WidePix v1.3 [complete/final] - GZDoom 4.7.1

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: WidePix v1.3 [complete/final] - GZDoom 4.7.1

Post by Enjay »

Quoted 'cause new page.
Nash wrote:

Nightdive Studios adopted the Strife artwork from WidePix into the Veteran Editions available on Steam and the Nintendo Switch! :D Feeling really blessed :)

Excellent news. Here's hoping that it makes it to the GoG version too. :thumb:

[edit]I just fired up GoG galaxy and Strife:VE updated. SVE.WAD now contains the Widescreen graphics. :biggrin: [/edit]
Devalaous
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Devalaous »

Nash wrote:Sounds like you have a mod loaded that overwrites the graphics - for example the sprite fix project.
Sorry for taking forever to respond, but yeah, that was exactly the issue. I have the sprite fix loaded first in every single Doom 1/2 mod, so I tend to forget its there. I see that since then, youve made a GZDoom version :p Might have to switch to that, ive totally stopped using other ports by now anyway.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Devalaous wrote:
Nash wrote:Sounds like you have a mod loaded that overwrites the graphics - for example the sprite fix project.
Sorry for taking forever to respond, but yeah, that was exactly the issue. I have the sprite fix loaded first in every single Doom 1/2 mod, so I tend to forget its there. I see that since then, youve made a GZDoom version :p Might have to switch to that, ive totally stopped using other ports by now anyway.
Yeah, GZSprFix specifically incorporates both Revenant100's fixes for the middle portion, and the extended sides of WidePix. The graphics fit together perfectly!
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

One small thing: The included statusbar for Heretic (BARBACK) has a dimension of 402x42. Like that, it's leaving some gaps on both sides in ports like Crispy Doom or International Doom. 12 pixels on each side would have to be added (426x42).
I dunno if the width was chosen deliberately the way it was, just thought I mention it here.
Nash

Post by Nash »

NightFright wrote:One small thing: The included statusbar for Heretic (BARBACK) has a dimension of 402x42. Like that, it's leaving some gaps on both sides in ports like Crispy Doom or International Doom. 12 pixels on each side would have to be added (426x42).
I dunno if the width was chosen deliberately the way it was, just thought I mention it here.
Huh, interesting. I'll see what I can do about that. 24 extra pixels of new artwork shouldn't be too hard to add... :mrgreen:
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

It would also be a matter of consistency, I guess. The Doom STBAR in the Unity port and your Hexen bar are both also 426px wide.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

@Nash:

Any word on the one missing Hacx sprite I reported on Github?
Nash

Post by Nash »

I just read and responded to the ticket (in short, ok, will create the missing sprite as soon as I can) - for some reason, I am not receiving notifications for my own repositories. o_O
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I see that Heretic's E2END is still in PNG format. That's a tricky one since it uses the custom palette E2PAL. The author of the International Doom port managed to convert it properly so it also works in ports that won't support PNG replacements. I have attached it for your convenience.
Attachments
e2end_palfix.wad
(116.52 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Nash

Post by Nash »

That one is a special case - it's not that I wasn't able to convert it to the correct palette (that's actually easy to do) - it's that GZDoom doesn't use the palette and Graf specifically instructed me to leave that as a PNG format, as the pack was intentionally made for GZDoom.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Ah, I see. Well, for other ports it's better if one does that conversion. Since I am using International/Crispy Doom, I'll keep a converted version ready for my personal usage if needed. Anyway, thanks for the clarification!

*EDIT*
After checking, I found that the base for the HELP screen replacements are using the flawed originals instead of the fixed ones from the Sprite Fixing Project. See attachment for the merged assets.
The changes might not be so visible in HELP1/HELP2, but in Doom 2's HELP, there's a typo with "Quicksave" ("Ouicksave").
Attachments
helpscreens_fixed.zip
Fixed HELP1, HELP2, HELP screens
(103.29 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
SiFi270

Re: [WIP] WidePix: 16:9/21:9 Graphics Replacement Project

Post by SiFi270 »

Scuba Steve wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:24 am Enjoy.
Edit: Oh, right, It's not a big deal, but I didn't adhere to Nash's project goal of unaltered original 4:3 images for this fan-made episode interpic. I figured since it's already unofficial, it doesn't really matter.
Was anything more done with this? I tried importing it into Slade and loading the resulting wad after the original thyinterpic.wad, but the smoke in the upper right doesn't look right due to the changes mentioned in the quote.
Bent Circus

Post by Bent Circus »

Has anyone taken a stab at upscaling these assets? I saw scuba steve mention doing so on one of the earlier pages but when I search all I'm able to find are projects for either widescreen or upscaling, not both.
Last edited by Bent Circus on Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Bent Circus wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:56 pm Has anyone taken a stab at upscaling these assets? I saw scuba steve mention doing do so on one of the pages but when I search all I'm able to find are projects for either widescreen or upscaling, not both.
+1
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

It's not an official release or anything, but I was working on a personal "HD Remaster" which was an cleaned-up amalgam of all the best high-quality assets available. It has upscaled and high resolution images for all the full-screen art. I don't think it's compatible with widepix however.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”