[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
CherubCorps

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by CherubCorps »

Lich fireball (Modded version of a standard fireball)
Lich-fireball.gif
Lich-fireball.gif (8.04 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
Lich fireball big.png
ShallowB

Post by ShallowB »

Enjay wrote:the body could do with a slight scale-up. however, I realise tht would make the whole process a much bigger job.
Oh boy do I wish I had seen this earlier. The funny thing is I've been steadily shrinking his head as I go, and it still seems a bit bobbly.

Increasing the body size is definitely the way to go, but unfortunately I ended up hype-focusing and more or less finished the sheet already. Might be worth it to take a little extra time to buff up the imp a little though, especially if I want to add an arm cannon variant...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I absolutely understand how much of an extra pain having to do the body too would be but the more I think about it, the more I feel it would be worthwhile. At present your sprite is still very much an imp-class looking creature (and there are loads of them out there). Making it a bit bigger would move it into a relatively unoccupied niche - a lesser Baron/Hell Knight kind of size. I can only think of one or two monsters in that size category. Therefore, not only would your sprite be better looking, it would have more potential use because it would fill a slot that currently doesn't have much in it.

Of course, if you don't want to do it, that's a fair decision too. We're all meant to be doing this for fun.
The Philosopher
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by The Philosopher »

What about using the Satyr body as a base for the box art demon?, that could solve the problem of the size i think
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I was definitely thinking the satyr might be a possibility. Size-wise it feels about right. However, although we don't get to see the legs of the box art guys, the lower half of the satyr feels wrong to me for this enemy. i.e. I don't think satyr-style legs would suit.
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

Hehe he ha
(Credits: Neoworm for the extended Shotgun sprite)
NeowormstyledBetaSSGExtension.png
NeowormstyledBetaSSGExtension.png (15.52 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
ShallowB

Post by ShallowB »

I should have taken a break. The Satyr is actually a great idea, as one of the cover demons is leaping through the air and has some weird hoof feet. Alas, I had already gone through and resized the imp body up 10%, and that seems to have done the trick. I don't think I have the energy to redo them yet again, but I really do appreciate the feedback!

I was intending to use them as Pinky-equivalents to replace the Spectres in that Baron boss fight at the end of E1, but I think you're right that others might get more use out of them if they are more like mini-Knights.

In any case, here's the sheet:

Credit to TotalTS for the A1 frame that got me inspired and Don Ivan Punchatz for the original Doom cover art.

Here's also the WIP sheet with the Imp-sized demons and a bunch of sketches and references if anyone wants to make some edits:
Spoiler:
Aaaaand while I'm here I might as well dump that Mecha Zombie. I never did polish up the death animation, I would recommend either spawning a small explosion when he dies, or editing in some kind of blood splash.
Spoiler:
And some frames to turn OSJCLatchford's Possessed enemies into the Hell Zombies from Doom Eternal. To be used in combination with his sprites for the rest of the frames.
Spoiler:
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

ImageImage
True, I could post those here too...
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Really appreciate the hand frame that looks like it's holding the shotgun the right way.
Too often have I seen this bit used instead and it always makes me feel like Doomguy's holding the back of the gun over his whole palm.

neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Yeah, it bothered me for a long time, I finally forced myself to actually draw the frame. And I hate drawing DooMguy gloves, I have no problem with hands for Heretic, but DooMguy gloves never feels right to me no matter how hard I try. Now only to make some smooth animations using those. Especially the Double barrel shotguy since I added the latch and other details that are not on the shotgun originally.
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

@ShallowB Personally, I’d use them sort of like an intermediate between Imps and Hellknights, with the attack patterns of Heretic’s Undead Warriors. They’d throw green mini-baron balls that do slightly less damage than Imp fireballs, but occasionally have a chance to throw red ones that do bullshit high random Doom engine damage (random(1,8)*7)
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Finally managed to sit down and smash out extra guy for my modern goons stuff other day

SSG goon guy
credits- skulltag, ThrashFanBert94, ItsNatureToDie, Enjay

will stick it in the goons pack soon with code but for now its free for anyone to take and use. In doom palate and able to use color transitions
includes clean death and slightly less over the top death.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

ShallowB wrote:I should have taken a break. The Satyr is actually a great idea, as one of the cover demons is leaping through the air and has some weird hoof feet. Alas, I had already gone through and resized the imp body up 10%, and that seems to have done the trick. I don't think I have the energy to redo them yet again, but I really do appreciate the feedback!
Well, whadayaknow, they do have satyr-like legs.

No matter, I think your sprite looks fantastic. Very nice job.
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

ShallowB wrote:
I was intending to use them as Pinky-equivalents to replace the Spectres in that Baron boss fight at the end of E1
I would love to see these used just as Spectre replacements in general (also very much like the mini-Knight idea, makes me think Alpha Imp)
They look solid enough to justify the Pinkys health and imposing enough to make you anxious when they get up in your space.

Honestly never really been happy that the Spectre is just a invisible pinky, if you still want them to suprise you just don't give them a see sound.
ThrashfanBert1994

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:Finally managed to sit down and smash out extra guy for my modern goons stuff other day

SSG goon guy
credits- skulltag, ThrashFanBert94, ItsNatureToDie, Enjay

will stick it in the goons pack soon with code but for now its free for anyone to take and use. In doom palate and able to use color transitions
includes clean death and slightly less over the top death.
thank you, its been an honor

Return to “General”