DoomRLA EXTENDED [1.1c] - Two new classes! More stuff!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Re: CMM DoomRL Classes [0.5] - Nano Maniac and Phase Sisters

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

Hey Mike, after some more playing around on Classes 0.5, I've found that extra modpacks don't confer the Mechanoid bonuses on a VBFG9000 - I guess it's fair to say in general, Advanced assemblies may be affected.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

MsrSgtShooterPerson wrote:Hey Mike, after some more playing around on Classes 0.5, I've found that extra modpacks don't confer the Mechanoid bonuses on a VBFG9000 - I guess it's fair to say in general, Advanced assemblies may be affected.
Thanks for finding this, I've fixed the issue :)

Here's the new version:
  • Fixed more assemblies not working with Mechanoid's passive.
  • Added a new Nano Maniac mugshot (by Craneo) (fixed!)
Download
Last edited by Cutmanmike on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Cutmanmike wrote:
  • Added a new Nano Maniac mugshot (by Craneo)
Uhh the mugface for the nano maniac doesn't appear.
Cutmanmike

Re: CMM DoomRL Classes [0.6a] - Nano Maniac and Phase Sister

Post by Cutmanmike »

Whoops! My compiler didn't pick them up, please redownload to see them.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Finally tried this out for the Mechanoid class, but also just ended up trying Nomad. Mechanoid first, he's surprisingly fun and more for actually giving me reason to use the basic weapons since it's not normal. My main comments are that Sniper may need a cutoff since there are maps with long vertical range, and its damage potential is obscene, especially since I had 3 of them. Nano seems somewhat glitchy, or at least the way DRLA weapons interpret infinite ammo, which possibly also affects the FIREBLU sphere. For single shot weapons it seems to not trigger, except the autoshotty which can keep firing as long as you hold the trigger if the effect procs.

As for Nomad, well, my very first attempt immediately scored a BFG Infinity, but I think that was just my luck since I've seen bugger-all else except more modpacks. Also with Zetashop it automatically sells my inventory at level end without me needing to do it, so that's neat. Finally, apparently demonic items are exempt from the reset, but it would also make sense to exempt the armors that you can't take off, especially the Cybernetic given its description.

EDIT: Also I'd caution against using Nomad class with Adaptive difficulty. By design the class will push the DL, and make some map starts insufferable.
EDIT2: "Autoshotty" (Assault Shotgun) firing infinitely is because the Nano mod effect is periodic over 12 tics, which happens to be the fire rate of the weapon. Maybe use a random value 1-12 instead so that it should still average to the same amount of shots saved but not in a pattern?
EDIT3: The periodicity workd oddly with some other weapons too since quite a few have fire rates that are a factor of 12 so you can either end up missing the regen tic or hitting it more often than you should. Assault shotty is just the extreme of that. Also it's really crazy playing with Zetashop and getting a full set of Nano mods + laser rifle w/ 2 Firestorm, and just melting everything. This class would probably be really ridiculous in multiplayer with either Technician or Nomad.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

I may end up reverting the nano mod mechanics for Mechanoid as I've noticed some other exploits with it too. Also I never considered vertical distance for the Sniper mods, whoops!
Zonky

Re: CMM DoomRLA Classes [0.6a] - Nano Maniac and Phase Siste

Post by Zonky »

So I've been playing with these characters more recently, adds tons of variety with DRLA, CH and corruption cards! But I gotta be real, the phase sisters are really bland. There's not really much of a reason to play as them when you can just play as renegade or marine and carry more, they need something to make them stand out in my opinion.
I have some suggestions to throw out because ideas are fun.

What if each sister is better with different weapons? Say one is good with automatics/shotguns/launchers while the other is good with plasmas/lasers/BFGs? Maybe each sister has their own small bonuses based on the weapons their good with? Nothing as big as the mainline classes, but something small enough to get you out of a pinch.

Instead of swapping one or the other out of existence via teleports and phase devices, say one of the sisters is a companion and can be switched to by interacting with her, kinda like playing one of those lego games by yourself (specific I know but that's all that comes to mind lmao.)

Say if you die as one sister, you swap to the other and then that sister who died is revived in the next level?
That sounds super broken though, maybe have both the sisters take 20% more damage and can only carry 3 guns each? I don't know, just kinda spit balling here.

Still love what you made here and I hope your doing well! I just couldn't resist sharing those ideas for a potential rework.
PatCatz2004

Post by PatCatz2004 »

Wait hold on....the download link hasnt worked for me....

Does anyone have a more open link for me to try?
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Try now, I changed it to a https link which usually fixes it.
CascadeB

Post by CascadeB »

Overall, the extra classes feel fun to use. I came across this mod by chance, and I'm glad I did. The Phase Sisters mix together my two favorite classes, the Nano Maniac with having his weapons rearranged really spices the gameplay between maps, and the Mechanoid (quickly becoming my new favorite class) that allows for limitless ways to play around with ordinarily weaker weapon combinations, instead of just pursuing uniques and advanced/master assemblies. The Nomad is the one that I simply can't find a way to make work... he feels incomplete compared to the other three additions.

I use Colourful Hell and Legendoom Lite in pretty much every WAD playthrough I do, nowadays. I've not come across any problems with any of the other classes in regards to dealing with that monster replacer and monster-buffing combo. The Nomad class, however, feels like it just doesn't have enough to make it consistently playable, when RNG is a make-or-break factor with the playability of a level. The sole reliance on RNG feels like a detriment to the class, overall. Perhaps, though, that was the intention of the class, which renders my complaints moot.

I have a few simple ideas regarding how to maybe add some stability to playing that class:

---Allow the player to carry over one weapon and/or worn armor from the previous level, still emptying out the inventory, sans maybe
one demon rune. In my mind, a Nomad doesn't just throw away everything they find and move on, they're going to keep at least one useful
item as they travel through a demon-infested world.

---Like the essentially every other class, have some sort of starting weapon that isn't the pistol. That's only good as a starting weapon in the
hands of the Scout, and is pretty much an aesthetic weapon with no use to any other class, in its base variant.

---Have a boon that isn't only circumstantially helpful. Something like increasing the chance of modpacks replacing ammo pickups even moreso, or
altering the RNG of assembly spawns (I don't know how difficult that would be to implement, they are simply examples). The class needs a leg
to stand on with those two massive drawbacks, and having only the potential to find good items, in my experience so far, is not a meaningful
counter-weight.

I really, really want to like the Nomad, because I think the idea behind it is really cool! It just needs tweaking to make it feel on par with the rest of the available classes, in my opinion.

Mayhap you'll consider my ideas, maybe not. Either way, this mod is great, and the additions keep my replays with DRLA feeling fresh. I salute your creativity with it, and look forward to seeing whatever may come next!
fakemai

Post by fakemai »

CascadeB wrote:I really, really want to like the Nomad, because I think the idea behind it is really cool! It just needs tweaking to make it feel on par with the rest of the available classes, in my opinion.
If a map isn't designed to be beaten from pistol start, which was considered for all the official IWADs but not all third-party ones, and certainly not if you're at the mercy of Colourful Hell, then it's going to be miserable. It'll also be miserable if you don't know what assemblies exist. However the whole point is that each map is treated as if you -warp'd into it and that you can't just acquire that one broken weapon and power through the remainder. Instead you get to play with lots of different and hopefully broken stuff, at least after a few maps. To that you also might want to speedrun the first few. That change in play style from Nomad and Mechanoid is partly why I like this addon so much. For reference I normally switch LegenDoom Lite off for that class.
KrushakArrankiss

Post by KrushakArrankiss »

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
Using program directory for storage
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
adding C:/Users/runea/Desktop/GZDOOM NEWEST/gzdoom.pk3, 666 lumps
adding C:/Users/runea/Desktop/GZDOOM NEWEST/game_support.pk3, 2514 lumps
adding C:/Users/runea/Desktop/GZDOOM NEWEST/doom2.wad, 2919 lumps
adding C:/Users/runea/Desktop/GZDOOM NEWEST/game_widescreen_gfx.pk3, 216 lumps
adding C:/Users/runea/Desktop/ZDL/Doom Roguelike/DoomRL_CMMClasses_0.6a.pk3, 976 lumps
adding C:/Users/runea/Desktop/ZDL/Doom Roguelike/TopHPBars.pk3, 52 lumps
adding C:/Users/runea/Desktop/ZDL/Doom Roguelike/DoomRL_Monsters_Beta_7.3.pk3, 7246 lumps
adding C:/Users/runea/Desktop/ZDL/Doom Roguelike/DoomRL_Arsenal_1.1.5.pk3, 9471 lumps
adding C:/Users/runea/Desktop/ZDL/Doom Roguelike/damnums_1.0.2.pk3, 166 lumps
adding C:/Users/runea/Desktop/ZDL/Doom Roguelike/CorruptionCards-v3.2.pk3, 1088 lumps
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
CPU speed: 3593 MHz
CPU Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD
Name: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
Family 23 (23), Model 113, Stepping 0
Features: SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 AVX AVX2 F16C FMA3 BMI1 BMI2 HyperThreading
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
I_InitSound: Initializing OpenAL
Opened device OpenAL Soft on Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)
EFX enabled
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
Checking cmd-line parameters...
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Script error, "DoomRL_CMMClasses_0.6a.pk3:actors/classes/mechanoid.txt" line 3:
Parent type 'DoomRLPlayer' not found in DoomRLMechanoid
Script error, "DoomRL_CMMClasses_0.6a.pk3:actors/classes/mechanoid.txt" line 5:
'player.displayname' requires an actor of type 'PlayerPawn'

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "DoomRL_CMMClasses_0.6a.pk3:actors/classes/mechanoid.txt" line 5:
Unexpected 'Mechanoid' in definition of 'DoomRLMechanoid'

I got this error, I am using the newest GZDoom and using ZDL to try to launch some mods I saw from turning DOOM into a rogue like. This video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2QuFcck48U

Using this ZDL I found on ZDOOM

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=72099

Do I have the wrong load order or what? Cause I am curious to what happened.
fakemai

Post by fakemai »

Almost certainly load order. At the very least do DRLA, then CMM classes, then the monsters.
KrushakArrankiss

Post by KrushakArrankiss »

fakemai wrote:Almost certainly load order. At the very least do DRLA, then CMM classes, then the monsters.
Thank you, it was DRLA first. I'm kinda new to this and I saw the youtube video and I was like what? There is more than just using rando wads and having fun you can COMBINE THEM? lol
Rinpoo
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Rinpoo »

I was bored so I made up a class. Do not know what can be done in modding, but hopefully you find it inspirational at the very least.

Character Class: Android.

Name: UAC-S.E.R.I.-0268. Synthetic. Emergency. Response. Infantry.

Look: Female android silver/white. (There are many ways to get a feminine computer voice, so that part is easy.)

Backstory: S.E.R.I. was part of a line of experimental and lethal United Aerospace Corporation androids that only had a mere 300 models made before their astronomical cost caused a cease in production. Up until the last few years they saw little use to justify their cost, and mostly were just paraded around so that generals, scientists, and CEOs could pat themselves on the back for their brilliance.

Eventually, when the tides of hell poured forth onto Mars, the synthetic emergency response infantry was activated in hopes that their superior combat prowess could single-handedly put a stop to the legions of the damned. Unfortunately, despite their longevity, and effectiveness against the demon scum, they began to fall against the overwhelming onslaught.

With no higher-ups left to give orders, the remaining 12 androids went into their default mode to protect system functions and await further orders. S.E.R.I., model number 0268 was intent on doing that, until she came across a wounded soldier whose tag identified her as Rebecca Marks.

The dying soldier was bleeding profusely and crawling towards an unidentifiable, blue, glowing sphere. Though S.E.R.I.’s protocol was to abandon her and protect itself, it instead decided to lift the soldier and walk towards the sphere, valuing the humans desire over its base instructions.

With blood running down its metal body, it walked towards the light, and upon standing before it, it was clear that the soldier in her arms had passed. A flash of Rebecca’s face appeared in the sphere, and with purile curiosity the advanced A.I. dropped the corpse, and touched the sphere.

Instantaneously, its soulless shell was filled, and its body collapsed onto the blood-soaked floor. When the machine raised to its feet after the intense shock, it looked at its own hands, then at the corpse it used to call home. It’s mind full of confusion at first, and then a sadistic smile crept across her synthetic lips.

A second chance was all she needed, and Rebecca, through the grace of a soulless machine, was reborn as “Seri.”

Perk: Ascended. – Seri has ascended beyond others and is far more durable than all organic UAC personnel, as well as other androids or cyborgs. She was created using an unidentified synthetic metal that boasts great resistance, and allows her to take intense punishment before going down. Equipped with various technological advantages, she has the edge as an efficient killing machine.

Benefit Ideas.
Base resistance of 20% ~ 50% against bullets/melee.
Has toggleable night vision, or permanent night vision.
Has max health of 400 ~ 800.
Always has berserker kit, since it’s a robot.
Always has the enemy/item tracker for the map.

Drawback Ideas.
-20% ~ -50% weakness to plasma attacks. (Like most DRL machine enemies.)
Cannot pick up health packs/use them for hp.
Can only restore some hp with spheres or “cell” ammo.
Has a slower walk/run rate and lower jump height.
Is noisy, alerts enemies in the vicinity by walking.

My view on the point of the character: Basically, has many powerful advantages in combat and is durable across multiple levels, but carelessness and inability to heal itself nearly as effectively as everyone else will render it compromised unless sacrifices are made. (I imagine spheres adding half their hp value to Android hp, cell you get 1/2 or 1/4 the ammo pickup value. EG 100 power cell is 100 ammo or 50 or 25 hp to your total.)

The biggest drawback is sacrificing arguably the most precious ammo in the game for desperate hp. The ammo is also fairly scarce, much like the soul/mega spheres which only heal half of their normal amount. (I imagine it is like the DRL backpack and you either choose to get the ammo or the health on pickup.)

I write and create characters as a hobby, so if you want to inform me what is possible in modding, I can rethink this as well if you like it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”