screenshoots, incidental and less than ideal, but if there is a point to get across they should probably suffice.
videos: I don't have the best habits for capturing or editing video, and the sights are very rarely of finalized material so it doesn't often strike me as a good use of time. consequently there is not much to look at here
- there will be at least ten levels, all original, even if they are crammed with ideas stolen from other ones.
- numerous new monsters, with generally more than one way of attacking, being attacked and flopping over. Some may wear different types of hats as situations require it.
- all graphics will be high resolution, and none will be derived from other people's artwork. ones that still are won't be later!
- more will be drawn from 5. 8, or 16 angles than may seem advisable, including some "death" sequences.
- It may be more like an eccentric, debatably tolerable art exhibit than a proper game; I am not good at first-person shooting games that came out after Hexen, so I doubt in the end the difficulty will be very great.
- I put "death" in quotation marks as there shall be no blood shed by in-game characters, or not much, though other stuff may come out of them. I am not personally averse to blood, but I don't think "serious" doom people will like this anyway and I can reach more people outside that group if I avoid attempting to depict conventionally violent injuries.
-numerous unusual sound and voice effects that I will attempt to keep from being an annoying nuisance
(my microphone stopped working back in october, and I ordered a replacement, and have yet to remove it from its box. Which is a bit frustrating since I could have gotten a better deal had I waited for "black friday" or whatever it is. But I intend to create yet more sound effects.)
longwinded project backstory
it is a very old concoction, because my goals kept changing and the zdoom restrictions kept changing in my early period working on it, while new options have continued coming. At least now i feel like I have the power to finish, if not necessarily the time. and in any event I suspect I have irritated some people who monitor the sprite carnival topic through my evidently unconventional approach! I presume it is permissible to unload those here in the future.
my goal is little more than to tell a silly story about colorful imps in a hopefully better than marginally interactive way. I may not have chosen the best way to do that, but as indicated my goals have transformed substantially since the beginning. The only thing that doesn't change is my desire to do it. I know that much, after dumping it as a dead project between 2007, when the latest zdoom seemed to be wholly incompatible with what I had made, and 2015 when I decided to check on it again and was able to overcome, in a way that I no longer remember, the barrier which I had struck .
At present nothing is playable because I think out of order and solve problems even further out of order. I can however supply the input wads, pk3s and launching .bat files to anyone who wants to be very confused.
I have spent an irresponsible amount of the past year creating redesigned, higher resolution sprites for monsters that I originally drew in 2003 and 2004. That has revealed itself to be a substantial task and with it done (it isn't) other tasks should proceed more smoothly.
Indeed I don't know WHO a potential "audience" for this would be. My 7-year old niece likes it. She also likes hideous cartoons like peppa pig and plenty of outwardly moronic ones I need not name. I don't compare myself to them but the point is I don't know what to compare this against or who to expect to enjoy this. But a few people besides me do. Or think they do.
areas of particular vexation:
1 I can't really "finish" any levels because so many things that I want to put in them are not ready.
2 I am terrible at writing code for level events and "cut scenes" but I can adapt existing code, provided I can attain a rudimentary understanding of it.
3 i imagine that i would like to add a few 3d models for some more complex decorations, but yet lack any expectation of learning to create them, but that is not a priority!
please let me know if you would like to help with something, but I think I can handle it. eventually!
there probably won't be a playable release any time soon. but very occasionally somebody of internet who knows this THING exists asks me what is going on with it, so I ought to make a static web page for it somewhere, and for the time being the [g]zdoom forum system seems like a logical location. I expect some entity will let me know if it believes that not to be the case.