FXAA will not activate on AMD GPU's

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

FXAA will not activate on AMD GPU's

Post by Guest »

Hello GZDoom team.

This is a bug report regarding the FXAA not activating on any setting from low to extreme on AMD Laptop/Desktop GPU's. I could not verify this so I had to sharescreens to see what was the issue. So basically on the newer versions of GZDoom, I verified this myself with the sharescreens and I can see that FXAA makes zero difference ingame in the background of the menu.

Also I don't think Multisamples AA works either, I could not see a difference, a few of my friends with AMD GPU's stated that the newer versions of GZDoom don't look right, they have 32X Multisamples and Extreme FXAA.

Steps to reproduce.

1. Load up standard Doom 1 - GZDoom - With any AMD Laptop/Desktop GPU.

2. Map1 stand there, go straight to the menu and activate FXAA, you can verify by checking the menu background, you should be able to see the AA activate but nothing changes.

Also told them to try the beta version of Gzdoom but the AA is still broken.

Hopefully that should be enough information for you to test. Cheers.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: FXAA will not activate on AMD GPU's

Post by drfrag »

For me it works on an AMD R2, looks like a technical issue.
The effect is subtle though, i can see it on the corridor at the start of MAP01.

Post by Guest »

Hello DrFrag and cheers for the reply.

So I contacted the AMD guys to get the GPU versions, one is R9 and the other is R7 both in the same architecture around 2016.

I hope they didn't delete the previous version of GZDoom, they could revert back and compare the FXAA implementation.

Allow me to check this out further because on the sharescreens I could not see any difference from FXAA-None to FXAA-Extreme, I could see every pixel onscreen.

I also tested this myself on an old laptop with a Nvidia GPU and the FXAA I can see the changes through None to Extreme. Tested with the 4.7 and a few of GZDoom beta versions, they all seem to work on Nvidia but not AMD it seems.

Cheers.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

No, we don't delete old versions - if anyone needs access to older versions of GZDoom we keep an archive: https://zdoom.org/files/gzdoom/bin

That is open to anyone - including GPU driver devs. The shaders are open source, especially right in the included gzdoom.pk3 archive - but - if they need even more open source they can have a looksee right at the repo: https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

To me it looks like a driver problem, for me FXAA works both in OpenGL and Vukan. I'm using an old AMD driver though. About old versions in LZDoom it works the same i don't see any difference but the effect is subtle like i said even on the extreme setting.

Post by Guest »

Cheers for the reply DrFrag.

Can I ask what driver version you are using because apparently the recent version of the R7-9 driver is at the end of 2021.

The old laptop I tested this on is from 2007 its really old and hasn't had a driver update for more than 10 years dusted off and still all AA settings work correctly, subtle difference as you say but can clearly see the AA change in realtime looking at the background while changing FXAA from None to Extreme.

Do you know anyone in the GZDoom community with an AMD R7-9 series GPU? Hopefully should get some more info this weekend.

Has something changed with the FXAA on the recent versions of GZDoom because the AMD guys said it worked on an older version but I need to find out what exact version they used, allow me to get this info. We had to update GZDoom so we could join and play MP.

Cheers.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

My GPU is a Radeon R2 and i'm on driver 20.7.1. For me it works in both GZDoom and LZDoom and LZ is based on GZDoom 3.3.
You could try old GZDoom versions of course.

Post by Guest »

Hello Dr Frag cheers for the update.

So got as much info on this as possible, checked the R7 laptop, this had no AMD control panel which is strange, never seen that before it must be some sort of minimal install. The other R9 had some static noise bug on other games apparently so I just went into rage mode, this tipped me over the edge. After you confirmed that it does work with AMD, I forced the AMD guys to DDU the driver and start from fresh.

After they both used DDU and installed a fresh full install of the AMD GPU driver, guess what, it all works again, so sorry about this Dr Frag. This issue is now solved, anyone who may read this having the same issue, then again use DDU to fully uninstall the driver, restart the unit, install a fresh driver with 'Full' install features.

Thanks Dr Frag and the Gzdoom team for an awesome port!

Return to “Technical Issues”