new ammo types, as well as adjusting on the fly when you have the SEKRIT dev weapon to add that ammo type as well. You'll see a lot more of this when I start getting into the full package versions of Brutal Doom.

If by scalability you mean size on the screen, my screenshots are just maxed out on size so I can make sure alignments look alright. HXRTC HUD Plat now respects all HUD Scale settings (up to what GZDoom accepts for your current resolution, so at 1080p it stops at "6"), though for more complex mods smaller settings are going to be strongly recommended.

Here's a video I took recently at 720p, HUD set to "Scale to Fullscreen". I was testing out the "overmax" bars on health and armor, as well as the Inventory Bar. I used Brutal Doom Platinum for that, but you can ignore the bottom right, those haven't been implemented for BDP yet.
Spoiler:
And here's vanilla Doom with HUD Scale set to "1" at 1080p.
Spoiler:
Unfortunately due to how rigid SBARINFO is I can't make the project fully universal. That's something that ZScript may be able to do, but I full intend on keeping HXRTC HUD Platinum compatible with Zandronum, so special handling for more complex mods has to be done. :P That being said, if you think you'd want to use this for your project, I'm more than happy to work with you to build in support for it.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”