Invisible sprites on GZ Doom OpenGL mode

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

Invisible sprites on GZ Doom OpenGL mode

Post by Guest »

Hello !

For some reason, I can't see any sprites (Enemies, Barrels...) on Doom 1 & 2 when I activate Open GL as a rendering engine. They exist but they're completely invisible.

Game worked fine a few months ago so I'm not sure it's linked to the ATI issue.

My drivers (AMD 18.7.1) and GZ Doom (Vanilla 3.4.1) are up-to-date.

Is there a known solution for this ?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Invisible sprites on GZ Doom OpenGL mode

Post by wildweasel »

What are the rest of your system specs?

Post by Guest »

Windows 10
Intel Core i5 6500
Motherboard : MSI B150M MORTAR
AMD Radeon R9 390
8Go RAM
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Rollback your AMD drivers back to 18.6.1. That's the best you can do for now. Wait for AMD to update their drivers and fix the problem.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

Cacodemon345 wrote:Rollback your AMD drivers back to 18.6.1. That's the best you can do for now. Wait for AMD to update their drivers and fix the problem.
I can confirm this to be the solution. Fortnite complained that my drivers had issues, and to update to the beta AMD drivers. That broke GZDoom though, and I'd rather have that working anyway. :lol:

Post by Guest »

Nice to know that it isn't just me.

I can't get the enemies and items to show up no matter what I do, not even changing to software rendering helps, they remain invisible. The only way I can play OG Doom right now is if I use Zandronum. I'd rather not, because I can't play that in VR that I'm aware of.

It's super annoying, because I'm doing a complete VR playthrough of Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom, and I literally just started Final Doom the day this happened. I left town for ten days on business, and got back to find that my game is basically hosed thanks to this problem. I can't find any in game settings that will fix it and a driver rollback seems to be my only option.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Betsy Brivingridge wrote:Nice to know that it isn't just me.

I can't get the enemies and items to show up no matter what I do, not even changing to software rendering helps
What?
If not even software rendering helps it must be something else, because they are drawn by CPU code which isn't affected by driver bugs.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Actually the MinGW build shows sprite problems with both renderers on certain cards.
Betsy Brivingridge wrote:The only way I can play OG Doom right now is if I use Zandronum
Do you mean the old GL renderer is not affected? Curious, then you could use ZDoom32 as well (of course no VR) but a driver rollback is in order.

Post by Guest »

It's a weird problem and definitely the latest AMD driver causing it.

I can confirm a roll back fixed everything. I ran through about half of Plutonia with Brutal Doom installed last night in VR after rolling back, and messed around with it on a regular screen for a bit as well just to confirm everything was working properly once I rolled back to the old driver.

I use ZDL to launch GZDoom and Zandronum, but confirmed that it wasn't ZDL causing the issue by launching GZDoom separately from the GZDoom standalone exe. I'm also sure I have the latest versions of ZDL and GZDoom. I also disabled all mods just to be sure that wasn't a factor.

I don't know why GZDoom doesn't work with the latest AMD driver exactly. I did confirm that messing with the software rendering setting in GZDoom didn't fix the issue. All the sprites were still missing from the game no matter what I did in the in game settings.

Whatever it is that is breaking sprites in GZDoom, it's definitely the new AMD GPU driver that is causing it as a rollback instantly made the problems go away, and it doesn't affect anything but GZDoom as far as I can tell. I ran Doom in Zandronum, the Doom 3 BFG edition version, and the Steam standalone version, and they all worked as they should.
AL-97

Post by AL-97 »

Unfortunately, the problem still hasn't been solved, even by the latest AMD Radeon Adrenalin 18.8.2 update. To anyone affected, like myself, I urge you to send a bug report: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se/5A1E27D23A3DE966.
Klemc

Post by Klemc »

I have this problem since MAP06 (Doom2).

Posted on doomworld.com so i won't make a copy of the post but link to it instead.

It concerns only :

"Former Commando" alias "ChaingunGuy" are invisible (totally). "Arachnotron" too.

On MAP07 "Mancubus" alias "Fatso" also (totally, but i see projectiles).

Last post from today ; with image (it popups, can't miss the post) :
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... instances/
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

PLease don't bump old threads for new problems!
Klemc

Post by Klemc »

It seems it was only load order due to Neural Upscale (PMed Graf Zahl)

Return to “Technical Issues”