Scavver's Paradise V2.3.1 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

AMMO: Should ammunition have weight?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:11 pm

1) Yes! Make the ammo harness reduce reloading speed.
36%
2) Nah! Keep the hard ammo caps and weightlessness plz.
14%
3) Both! Make it a CVAR that players can toggle as desired. (DUNNO If I can accomplish this!)
50%

Total votes: 14

mrspeaker

Re: Scavver's Paradise V2.0 - A Survival Horror Mod

Post by mrspeaker »

How can I add an inventory item with associated bulk? The items I add have zero bulk. I basically copied the code from other items so it should work but it doesn't.
Example of one:

Code: Select all

ACTOR BFriendBeacon : CustomInventory
{
   Radius 21
   Height 12
   Scale 0.5
   Inventory.Amount 1
   Inventory.MaxAmount 5
   Inventory.InterHubAmount 5
   Inventory.PickupSound "items/getinvteleporter"
   Inventory.UseSound "misc/invuse"
   Inventory.PickupMessage "Got a Reinforcement Beacon"
   Inventory.Icon "TLPR"
   Tag "Reinforcement Beacon"
   +INVBAR
   +FLOORCLIP
   States
   {
   Spawn:
      TLPR A 1
	  TLPR A 0 A_SpawnItemEx("BFTGiver",0,0,0,3,0,0)
	  Stop
   Use:
      TLPR A 0 A_SpawnItemEx("BrutalFriendTeleporterDroppers",2,8,2,0)
      Stop
   } 
}

actor BFTGiver : CustomInventory
{
	Inventory.PickupMessage ""
	Inventory.PickupSound ""
	Tag "Reinforcement Beacon"
	Scale 0.5
	States
  {
	Spawn:
	  TLPR A -1
	  Loop
	Pickup:
	  TLPR A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("BFriendBeacon",5,"PickupDont")
	  TLPR A 0 A_GiveInventory("ItemBulk",7)
      TLPR A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("ItemBulk",0,"PickupNot")
	  TLPR A 0 {A_GiveInventory("BFriendBeacon"); A_GiveInventory("ItemBulk");}
      TLPR A 0 {A_Log("You've found a reinforcement beacon!"); A_StartSound("items/stealthon",CHAN_ITEM);}
	  Stop
	PickupNot:
      TLPR A 0 A_Print("This Reinforcement Beacon takes up 8 units of space. You're carrying too much. Drop an item, perhaps?")
      Fail
	PickupDont:
      TLPR A 0
      Fail
  }
}
CaptainNurbles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CaptainNurbles »

You'll also have to go into the ACS file and add the item to the Bulk system within. It'll be the ItemLimit script.

GiveInventory("ItemBulk",CheckInventory("BFriendBeacon")*8);  //If "BFriendBeacon" is in the player's inventory, give ItemBulk * 8
Once that's added in and you recompile the ACS it should work just fine. Doing so will break any saves you're running, however.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

CaptainNurbles wrote:Don't need to be cluttering the forum up, but a new poll is up! I'm contemplating redoing the weight system to make things less jank and less limiting and to make things a bit more dynamic and fun for the player. Part of me says keep it as it is since it's technically functional and I'm a lazy sumbitch, but also having weight be more than just a binary "you can carry it or you can't and need to drop stuff" would likely make the mod more fun.

Please cast a vote if you can! The more input I get the better.
I'd say 1 or 3. Unlimited capacity where you go slower and slower sounds good on paper, but usually ends up being really easy to exploit. The Last Stand Aftermath does that and usually the benefits of being a walking pharmacy outweighs being slow, even if you get really slow.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

-Ghost- wrote:
CaptainNurbles wrote:Don't need to be cluttering the forum up, but a new poll is up! I'm contemplating redoing the weight system to make things less jank and less limiting and to make things a bit more dynamic and fun for the player. Part of me says keep it as it is since it's technically functional and I'm a lazy sumbitch, but also having weight be more than just a binary "you can carry it or you can't and need to drop stuff" would likely make the mod more fun.

Please cast a vote if you can! The more input I get the better.
I'd say 1 or 3. Unlimited capacity where you go slower and slower sounds good on paper, but usually ends up being really easy to exploit. The Last Stand Aftermath does that and usually the benefits of being a walking pharmacy outweighs being slow, even if you get really slow.
I probably should have mentioned, TECHNICALLY uncapped is the plan with that option, but once you have enough weight on you you're slowed to a painful crawl, if not completely immobile. You can pick up infinite amounts of equipment, but after a certain threshold you'd be so bogged down with weight that there's a chance the size of a gnat's labia that you'd be able to survive the level.

I've edited the poll question to be more clear!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, that's how that game does it as well, but it's still generally pretty easy to either just carry a lot and deal with the speed, or mule a bunch of stuff to a particular spot (end of the level, before a tough fight, etc.) and just spam everything at once to become immortal. I could see if being okay if there's a limit on healing item use and such, like OD'ing or just being flat out unable to use too many things at once until the effects are gone.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

-Ghost- wrote:it's still generally pretty easy to either just carry a lot and deal with the speed, or mule a bunch of stuff to a particular spot (end of the level, before a tough fight, etc.) and just spam everything at once to become immortal. I could see if being okay if there's a limit on healing item use and such, like OD'ing or just being flat out unable to use too many things at once until the effects are gone.
Actually healing items are currently limited like that. Max of three hits on most medical consumables that directly add to your HP (bandages, medigel, all stimpaks,) with blood packs and saline packs only being able to stack one of at a time, and the same goes for pain killers, antirad, adrenaline, void spheres, etc.

Also, update video, to show you folks what's coming up!

-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Looks good, the weapons get better every update! One question for the sounds, any potential of getting even more System Shock sounds in there? Maybe some Thief or Deus Ex ones would work well too; they just all have a nice crispness to them that fits the mod perfectly.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

-Ghost- wrote:Looks good, the weapons get better every update! One question for the sounds, any potential of getting even more System Shock sounds in there? Maybe some Thief or Deus Ex ones would work well too; they just all have a nice crispness to them that fits the mod perfectly.
If I add new monsters I'll likely source games like that for sounds, depending on how it fits into the dark, oppressive atmosphere of the mod's setting! Though that said I was wanting to add more sound bytes to the zombies, imps, and chaingunners, since you encounter them so frequently that the few sound bytes in use right now do get old pretty quickly.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

CaptainNurbles wrote:
-Ghost- wrote:Looks good, the weapons get better every update! One question for the sounds, any potential of getting even more System Shock sounds in there? Maybe some Thief or Deus Ex ones would work well too; they just all have a nice crispness to them that fits the mod perfectly.
If I add new monsters I'll likely source games like that for sounds, depending on how it fits into the dark, oppressive atmosphere of the mod's setting! Though that said I was wanting to add more sound bytes to the zombies, imps, and chaingunners, since you encounter them so frequently that the few sound bytes in use right now do get old pretty quickly.
Sounds good! If it helps, I can send you some sounds; I'm a dev for the LitDoom survival horror mod and I've acquired a lot of sounds from various older games like Thief, etc.
mrspeaker

Post by mrspeaker »

CaptainNurbles wrote: If I add new monsters I'll likely source games like that for sounds, depending on how it fits into the dark, oppressive atmosphere of the mod's setting! Though that said I was wanting to add more sound bytes to the zombies, imps, and chaingunners, since you encounter them so frequently that the few sound bytes in use right now do get old pretty quickly.
Honestly I think this mod would be perfect with the Project Malice monster sounds and sprites.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Would it be possible to add maybe a free sort of "stem bleeding/put pressure on it" sort of mechanic for when we don't have healing items? Sometimes you just get bad RNG with no medical supplies, so it'd be nice to have some sort of slow way to work on moderate/heavier bleeding that's only really viable if you've cleared the room and aren't at like 10 HP. It does slow on its own, but I think you generally bleed out pretty quickly unless you're at max health.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

-Ghost- wrote:Would it be possible to add maybe a free sort of "stem bleeding/put pressure on it" sort of mechanic for when we don't have healing items? Sometimes you just get bad RNG with no medical supplies, so it'd be nice to have some sort of slow way to work on moderate/heavier bleeding that's only really viable if you've cleared the room and aren't at like 10 HP. It does slow on its own, but I think you generally bleed out pretty quickly unless you're at max health.
Not actually a bad idea. I'd also been planning on increasing the rate at which bleeding reduces.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, maybe as a slot 9 or 0 "item" or something just for those off chances where you get hit hard and haven't seen any healing items for 2 maps. I think Hideous Destructor has something similar but it takes long enough that you can't do it mid-combat or anything like that.
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cosmos10040 »

I dont know why but i just found out about this mod! I like it very much. Seems like a hdest lite one of my fav doom mods along with LIT doom and DRLA. Please continue this mod.
q3cpma

Post by q3cpma »

Hello, congratulations on such a polished mod, its is one of my favourites (works well together with mk-crits) as a HD with a less "joke" difficulty. I particularly like the PDA, too.

I've encountered some problems:
* The TM-7 Nanoweave Battle Armor doesn't seem to work: if I use USE on it, it disappears, but I don't get any armor; no error in console.
* I get the following errors with gzdoom 4.7.1:

Script error, "Scavver's Paradise V2.0.pk3:actors/monsters/doomimpreplace.dec" line 418:
Replaced type 'Shadow' not found for Cloaker
Script error, "Scavver's Paradise V2.0.pk3:actors/monsters/demonreplace.dec" line 44:
Replaced type 'BloodDemon' not found for FeindishBloodDemon
Script error, "Scavver's Paradise V2.0.pk3:actors/monsters/demonreplace.dec" line 118:
Replaced type 'BloodFiend' not found for DemonicBloodFiend
Script error, "Scavver's Paradise V2.0.pk3:actors/monsters/hellknightreplace.dec" line 435:
Replaced type 'Cybruiser' not found for CybruiserClone
* I remember having got Parasitic Infection with no obvious reason: the killed imps were at a considerable distance or not even in the LOS (using Swarm Pod).

Also, sorry if this has already been proposed, but an option to ignore empty weapons when cycling them would be nice.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”