[0.3] MOShuffle - Randomize the map order!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: [0.3] MOShuffle - Randomize the map order!

Post by Cutmanmike »

Ltmajordude wrote:32 levels (Respect map numbers): Unfortunately skips the Doom 1 maps since they're in the E#M# format, not in the MAP## format
Whoops, I knew I forgot something. Will have to add that in later.
Ltmajordude
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ltmajordude »

Cutmanmike wrote:
Ltmajordude wrote:32 levels (Respect map numbers): Unfortunately skips the Doom 1 maps since they're in the E#M# format, not in the MAP## format
Whoops, I knew I forgot something. Will have to add that in later.
Thank you very much~
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Finally got around to starting a run with this using Heretic and the Heretic Treasure Chest mapset. Unfortunately, I got bad luck and my first map was E2M9. Still fun, though!

When I played this a bit with Doom/Compendium, it seemed great as well and actually got me to see some maps I may not have otherwise seen normally, as there are so many mapsets to choose from in Compendium, which I hardly play as it is.

However, I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to set the maximum number of maps to play through as a future option? According to another comment, the "Shuffle All Maps" option seems to have the user play through the entire mapset in Compendium. I was also under the impression that it would only limit it to 32 maps. Said option would allow the player to enter in their own number of maps to play through. But again, I wouldn't know if such a thing is possible since my ZScript knowledge is rather limited compared to others.

2. Is it theoretically possible to load up Compendium as well as an additional mapset not included within Compendium (such as Scythe 2 or Alien Vendetta) in order for them to be added into the random map pool?
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Mor'Ladim wrote:1. Is it possible to set the maximum number of maps to play through as a future option? According to another comment, the "Shuffle All Maps" option seems to have the user play through the entire mapset in Compendium. I was also under the impression that it would only limit it to 32 maps. Said option would allow the player to enter in their own number of maps to play through. But again, I wouldn't know if such a thing is possible since my ZScript knowledge is rather limited compared to others.
Shuffle All Maps lets you play through as many maps as there are in the megawad i.e more than 32. If you're running a wad that has a bunch of mapsets (such as compendium) it will go through all the ones that are set to Enabled in the options.
Mor'Ladim wrote:2. Is it theoretically possible to load up Compendium as well as an additional mapset not included within Compendium (such as Scythe 2 or Alien Vendetta) in order for them to be added into the random map pool?
Yes, but not both at the same time. They would replace the Doom2 set i.e map01 - map32 (which can be enabled/disabled in the options).

It would be great to be able to merge megawads easily but unfortunately due to the way textures and other resources don't immediately work together when loading megawads, they need a specialized pack like Compendium or Lexicon that has already gone through the trouble of correcting texture names and renaming maps etc. If we could get a tool that converts megawads into unique map names and converts custom textures into new ones and reapplies them to the maps etc we could have a great thing going. Unfortunately I don't have the know how to go about doing that. I think we have a tool that converts wads into folders, which is a great start, but the texture names etc is the big issue.
Johnny_Joe

Post by Johnny_Joe »

Hello, I registered because I'm having a blast with this mod & just realized that NeoDoom was missing from the Compendium mapset switches. I was wondering if it was just an omission or if it was because of some technical issues.
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Post by ToxicFrog »

I was enjoying this but also having some issues with it, so I went ahead and made a modified version. I called it "0.3tf1" so that if Cutmanmike returns to it there's no confusion about which one is the real 0.4.

Changes:
- Support for Twilight Zone 2 and NeoDoom: Vaccinated Edition (both in Compendium) has been added
- Support for eXmY-style (Doom 1/Heretic/Sigil) maps in "32 levels" mode
- Support for multiple gigawads at once; you can now load and shuffle Compendium, Lexicon, WadSmoosh, and/or Consolation Prize all at the same time.
- In "32 levels (respect map numbers)" mode, no attempt is made to match map numbers for secret levels
- "Scan for MAPINFO lumps and load their contents" is now a mode you have to explicitly ask for rather than an automatic fallback

Loading multiple gigawads seems to work fine; there's some minor glitches with the Lexicon level info overlay but apart from that, no issues. I've been playing with Wadsmoosh, Compendium, and Lexicon, and then loading Doom The Way We Remember It and Doom 2 The Way We Remember It after those so that if MOShuffle deals me one of the doom 1/2 levels it's a bit fresh.
Attachments
Map Order Shuffle 0.3tf1.pk3
(10.99 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
NamelessGuy
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NamelessGuy »

When I saw the name of this mod I immediately thought "wow, this would fit well with corruption cards mod" and then I saw who the author is :lol: .
And then on my first try this mod decided to teleport me straight to Icon of Sin. Hilarious
SaucepanSF

Post by SaucepanSF »

ToxicFrog wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:29 am I was enjoying this but also having some issues with it, so I went ahead and made a modified version. I called it "0.3tf1" so that if Cutmanmike returns to it there's no confusion about which one is the real 0.4.

Changes:
- Support for Twilight Zone 2 and NeoDoom: Vaccinated Edition (both in Compendium) has been added
- Support for eXmY-style (Doom 1/Heretic/Sigil) maps in "32 levels" mode
- Support for multiple gigawads at once; you can now load and shuffle Compendium, Lexicon, WadSmoosh, and/or Consolation Prize all at the same time.
- In "32 levels (respect map numbers)" mode, no attempt is made to match map numbers for secret levels
- "Scan for MAPINFO lumps and load their contents" is now a mode you have to explicitly ask for rather than an automatic fallback

Loading multiple gigawads seems to work fine; there's some minor glitches with the Lexicon level info overlay but apart from that, no issues. I've been playing with Wadsmoosh, Compendium, and Lexicon, and then loading Doom The Way We Remember It and Doom 2 The Way We Remember It after those so that if MOShuffle deals me one of the doom 1/2 levels it's a bit fresh.
How are you getting all of the Sentinel's Lexicon maps to get shuffled? Using listmaps, all I can see is that single hub map for it.

Note: I'm using your default settings, and my load order has Wadsmoosh (works fine), Compendium (works fine), and then finally Lexicon (just the hub).
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Post by ToxicFrog »

My load order is:
- doom_complete.pk3
- compendium-1a.pk3
- lexicon-133b.pk3
- moshuffle-0.3tf1.pk3

and it seems to work fine; listmaps shows maps from all three sources, and adding/fixing some debug logging in moshuffle shows it loading 956 maps from compendium, 1518 from lexicon, and 77 from wadsmoosh.

You'll need to turn off "autoload MAPINFO/ZMAPINFO" for it to work with lexicon/compendium, but even then the maps should show up in listmaps, they just won't be shuffled right. I don't think I changed any other settings.

I assume that Lexicon works fine for you when you load it without Compendium, and it's only when they're both loaded that it goes wrong?
SaucepanSF

Post by SaucepanSF »

Issue fixed. It was on my end.

I went back to the Lexicon thread, downloaded latest build (700mb range). The version I had was under 100mb. So, I probably had a bad or incomplete version.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'm a fan btw. Indestructable has a permanent slot in my modlist.
Shatter-Thought[V-4]
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Shatter-Thought[V-4] »

I look forward to trying this with the sterile Ashes maps. I'll let you know if there are any major problems.
Sower

Post by Sower »

I love this mod! Been using it to explore a lot of Compendium maps with Corruption Cards and the Midi FloppyDisk music randomizer.

I made some updates to make things a bit snappier between starting new games, built off of ToxicFrog's 0.3tf1 update.

When starting a new game, no more
-chapter selection (not needed)
-loading a full map before loading a random one (quick loading black screen now)
-tally screen (only removed the one that would show at the very start of a new game)
-intermission screen

Please let me know if you have any questions or change requests!
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

I just recently realized now that Wadsmoosh supports SIGIL II, I'm not sure it works with this mod anymore. Has anyone tested that? Would be a shame tbh.
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

mamaluigisbagel wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:16 am I just recently realized now that Wadsmoosh supports SIGIL II, I'm not sure it works with this mod anymore. Has anyone tested that? Would be a shame tbh.
Won't work as is, but it's fairly trivial to add support for it. I have my own version of MOShuffle I modified to add more mapsets. I may put together a lump based addon to this to make it quick and easy to add support for things that don't need to be hardcoded into the mod.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Yeah I didn't think it'd work, though you could just make a separate Doom Complete wad for now that doesn't include SIGIL II if you want to use this mod.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”