ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
666PhantomOfDeath666

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by 666PhantomOfDeath666 »

i want to make a mock 3 but idk how to make maps that are terrible enough does some one have any extremely terrible ideas but also dont give unplayable ideas some of my own ideas are misaligning textures and putting invisible crushers every where or some thin xd
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

666PhantomOfDeath666 wrote:i want to make a mock 3 but idk how to make maps that are terrible enough does some one have any extremely terrible ideas but also dont give unplayable ideas some of my own ideas are misaligning textures and putting invisible crushers every where or some thin xd
Work on making good maps first. Only then will you understand the ways in which a map can be truly, truly terrible.
666PhantomOfDeath666

Post by 666PhantomOfDeath666 »

ok i wish there was a way to know if my unironic maps are considered good or not
determin1st

Post by determin1st »

bullet ricochet and penetration sketch :mrgreen:
Attachments
photo_2021-11-23_17-05-52.jpg
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

determin1st wrote:bullet ricochet and penetration sketch :mrgreen:
Just remember that a lot of bullets will act more like pee on the wall of a urinal than pool balls on the sides of the table...
determin1st

Post by determin1st »

Matt wrote:
determin1st wrote:bullet ricochet and penetration sketch :mrgreen:
Just remember that a lot of bullets will act more like pee on the wall of a urinal than pool balls on the sides of the table...
i didn't reach to that point yet.. that scheme's only for determining alpha angle, here's another one i sketched, so it would be less than ideal bounce.. penetration may be involved in that, don't know exactly how yet, using some experimental data.. alpha angle is never greater than 165 degrees in my doom, maybe it's because arccos(x) doesn't produce precise result..
Last edited by determin1st on Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Don't know if i ever mentioned this idea outside Discord, but here it goes.

A gameplay mode that works similar to "The Mercenaries" mode in Resident Evil 3 (and other RE games as well, but this is the first named iteration).
Spoiler: Example Video
For those not willing to watch a 17min video, the concept is really simple: you need to travel from point A to point B before a timer on the screen runs out.

Rescuing Hostages and killing enemies or bosses give you more seconds and enemies can be "combo-ed" to give you more time than if you took them out one by one.

Now comes the doomification: i assume that most of those features could be done in a ZScript way that doesn't affect mods, so it would make any mod have a ton of possibilities more.

What it needs to come to fruition:

• A timer on screen: timer reaches zero, player dead. Simple.
• enemies give seconds to player when dead and when two or more are taken simutaneously, an (or some) extra second(s) can be get.
• an option to customize the player's initial timer, since many maps feature long sections without enemies or backtracking, and that would not be fair in some maps;
• Timer gets reset when entering a new map (or not, maybe make an option out of it too).

I know, i know. Easier said than done. I am no programmer for a living, nor i am good at ZScript, but when i said i "assume" it can be done, it's just because some mods alter gameplay based on similar criterias.

Also, this is the mod ideas thread, so i am throwing my ideas.

Have fun.
determin1st

Post by determin1st »

determin1st wrote:i didn't reach to that point yet..
here's the point i reached so far - putting markers
video with markers test
green - stable bullet (pure ricochet)
blue - unstable bullet peice (ricochet or penetration)
violet - bullet scraps (ricochet or penetration)
red - impact point
penetration distance is 5.0 units ~ 15 cm
NathanSilver

Post by NathanSilver »

So like I had an idea in making a megawad/PK3 based off the upcoming Adult Swim series, Pibby, where you play as the main character exploring around maps and
playing like you take Chex Quest and as well other DOOM engine based games and put them all together. The trailer and context is right here for those who are
missing out.

There's also a few concepts and sprites done, however the project never saw the light of day after a few days of trial. I'd love to get some help but I never felt
motivated enough for it. Sprites made for it weren't exactly supposed to match the DOOM artstyle, since it's extremely detailed compared to Chex Quest,
and SRB2. I also had some ideas in mind for other stuff, including enemies being replaced with glitched cartoon characters (e.g. Shaggy Rogers from Scooby-Doo),
as well DOOM weapons being replaced with ones that appeared in the trailer and from other cartoons.

Here's a few pictures.

I also made a artwork based on the original DOOM 1993 box art waaaayyy before this was a thing. And also a different artwork announcing the mod's development.

The artwork parodying the DOOM cover.

Project announcement art based on DOOM II: Hell On Earth's cover.

Again, I would really appreciate help but for now, I'll just let you all know what do you all think of this.
SanyaWaffles
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

That's an awesome idea. I had a similar idea, but my obligations to Project Absentia has made it difficult to dedicate my time to other works, especially with the art. I'm glad someone else wants to try their hand at the concept.

However, if you want to design enemies and weapons that are more than just reskins of Doom's enemies (different attack patterns, whatnot), I can help code those up if you're using GZDoom and don't mind me sticking with ZScript.
NathanSilver

Post by NathanSilver »

SanyaWaffles wrote:That's an awesome idea. I had a similar idea, but my obligations to Project Absentia has made it difficult to dedicate my time to other works, especially with the art. I'm glad someone else wants to try their hand at the concept.

However, if you want to design enemies and weapons that are more than just reskins of Doom's enemies (different attack patterns, whatnot), I can help code those up if you're using GZDoom and don't mind me sticking with ZScript.
Sure thing! I'm always up for it mostly. You can contact me through Discord if that's okay for you.
SanyaWaffles
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

NathanSilver wrote:Sure thing! I'm always up for it mostly. You can contact me through Discord if that's okay for you.
Sure. Looks like you have to add me though, I tried adding you and it didn't work.
Matt
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Unlikely I'll ever figure this one out, but: a mod where your main weapon is a semiauto shotgun that fires as fast as you can click, but it has two modes, a weaker shot with a lighter tap and a stronger shot when you hold the button just a fraction of a second longer. If you shoot to the time of the music, and do the strong shots on the strong beats, the shot becomes more powerful and you gain more points for hits. Monsters only attack on the beat; projectiles missing you narrowly on the beat will recover hitpoints.

inspired by:
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by openroadracer »

So, I recently watched the Mr. Icarus Doom Mod Madness video about Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart, and I got to thinking. See, kart racers really aren't my jam; but I also remembered an old mod posted to these forums where you control a motorcycle, and now it's really got me thinking:

Road Rash in DooM? Jet Moto in DooM? Honestly, either would be awesome in my opinion.
Keldian

Post by Keldian »

Inventory like the one in RE2.
The essence in a nutshell: the player initially has a small number of inventory cells (for example, 3 to 4). In each of them you can stuff either a type of standard ammo (200 bullets, 50 rockets, or shotgun shells or 300 plasma charges), or a weapon, or a medkit / armor.
You can carry several copies of the same weapon (for example - 3 shotguns to disassemble the extra and get more ammo or sell, if possible), but each of them will occupy a separate cell. Same with ammo - the amount of ammo in each slot is limited, but you can accumulate, for example, 150 missiles, which will occupy 3 slots, if there is enough free space in the inventory.
The backpack, instead of directly increasing the amount of carried ammo, adds another row of cells, or several.

Return to “General”