SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
eharper256

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.13 (01/Jun/2021)

Post by eharper256 »

One funny point: on the https://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads page, its implied that the beta4 release is older than the current stable since you've put 2021 rather than 2022 in the release date. And the links are broken. :lol:

Thanks for the release! I look forwards to checking it out when I can get the download.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Heh fixed :P Also if you downloaded the beta earlier than this post, I've reuploaded the beta with an extra fix for a major issue that was found, so you might want to redownload it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thank you kindly for the new beta. :D

Reading the beta notes, all of the changes sound like positive and valuable improvements to me. :thumb:
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

The update is worth it for the ZDoom definitions alone (the amount of times I have to look up the ordering on A_Startsound and its properties on the wiki before is silly) so thanks for that.

Still has both of the issues I noted way back last year though...
eharper256 wrote:One other bug (well, more like missing feature) I keep forgetting to mention which keeps catching me out in SLADE; it seems like it can't switch to a new Audio device when one is plugged in whilst SLADE is already running.

This is something I do quite frequently (putting my USB headphones in to listen more closely to sounds or musics) but then I end up startled as it still comes out my speakers. Doing this in fact then breaks audio previews in SLADE forever until you restart it entirely.
eharper256 wrote:It's quite strange, I've been using the Beta 2 for ages with no issues (besides the thing where new files opened in windows file explorer always load in new instances of SLADE rather than new tabs in your current SLADE that was loaded from the taskbar unless you drag and drop them onto the main window, which is a mild nuisance
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

The issue with launching multiple instances of SLADE via 'open with' should hopefully be fixed in 3.2.0 final. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do about the sound device thing, SFML doesn't support switching (or even manually specifying) audio device during runtime, it'll just select the 'default' device when it starts and that's it.
simc

Post by simc »

A problem with the entry list . (Windows 64 bit 3.2.0 betas 2-4 but not in beta 1)
Spoiler:
Last edited by simc on Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Yeah, unfortnuately I'm not sure there is much I can do about that, it's because beta 2+ uses wxDataViewCtrl as the base for the entry list, so that it can be displayed as a tree. For whatever reason wxDataViewCtrl has weird multi-selection logic. I'll see if it's possible to somehow manually override the behaviour, but it might be tricky (and introduce other issues)
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

SLADE v3.2.0 is now released:
https://slade.mancubus.net
https://github.com/sirjuddington/SLADE/ ... /tag/3.2.0

(the wrong shift+arrow key behaviour from the last post should be fixed now too)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.0 (12/April/2022)

Post by Kinsie »

Giving this a shot after years of stubbornly sticking to 3.1.8, and while I have no doubt that there are a lot of positive changes under the hood... why are the Zoom controls in an entirely different postcode from every other control?

Feels very unintuitive even outside of being used to the old placement.
nova++

Post by nova++ »

It's a miracle!

So uh... I don't suppose it'd be possible to make some sort of standalone linux binary release (or appimage, etc) instead of waiting for someone to get around to kicking the package repos to update?
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Kinsie wrote:Giving this a shot after years of stubbornly sticking to 3.1.8, and while I have no doubt that there are a lot of positive changes under the hood... why are the Zoom controls in an entirely different postcode from every other control?

(image)

Feels very unintuitive even outside of being used to the old placement.
It's there because that is where the zoom control usually is in most 'paint' programs. I guess it could be moved up to the top right with the other view-related controls though. I also want to add the ability to zoom using the scrollwheel or keyboard shortcuts.
nova++ wrote:It's a miracle!

So uh... I don't suppose it'd be possible to make some sort of standalone linux binary release (or appimage, etc) instead of waiting for someone to get around to kicking the package repos to update?
Hmm not really no, unless someone else wants to set up a script or something I can run. I had a look at AppImage a while back but found it very difficult to work with. The flatpak (https://flathub.org/apps/details/net.mancubus.SLADE) usually isn't *too* far behind (though it isn't updated to 3.2.0 just yet)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

sirjuddington wrote:It's there because that is where the zoom control usually is in most 'paint' programs.
Is it? I only have Photoshop and MSPaint installed right now, and only Paint has it there. And even then, it has a dedicated zoom tool alongside all of the other tools in the top left!

Photoshop, for what its worth, has a standard zoom tool among all the others that places its settings in the exact same place as any other tool.
sirjuddington wrote:I also want to add the ability to zoom using the scrollwheel or keyboard shortcuts.
Mousewheel zoom is (well, was) already present in 3.1.8 by placing your cursor over the slider-bar. Ripping out a functional, comfortable feature and replacing it with a worse version and an IOU that maybe half of it will come back feels counter-intuitive at best.

It says a lot about the UI changes throughout the beta that one of the biggest banner features of the stable release was the ability to revert half of them. I want to like new versions, a ton of good, hard work went into them and I respect and admire that! But they all send me screaming back to 3.1.8 after just 15 minutes because no matter how much better things are under the hood, pretty much every single interface change is for the worse.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Kinsie wrote:
sirjuddington wrote:It's there because that is where the zoom control usually is in most 'paint' programs.
Is it? I only have Photoshop and MSPaint installed right now, and only Paint has it there. And even then, it has a dedicated zoom tool alongside all of the other tools in the top left!

Photoshop, for what its worth, has a standard zoom tool among all the others that places its settings in the exact same place as any other tool.[/url]
Hmm ok, can't say I looked at photoshop at all, since I don't own it. Paint, Paint.NET and Krita all had the (non-tool) zoom controls at the bottom right which is what I went by.
Kinsie wrote:
sirjuddington wrote:I also want to add the ability to zoom using the scrollwheel or keyboard shortcuts.
Mousewheel zoom is (well, was) already present in 3.1.8 by placing your cursor over the slider-bar. Ripping out a functional, comfortable feature and replacing it with a worse version and an IOU that maybe half of it will come back feels counter-intuitive at best.
I'd say 'worse version' is pretty subjective there. Personally I had wanted to replace the zoom slider for a long time - it took up too much space on the bar and was difficult to select an exact zoom level with, I only ended up using the + and - buttons anyway.
Kinsie wrote:It says a lot about the UI changes throughout the beta that one of the biggest banner features of the stable release was the ability to revert half of them. I want to like new versions, a ton of good, hard work went into them and I respect and admire that! But they all send me screaming back to 3.1.8 after just 15 minutes because no matter how much better things are under the hood, pretty much every single interface change is for the worse.
The only one that can be reverted is the tree-style entry list, which was the only UI update I had always planned on adding the option to revert if enough people disliked it (see the beta 2 news post). Not sure what else to say really - if the UI changes really make it unusable for you, you're free to stick with an older version for now.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Personally, I can't live without the new tree style entry list. Makes it much easier to reference other items you have in Archive (like name of a sound or sprite) whilst having a text file up you need to type that into; I wouldn't want to go back.

Zoom seems mostly irrelevant to me in SLADE itself; you're not using it to edit images, you're doing that in Photoshop beforehand, so its just there to pick out details of sprites if you're doing something like translations. Mousewheel zoom is also frustratingly imprecise compared to typing in a level of zoom or having fixed zoom levels.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Just noticed a rather frustrating issue going from beta3 to 4, and then to the full release since I thought it might be a beta4 issue.

When you are clicking between two different archives on different tabs; the currently open directory structure is not preserved. So if I close the /Graphics/ directory on archive A's tab, and move to B, do stuff, go back to archive A's tab, /Graphics/ is suddenly open again. Makes comparing assets between archives very difficult.

Uploaded a super-short video to my google drive to demonstrate: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v303YV ... sp=sharing

The behaviour here is very inconsistent; you can see I close /graphics/ and /Myrmidon/ under /sprites/ to test, but when I get back, /Myrmidon/ is still closed but /Graphics/ is still open.

--------

Also, is there a way to disable the auto-renaming of things to have the (1). I appreciate the warning I have duplicates when I save and want to keep that (it already noticed I had 3 duplicates in my last release lol), but I always really liked the fact it did not rename before, because you could add a new version of a sprite after doing some changes, and then hop up and down with arrow keys to compare them in the viewer, copy offsets easily, and then just delete the inferior one without having to faff and rename it again. As it stands I might need to drop back to beta 3 as that's such a valuable feature when you're revising sprites.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”