Raze officially revealed!

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Cianez
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Raze officially revealed!

Post by Cianez »

I don't know if this has already been asked but, are you planning to make Redneck Deer Huntin' work with Raze at any point in the future? It would be cool to be able to play it at higher resolutions and optimal mouse support.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If there's ever some usable source, yes. The one from RedNukem just doesn' mix with Raze. I'm also not sure how complete it is, the game always felt quite broken to me.
Cianez

Post by Cianez »

I thought that it could be reverse engineered, unless it's illegal to do so. I have no idea if Deer Huntin' is abandonware or not.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Cianez wrote:I thought that it could be reverse engineered, unless it's illegal to do so. I have no idea if Deer Huntin' is abandonware or not.
The real question is who's going to do that reverse engineering. I'm not sure any of the current devs is interested enough to do it themselves.
Cianez

Post by Cianez »

wildweasel wrote:The real question is who's going to do that reverse engineering. I'm not sure any of the current devs is interested enough to do it themselves.
Heh, yeah that's also a thing unfortunately... But you know, Deer Huntin' is one of those kind of obscure type of Build games that comes from "the big 4" being related to Redneck Rampage, so I thought it was basically easier to port that over.
Other than that though, do you think that it would be possible to have a fully functional port of Deer Huntin' if someone's willing to reverse engineer it? I'm asking because, if I recall correctly, the game uses some weird hacks on the resolution and the weapon scope.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Well, RedNukem (apparently?) runs it, but I'm not sure how complete its support is.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Cianez wrote:
wildweasel wrote:The real question is who's going to do that reverse engineering. I'm not sure any of the current devs is interested enough to do it themselves.
Heh, yeah that's also a thing unfortunately... But you know, Deer Huntin' is one of those kind of obscure type of Build games that comes from "the big 4" being related to Redneck Rampage, so I thought it was basically easier to port that over.
It sure is because the RR/RRRA code can be used as guideline, but make no mistake - reverse engineering is a time consuming thing.
Cianez wrote: Other than that though, do you think that it would be possible to have a fully functional port of Deer Huntin' if someone's willing to reverse engineer it? I'm asking because, if I recall correctly, the game uses some weird hacks on the resolution and the weapon scope.
If there was a code base free of EDuke32'isms - yes. The scope thing would have to be redone using a camera texture - even in RedNukem it never saw a hardware rendering implementation and only worked in software mode.

I really wish Nuke.YKT had done a vanilla reconstruction effort for this like he did for the other two RR games. Such code would be a lot easier to use than what he integrated into RedNukem.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Basically it's safe to assume that the games officially supported are all that the developers intend to support, and that anything else -- Witchaven, Blood Vengeance, Deer Huntin', Tekwar, Legend of the Seven Paladins, Extreme Paintbrawl, Fate demo, Corridor 8 prototype, Liquidator, whatever else you can manage to dig up about obscure Build game titles -- will only happen through third-party contributions.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I already tried to port Witchaven - but uiltimately ran into issues with the shoddy coding quality of the game and in the end decided it wasn't worth it. Similarly, I have zero interest in TekWar and 7 Paladins - these games are just too bad on every conceivable account. And let's better not start talking about all those weird obscurities...

I would support Deer Huntin' if I had a usable code base, though. This one's less problematic because it shares a lot of code with Duke and RR.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”