ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
cowsay

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by cowsay »

This is probably a pipe dream at this point, but it would be really neat to have some kind of unified source port software that could load engines in as modules and play all the oldschool games.

A bit like libretro/Retroarch

<Unified retro shooter game runner>
- Import engine modules
--- Import GZDoom as a module
------ Enable Brutal Doom as a setting of the GZDoom module
--- Import ECWolf as module
--- Import Raze as module
--- etc etc
- Engine settings
--- Use shared control scheme (gamepad, keyboard/mouse, etc)
--- Use shared resolution/rendering settings
--- Use per-engine settings where applicable
- Game file structure
--- <configdir>/games/<game_name>/*.wad,*.cfg
------ config files in each game folder with engine preferences for that game
- Public multiplayer game browser, join random people for a match
- 10-foot UI mode for TVs (like Kodi, Retroarch, etc)
--- Game browser, box art, game description, screenshots, etc

I see source port community heading in this general direction already.. just that nobody has connected all the dots quite yet.

Of course, such a project would not be for the faint of heart :wink:
Ninlhil

Post by Ninlhil »

I'm interested in a kind of Metal Gear-type game, but I'm curious if its even possible to limit the awareness of the enemies in this engine to even give a chance to MG style sneaking gameplay.
gayzad

Post by gayzad »

Streets of Rogue 3D. Could be pretty neat.
Jvrol

Post by Jvrol »

One idea I have is either a gameplay mod or a Full bown TC where you play as a Vampire in a WoD style gothic punk setting.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Mapset/Megawad idea:

You'll laugh at me, but you'll understand why when i get there;

I feel we lack urban, city-like megawads. Yes, yes, yes. Off the top of my head i can name a few: Hellbound, NeoDoom, Planisphere, Sacrament... these are all kinds of doom cute, urban styled and "realistic" architecture. But they have something in common: the maps are too damn big!

So my idea of megawad would be to create short, fast, low-populated city levels with a vanilla Doom II progression, trying to avoid the inevitable slaughter descending to hell or 500+ monster open arenas. Starts with small streets and alleys, some buildings here and there, occasionally some squares and blocks. Nothing fancy.
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Mapset/Megawad idea:
I feel we lack urban, city-like megawads....the maps are too damn big!

So my idea of megawad would be to create short, fast, low-populated city levels with a vanilla Doom II progression, trying to avoid the inevitable slaughter descending to hell or 500+ monster open arenas. Starts with small streets and alleys, some buildings here and there, occasionally some squares and blocks. Nothing fancy.
I absolutely love this idea. I love fighting in semi-realistic environments but all the amazing city maps are massive and firing your weapon brings several hundred monsters after you immediately (looking at you Dawn of Reality) I would like smaller simpler levels with set feel, Like a nightclub, a apartment building, a abandoned hospital, a crackhouse, a chopshop.etc. you could have outdoors areas to like back alleys, or on rooftops, construction site while still keeping actual playing area smaller.

I would also like to up the ante and have all these accessible from a slightly bigger HUD level(probably a non-hostile one) so you can do them in any order you want.

this is beyond my skills as I am quite frankly completely shit at mapping :oops: but would love to see it happen.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Thanks! I'm no mapper as well (wish i was), but that's why i more kinda post it here rather than keeping it to me.

I even thought about some plot and ways to keep the wad out of boredom. Some stages could take place on, say, a building (kinda like Going Down, but not more than one or two floors, just something to justify a player entering there to get a shortcut or accessing another area that was blocked through the conventional way).
CoolerDoomeR
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by CoolerDoomeR »

Hi there, i have a idea for a Total Conversion mod.
The player is a serial killer who tries to kill everyone in the city and some peoples tries to kill the killer too, its a good idea but if the killer will be Michael Myers or Ghostface or Jason Vorhees it will be so cool.
Sorry for my bad english. :wub:

Post by Guest »

My idea is a doom monster pack where you fight the nonmarine side of the uac. I was disappointed with the lack of of enemy variety in mods like doomless so I thought giving the focus to uac engineers, scientists, and cultists would be a good change. A complete monster replacement pack with coding is more than I can manage though so I'll aim for just making a handful of spritesheets and uploading it to realm667.

https://imgur.com/a/xGNz1mz
7Soul

Post by 7Soul »

Cartoom, a cartoony Doom mod. Replace all graphics with cartoony counterparts inspired by stuff like Tom & Jerry and Bugs Bunny. Colorful style similar to Adventures of Square
Vanille987

Post by Vanille987 »

I know there's a lot of RPG mods for the hexen franchise already and this isn't awfully original, but at some point I would love to try my hand at making a RPG where you start with a blank slate character and can build in a lot of directions from there and mix things to and come closer and closer to your unique custom build.

Compare to playing dark souls and starting with the deprived 'class'.

I have some semi-advanced coding experience with C# and unity and if I put the time in I'm sure I can learn how to make this with the doom engine, but well time I don't have much off currently. And I may attempt to make a game like this in unity, but at this point only time will tell (hah)
r&r

Post by r&r »

I don't know if anyone ever played or heard of this game before called
Noct
https://youtu.be/XRSdUPSCC2s

The game is delisted now.

It goes by a top down survival horror shooter where you gather resources and items.
The visual style is pixel art are black and white thermal vision, where you can play solo, coop or pvp.

Don't know if that sounds interesting to for a doom horror mod?
But maybe in first person instead?
But like having a lore these creatures can only be seen
in thermal vision only,
and these unknown creatures have forms of insects and amphibians other strange horrific like things.
Vanille987

Post by Vanille987 »

r&r wrote:I don't know if anyone ever played or heard of this game before called
Noct
https://youtu.be/XRSdUPSCC2s

The game is delisted now.

It goes by a top down survival horror shooter where you gather resources and items.
The visual style is pixel art are black and white thermal vision, where you can play solo, coop or pvp.

Don't know if that sounds interesting to for a doom horror mod?
But maybe in first person instead?
But like having a lore these creatures can only be seen
in thermal vision only,
and these unknown creatures have forms of insects and amphibians other strange horrific like things.
I'd say it does, though it may be hard to have that effect in first person and have everything to be 'clear enough' and it not causing a headache
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

So I was thinking about doing a vanilla+ type arcadey mod, and the thought occured to me that a doom/rott mod has never been made.
Not doom with rott assets.
not rott with doom assets.

A mod where doom themed weapons are balanced and play like Rott weapons, but with a decidedly doom twist: not just crazy rockets and stuff.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Thinking of making a soundtrack for one of the two Dooms. Anything to get the creative juices flowing musically. Mainly just producing 80s industrial, ala ministry nin etc. Wheres the best place to start? Ogg files renamed the same as the original level file right? Also not sure if this is the place to talk about this kind of thing, but it is an idea still.

Return to “General”