E2M1 - Deimos Anomaly Remake

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Guardsoul

E2M1 - Deimos Anomaly Remake

Post by Guardsoul »

Another remake emerges...

Right after finishing my E1M5 remake I decided that it would be an interesting idea to do another remake... but this time of a map from episode 2, the shores of hell! So the premise it´s the same as the other remakes I made, modernizing the looks of the original map while trying to improve the gameplay.

And the result was this map, an UDMF map that makes use of advanced features like dynamic lights, portals and ambient sounds accompanied by a fantastic track created by our talented musician Jimmy, so make sure to turn the volume up to get the best experience possible!

Shout-out to the testing team ( Bridgeburner56, Major Arlene, Remmirath, CyanoBlugron, Jimmy, Dragonfly and Tristan), this map wouldn´t be the same without your feedback!

Time for some screenshots!

Frequently asked questions:

What IWAD should I use to play the map?
This map will replace E2M1 so The Ultimate Doom IWAD is the way to go. The map is also configured to select it automatically for you.

Will this be mod compatible?
This is just a map with some minor sfx, new textures and music so it should be compatible with all mods as long as they don´t break the scripts or the UDMF properties.

Have you planned any other remakes for the future?
There are a couple more planned for the near future.

What should I use to run the map?
GZDoom 4.5 or above with dynamic lights, shadowmaps and brightmaps enabled. Jumping and crouching are allowed.

Download link?
Sure!: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cp-nK8 ... sp=sharing

And if you haven´t played them yet, give both E1M3 and E1M5 some love!

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74135

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61468
Jblade

Re: E2M1 - Deimos Anomaly Remake

Post by Jblade »

just checked it out, not much to say other than I really liked it - the style also reminded me of the ZDCMP2 as well, but it was still recognisable as E2M1. Nice work!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Well this is most welcome. :biggrin:

Fantastic map. As with your other remakes, the quality is top notch. The logic and layout are familiar enough for it still to be very much recognisable as E2M1. As such, it doesn't over-reach itself and become a sprawling unnavigable maze, but it ramps up the complexity to a wonderful sweet spot of achieving genuine faithfulness and modern gameplay.

I completed it with 100% kills and 100% secrets and with one item uncollected. It was probably just a health potion or something I skipped so I didn't want to scour the whole map for it. Two of the secrets took me a while to find but I knew they must have been around somewhere and eventually I found them.

The visual and gameplay enhancements are just fantastic. The destruction as well as the encroachment of hell-flesh, vines etc is done brilliantly and really gets across the feeling of a base that has become semi-corrupted by hell, as opposed to the (mostly) physical/traditional damage experienced in Episode 1. In other words, it feels exactly like episode 2 is supposed. All the techy details make it feel like it was a real, functioning, futuristic base before things went wrong. I think I've commented something like this before on your maps but, to me, it really looks, feels and plays exactly how I imagine id wanted the game to and how it was in their mind's eye.

Great stuff.

I guess the only minor (and I mean very minor) quibble I have is this bad boy here:

Yes, our old friend the very recognisable Duke Nukem 3D vent fan. To me it is just so identifiable with that game, and very unlike most Doom textures that it really stands out as not belonging. There are several fans available in a much more Doom-like style that would be more fitting IMO.

For example:
Spoiler:
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Yeah, it´s about time to say goodbye to the Duke3D fan which I must admin that it has been one of my favourite textures. It will probably be replaced by the first set of fans you posted, they look perfect in my eyes with the two variations!
Kills_Alone
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kills_Alone »

I'm seeing a ghosting effect above some of the control panels and black where I think a texture should be in some window areas, tested with GZDoom v4.7.1 and v4.6.1.

EDIT: It was the slanted areas, I was editing the level so the scripts that were activated by items would be replaced by linedefs (for BDv21 compatibility) so its something I did myself thus false alert.

Last edited by Kills_Alone on Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Huh, can you please post a screenshot so I can take a look at them?
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Excellent reimagining. Just two small gripes

I would have liked for these two platforms to retract into the swimmable blood pool, as in the original
Spoiler:
and this pool should be a proper swimmable blood pool
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Kappes Buur wrote:I would have liked for these two platforms to retract into the swimmable blood pool, as in the original
It could even be done by the pool being deeper and the crates floating (i.e. 3D floors with a bit of floor waggle applied for a subtle bobbing effect) and then they could sink to the bottom of the pool if the player stands on them... or something.
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Noted for the next version of the map :)
salahmander2

Post by salahmander2 »

Just gave this a whirl. It's really fun, and still recognisable. 1 question, is there plans to compile all these maps in 1 PK3?
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

salahmander2 wrote:Just gave this a whirl. It's really fun, and still recognisable. 1 question, is there plans to compile all these maps in 1 PK3?
Probably :D
More maps are waiting to be completed.

Return to “Levels”