Bullet Time X [v1.3.1] (Slow Motion Mod)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
Xortts
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:06 am

Bullet Time X [v1.3.1] (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by Xortts »


Requires GZDoom 4.3.3 or higher!

Bullet Time X is a gameplay mod based on Max Payne’s bullet time.
My main goal was to be able to use this as an addon for multiple mods where not only the world around you is slowed down, but also your weapons, movement, sounds and everything!

Allowing you to slow everything down when you need it most, provided that you have enough adrenaline in your system to utilize this great power.

Fully developed in ZScript, which gave me full freedom on how to properly slow everything down while allowing the player to feel in full control of movement and actions being made when activated.

Press 'B' to activate it, or you can also change the key in the controls menu.

Features
  • Full compatibility with other mods (Brutal Doom, Hideous Destructor, Gun Caster, Smooth Doom and many more!)
  • Slow down of not only monsters and yourself, but environment (doors, lifts, lights) and sounds
  • Customizable Slow Down multipliers (player and environment)
  • Customizable Bullet Time duration
  • Customizable Bullet Time sound effects
  • Infinite Bullet Time
  • Mid-air Bullet Time
  • Adrenaline System (kill more monsters or get damaged to gain more adrenaline)
  • Activate / Deactivate when needed
Some Tips
  • When jumping / on air, adrenaline is not needed to activate bullet time and it will last as long as you don’t touch the floor
  • Berserker packs fills and gives infinite adrenaline. Also, you will be faster during bullet time!
  • Enemies with more health will give more adrenaline when killed
Some Clips
Spoiler:
Download! (Moddb)

Note: Mod should be loaded as last one, this is to prevent any issues with other mods.

Changelog
Spoiler:
Last edited by Xortts on Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.
User avatar
Spaceman333
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Bullet Time X (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by Spaceman333 »

I'm super excited to play with this. Slowing down doors and lifts as well as a more unified presentation already makes this far better than my old mod.
User avatar
Enjay
 
 
Posts: 26537
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Bullet Time X (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by Enjay »

:shock:
You have just done what, on several occasions in the past, has been described as "can't be done". On a quick spin, it seems to work really well.

An alternative to how to gain this ability in game would be as an inventory-based PowerUp that could be picked up, activated from the inventory and removed from the inventory on activation (i.e. it's a one-shot deal that is found and used rather than recharging all the time). I had a quick look at the code to see if I might be able to do something like that but there is too much in there for me to wrap my head around.

Very nice implementation though. :thumb:
User avatar
BradmanX
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:45 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Bullet Time X (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by BradmanX »

Very nice mod, just out of curiousity though, do you think you could add a CVAR or series of CVARs to disable the adrenaline system and/or make the meter regen over a user defined amount of time, for those that might want to be able to use the bullet time without having to build up the meter through kills.
User avatar
Kinsie
Posts: 7402
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:22 am
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: MAP33

Re: Bullet Time X (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by Kinsie »

Oh my giddy aunt.

Out of interest, what is your licensing/permissions for other mods to include/adapt this?
User avatar
Xortts
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:06 am

Re: Bullet Time X (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by Xortts »

Spaceman333 wrote:I'm super excited to play with this. Slowing down doors and lifts as well as a more unified presentation already makes this far better than my old mod.
Thanks!! I was inspired by watching your mod, the slowing down of lifts and doors is what I wanted to achieve, boy was it a pain the butt but it was worth it!
Enjay wrote::shock:
You have just done what, on several occasions in the past, has been described as "can't be done". On a quick spin, it seems to work really well.

An alternative to how to gain this ability in game would be as an inventory-based PowerUp that could be picked up, activated from the inventory and removed from the inventory on activation (i.e. it's a one-shot deal that is found and used rather than recharging all the time). I had a quick look at the code to see if I might be able to do something like that but there is too much in there for me to wrap my head around.

Very nice implementation though. :thumb:
Thanks!! Regarding the inventory-based powerup, you mean that once it is used, it is removed? It could be an interesting alternative, but I probably should replace with an item that is somewhat common, so that it can be used multiple times during the same level I guess
BradmanX wrote:Very nice mod, just out of curiousity though, do you think you could add a CVAR or series of CVARs to disable the adrenaline system and/or make the meter regen over a user defined amount of time, for those that might want to be able to use the bullet time without having to build up the meter through kills.


Thanks!! Sure, I will add it in the next update, like an infinite switch or another switch to disable the adrenaline system altogether in the menu options
Kinsie wrote:Oh my giddy aunt.

Out of interest, what is your licensing/permissions for other mods to include/adapt this?
Probably the one that matches the best is the MIT licensing one. You can do whatever you want with the mod (include it, modify it, etc), although if possible, please mention me in the credits or somewhere around the code. I would really appreciate it :D
User avatar
Nems
Posts: 689
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:09 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: Your forum thread

Re: Bullet Time X (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by Nems »

I didn't get a chance to take a screenshot of an issue I'm having with this and Trailblazer (gonna be going to work soon) but I wanted to bring it up and describe it to the best of my ability. There seems to be some conflicts with the health bonuses when loaded with Trailblazer as the sprites flicker between Doom's health bonus, Trailblazer's health bonus, and Trailblazer's health syringe boost. I even tried loading Bullet Time X last like it recommended and I still get the issue. Removing Bullet Time X resolves it.

I'll do some more testing when I get back from work later tonight. Other than that issue, I'm really enjoying the mod. :D
User avatar
mamaluigisbagel
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:25 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Bullet Time X (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Personally I never found a use for bullet time in games other than looking cool, plus its another keybind on top of the hundreds I have to use, but will say I really like this one. I don't think I'll use it often, but I love that it slows down near EVERYTHING. (I assume there's something out there it doesn't slow, whether it be intentional or a bug.)

Would also suggest an option to move the stopwatch icon, since some mods actually use the top-right part of the screen for their HUDs.
User avatar
Marisa the Magician
Posts: 3886
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:15 am
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: Vigo, Galicia

Re: Bullet Time X (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I'm sorry to say this but, the way you're handling stopping/resuming scrollers completely breaks ANY AND ALL MODS that use static thinkers.

Just saying.
User avatar
Xortts
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:06 am

Re: Bullet Time X (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by Xortts »

Nems wrote:I didn't get a chance to take a screenshot of an issue I'm having with this and Trailblazer (gonna be going to work soon) but I wanted to bring it up and describe it to the best of my ability. There seems to be some conflicts with the health bonuses when loaded with Trailblazer as the sprites flicker between Doom's health bonus, Trailblazer's health bonus, and Trailblazer's health syringe boost. I even tried loading Bullet Time X last like it recommended and I still get the issue. Removing Bullet Time X resolves it.
Thanks!! Yeah that's probably because I wanted to replace all HealthBonuses so that when picking them up it gives adrenaline, but it only works with vanilla doom and apparently doesn't even work with mods, so I'll probably remove it and it will fix that as well.
mamaluigisbagel wrote:Personally I never found a use for bullet time in games other than looking cool, plus its another keybind on top of the hundreds I have to use, but will say I really like this one. I don't think I'll use it often, but I love that it slows down near EVERYTHING. (I assume there's something out there it doesn't slow, whether it be intentional or a bug.)

Would also suggest an option to move the stopwatch icon, since some mods actually use the top-right part of the screen for their HUDs.
Thanks! glad you liked it!
Got it, option will be added in the next update.
Marisa Kirisame wrote:I'm sorry to say this but, the way you're handling stopping/resuming scrollers completely breaks ANY AND ALL MODS that use static thinkers.

Just saying.
Ohhh just rechecked it and you're right, it checks for all thinkers of type 'Object'. May have to find a workaround or just remove the slowdown of scrollers.
Thanks for pointing it out!
lu88lu
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:50 pm

Re: Bullet Time X (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by lu88lu »

I sometimes get a bug where it freezes me in place
User avatar
mamaluigisbagel
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:25 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Bullet Time X (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

(I just noticed I called the hourglass a stopwatch.....man I need a new brain)

Thinking about this, if we can get that infinite slow motion option someone mentioned, we can combine this with Gearbox to make a pseudo-Doom 2016/Eternal style weapon wheel :o
Last edited by mamaluigisbagel on Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Nash
 
 
Posts: 17450
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:07 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Bullet Time X (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by Nash »

Any way to get the wall decal animations to slow down? Currently they are unaffected.

(decals on walls can have animation - like the plasma/BFG decals, or BloodSmear1/BloodSmear2)
User avatar
m1lk
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:00 pm
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Bullet Time X (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by m1lk »

its cool. i like how you have to replenish it by killing enemies, the sounds effects from Max Payne....but it slows it down TOO much.... you gain no advantage. your shots are delayed. i was hoping for something like FEAR slowmo
User avatar
Xortts
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:06 am

Re: Bullet Time X (Slow Motion Mod)

Post by Xortts »

lu88lu wrote:I sometimes get a bug where it freezes me in place
Are you using any other mods or wads? On which map?
Where you standing on the floor or on top of an enemy when it froze you in place?
Nash wrote:Any way to get the wall decal animations to slow down? Currently they are unaffected.

(decals on walls can have animation - like the plasma/BFG decals, or BloodSmear1/BloodSmear2)
Did a little bit of research and testing, and unfortunately hit a dead end..
I just tried 'slowing' it down by pausing the ticking of the thinker (changing stat num from STAT_DECALTHINKER to STAT_STATIC) so it ignores the tic function. However, it seems that once the animation starts, there is no way to stop that timer.
Let's just say the animation has 10 frames / tics, I paused it at the first one by changing the statNum to STAT_STATIC, waited maybe 200 tics, and then changed it again to STAT_DECALTHINKER and instead of resuming on the 2nd frame, the animation ended and the decal got deleted. What's wierd is that the first frame stayed until I resumed the ticking, it didn't change its opacity or anything.
Also the className of the decal is 'DecalFader' but when I try to reference it, it throws 'Unable to resolve DecalFader as type' and there is no documentation of that class anywhere..

Any ideas?
m1lk wrote:its cool. i like how you have to replenish it by killing enemies, the sounds effects from Max Payne....but it slows it down TOO much.... you gain no advantage. your shots are delayed. i was hoping for something like FEAR slowmo
You can change the multiplier of the slow down on the options menu. Although it does change the player speed as well, maybe in a future update I will separate that multiplier so that the Player has a different speed in bullet time (like going a little bit faster)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”