[newrenderer] [dukedc] sky offset

Moderator: Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

[newrenderer] [dukedc] sky offset

Post by Rachael »

The sky offset in the level dukedc8 is wrong in the new renderer

Polymost:

Newrenderer:
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [newrenderer] [dukedc] sky offset

Post by sinisterseed »

Funny, Build sky rendering is a comic tragedy with how badly designed it is.

I think this sky texture is too short too honestly. I can spot the splitting on the right side in the Polymost screen too.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Comic tragedy indeed. The sad thing is there is no realistic way to define this uniformly without some skies not breaking apart. You can see this with the wraparound effects in Blood and World Tour in Polymost and several weird effects with the new renderer. The baseline of these skies is all over the place and can be adjusted with the vertical offset property of the sector - but with the sky domes this is totally hit and miss. Some skies need this with wrapping around, others only work without wrapping around. So we're screwed.
Phredreeke

Post by Phredreeke »

So map specific fixes for skies? There's a couple of skies in Redneck Rampage that are really weird like that too
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I see no other way than to explicitly define the baseline for all known skies - or to provide cubic skybox replacements for all of them. For World Tour I think it makes sense to actually use the provided skyboxes, for example, they generally work a lot better than the parallaxing textures anyway.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I can adjust the Alien World Order extraction script to include the ep.5 skyboxes. No big deal.

One way or the other, I can pull the WT skyboxes for ep.5 via my script and define them via worldorder.def (root dir). You can add that to the internal Raze definitions so it's used automatically. In the worst case, you would still see the parallax skies instead if it doesn't work.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sinisterseed »

Graf Zahl wrote:I see no other way than to explicitly define the baseline for all known skies - or to provide cubic skybox replacements for all of them. For World Tour I think it makes sense to actually use the provided skyboxes, for example, they generally work a lot better than the parallaxing textures anyway.
I'd personally love keeping the dome for the games, it looks amazing in Blood especially.

But if turns into an unmantainable mess, well, I can live with cubic replacements too. Truth be said anything is better than the dumpster fire skies of Polymost, so such a sacrifice would be no sacrifice at all.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Keeping the domes is not the real issue. Once defined for a given texture it should work properly. But take Duke's skies, for example. The city in E1L1 looks like a flat projection and the earth in E2L1 is distorted because the original image cuts off the top and bottom of it. I just thought that if there are some better alternatives, why not support them?
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

This has been patched up just now about as best as it'll look with the new renderer. The original assets for this map just suck so it is what it is, looks pretty good to me though now.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

... and if you look closely, the poor design is even visible in the Polymost screenshot. This was just a very, very poorly done sky.

Return to “Closed Bugs [Raze]”