How to load mods in raze?

Casualfan

How to load mods in raze?

Post by Casualfan »

I couldn't find a specific topic on loading mods, so I was wondering if anyone had any step-by-step instructions. Sorry if this is a topic somewhere else, but I couldn't find one during my initial search.
Thanks!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: How to load mods in raze?

Post by Graf Zahl »

For all games aside from Duke, drag'n drop the mod should work.
Duke is tricky because you'll have to specify a "-con ..." option which the engine cannot automatically find out.
Generally from the command line: raze -file modfilename.
Blackgrowl
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Blackgrowl »

"Duke is tricky because you'll have to specify a "-con ..." option which the engine cannot automatically find out."

Hold on, does that mean that loading Duke mods is now possible with Raze but requires some extra steps?
So would it be like..."raze -file modfilename -con filename"?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Playing Duke mods has been possible in Raze since the beginning?

However, one thing to keep in mind is that there's Duke mods and Duke mods. Just like in Doom if you try to play a GZDoom mod in PrBoom it's not going to work, if you try to play an EDuke32 mod in Raze it's not going to work either. But anything that targets vanilla Duke 3D should work just fine; it's only if there are EDuke32-specific features that are used that the mod will glitch. Here's an example.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The main problem with Duke mods is that there is no way to automatically load the right .con file. This means that you'll have to use the command line for most mods, even those that
Gez

Post by Gez »

I haven't tried a lot of Duke mods yet, but those that I did I packaged them as a zip file and make sure their main .con file was named, in the zip, game.con. That way it worked without having to issue any command line parameter, just dragging-and-dropping the packaged zip on Raze.exe and done!
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Correct. But due to the DOS EXE's insistence on extracting all CON files when they were not present this was not possible with it - the loose files always took precedence. If you repackage them to load as-is, it'll be a lot easier - but that's not really something an average user would do.

Return to “General”