[Release] The D64ifier - Now modular and no longer in beta!

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
McTed

Re: [Release] The D64ifier... for D64ifying your game.

Post by McTed »

Alright I'll try to summarise it as best I can.

While in LiTdoom discord, someone reminded and inspired me about d64ifier with saying how great its lighting etc was and how good it would be to have a graphics only setting.

I was quite new to editing pk3's at the time, fiddled around
and shared messy early attempts on the discord (with readme & credits, including you and this thread as top credits)

However after fiddling with it for around 18 days, I've gained a reasonable understanding of it
and have made a version which has only the lighting and decorations (with an alternate version of it being seperated further into 4 standalone pk3's)

I didn't expect much attention at first and now people are asking me if they can share my trimmings of d64ifier with their groups
and I thought that I should get in touch with you to ask how you feel about it and whether its ok with you.

I can share a download link if you want to take a look at it.

ps: I can't pm or email through zdoom forums since this is a fresh account, I can pm you on moddb if that's better.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Post by BrettBotTheCryonaut »

Oof...... It sounds like you've put a lot of effort into it which I respect, however... You never know how something that is in beta is going to change!
I'm putting the finishing touches on the 1.0 release of the D64ifier currently, and then will be releasing it on ModDB. This new non-beta version will actually be completely modular. The core module will be the textures, lighting, decorative sprites, fonts, HUD, GUI, palette, and environmental effects. Then the additional optional modules will be the weapons module, monster module, and music module. I'm hoping to have it done before the weekend is over.
ChozoGhost89
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ChozoGhost89 »

I can't wait to see the 1.0 version of this mod released! I have a previous version, but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

My main question is -- if this isn't the case already, that is -- will v1.0, or a future version if not that one, have new dark ambient tracks for TNT: Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment as well?
RaZZoR

Post by RaZZoR »

Amazing work
McTed

Post by McTed »

BrettBotTheCryonaut wrote:Oof...... It sounds like you've put a lot of effort into it which I respect, however... You never know how something that is in beta is going to change!
I'm putting the finishing touches on the 1.0 release of the D64ifier currently, and then will be releasing it on ModDB. This new non-beta version will actually be completely modular. The core module will be the textures, lighting, decorative sprites, fonts, HUD, GUI, palette, and environmental effects. Then the additional optional modules will be the weapons module, monster module, and music module. I'm hoping to have it done before the weekend is over.
Its all good mate, I enjoyed experimenting and it taught me a lot about how doom mods work :)

Also the timing is kinda spooky haha
BrettBotTheCryonaut

ChozoGhost89 wrote:will v1.0, or a future version if not that one, have new dark ambient tracks for TNT: Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment as well?
Yes and no...... sort of...... but not exactly... kind of. ;)

The core module will come with the Doom 64 soundfont. Activate that as your Fluidsynth playback font in the GZDoom sound settings, and it'll make almost every and any midi music that plays for a level sound pretty much like Doom 64's creepy ambient tracks. It isn't 100% guaranteed because the tracks weren't created to be compatible with that soundfont, but from my playtesting so far it's done a pretty great job.

In addition to the core module though, there will also be an optional music module you can use to replace all the midi tracks. It will contain 40 (maybe more in the future - we'll see) tracks by Aubrey Hodges, and will just pick one at random every time a new level starts.

Thanks for the positive comments guys. As much as I tried to get it wrapped up before the weekend was over, it just didn't happen. I'll keep plugging away and hopefully be done with it soon.

Meanwhile... hey look a new evil eye! I know Craneo also did a D64 evil eye but I wanted to make one that was a little weirder. :)
newevileye.jpg
RaZZoR

Post by RaZZoR »

D64ifier + Honte remastered Experimental
James Flasch

Post by James Flasch »

Both Doom64 CE( https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-ce) and Dr. Pyspy (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=68009&hilit=Doom+64+revenant%27) have sprites for those enemies absent from the original Doom 64. Maybe you could use those - with permission, of course. I very much recommend Dr. Pyspy's archvile - it's much better that what this mod (which is quite good, BTW) already has.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Version 1.0 of The D64ifier is done! The core module is now up on Mod DB at https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-d64ifier and I'll be getting the monsters and weapons modules uploaded in the next day or two, then I'll update the main post here. :)

Short video showing off texture comparisons here: https://youtu.be/f0dBQZVLtb8

Hey James where is the download for Dr. Pyspy's archvile? I can't find it anywhere. Just an animated gif showing the walking animation is all I've been able to find so far.
James Flasch

Post by James Flasch »

Not sure where the download is ... you'll have to ask him.
ChozoGhost89

Post by ChozoGhost89 »

BrettBotTheCryonaut wrote:Version 1.0 of The D64ifier is done! The core module is now up on Mod DB at https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-d64ifier and I'll be getting the monsters and weapons modules uploaded in the next day or two, then I'll update the main post here. :)

Short video showing off texture comparisons here: https://youtu.be/f0dBQZVLtb8

Hey James where is the download for Dr. Pyspy's archvile? I can't find it anywhere. Just an animated gif showing the walking animation is all I've been able to find so far.
Can't wait to see the version(s) with the weapons and monsters modules loaded! I might just wait to try it once those come out, to not spoil myself too much :P
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Bob Beaky

Re: [Release] The D64ifier - Now modular and no longer in be

Post by Bob Beaky »

Firstly, I just want to say that this project is super cool and I'm loving it. But it wouldn't be the internet without somebody bring up an issue! The issue is the new movement doesn't allow the player to reach the rocket launcher secret switch in Doom 2 map 01. I'm sure there'll be other 'jumps' that'll be broken in other maps/WAD's. Perhaps a toggle for switching between vanilla movement and your new movement would be an option?

Anyway, great work!
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Thanks Bob! I've removed NashMove from the Core module, so if you switch from 1.0 of the core module to 1.03 you shouldn't have that problem. Player movement speed is still slowed down, but I just tested and confirmed I can still get to that trigger without having to jump so there should at least be less broken things now. :)

I'll make a separate optional module later for realistic movement.
Bob Beaky

Post by Bob Beaky »

No worries. :) I'm glad it was an easy (if stopgap) fix.

Now I have a request though I've no idea how much work it'd take! Would it be possible to make a version that's compatible with the Doom64 for Doom II WAD? I'm not sure if there are more incompatibilities but in map02 when the four blue keys appear on the pillars the next stage is activated and the doors remain locked thus make progress impossible without cheating.

Anyway, just a selfish request. I just think it'd be fun to play a different interpretation of the D64 maps with your interpretation of D64 aesthetics and gameplay. Afterall, you can't have too many ways to play through Doom 64. :P

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”