[v1.7.2] Critical Shots - Headshots, Backstabs and Crits!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mikk-

Re: [v1.7.1] Critical Shots - Headshots, Backstabs and Crits

Post by Mikk- »

Yeah sure, you have my permission.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Deon wrote:Hi Mikk. What's your opinion about including your mod in bigger projects with full credit?

I am doing a hobby cyberpunk-ish project where I have player stats, one of them is luck. I was planning to implement very basic crit system, but yours is just STELLAR so I would like to use this one instead.
Obviously I would have to do some changes because all my monsters are custom-made, and some of them get headshots in inappropriate places, and also I want to tie the crit chance to LUCK stat of the player.

Would it be okay if I bundled it in, with your CREDITS information included?

P.S. If you want to learn more before saying yes/no, there are a bunch of videos on one of my youtube channels, for example
Spoiler:
Like to say looks interesting.

The amount of blood is too much. I like gore. But this looks just like red paint. It takes attention from the dying corpse animation, which is much more captivating to watch. And what will you do if you use explosive? You would obstruct view with red haze?

This could be mildly interesting if the pattern of blood spill was kind of random, but currently the blood splash shape is always similar.

I would rather recommend adding particles of body. F.ex. you do a head shot and small debris of skull are scattering around.
Deon

Post by Deon »

The blood was too much, I agree. It's Mikk's bloodsplat + Nash's Gore. I will probably make a separate death animation for headshots and skip splashes, if MIkk is OKAY with me tweaking the mod as a part of the project. I will definitely tweak the settings later, thank you for theuseful feedback.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Deon wrote:The blood was too much, I agree.
There is something quite amusing in this statement when coupled with your avatar. ;)
Deon

Post by Deon »

I mean, nothing wrong with a lot of gore, but everything should have a balance :D. At the moment I basically hid the lack of headshot animation by blood fountain + blood splat for the sake of the video. Long term it should be a proper headshot sprite combination for human enemies at least.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

yeah the blood splatter headshot fx spawns a lot of blood actors - which can be rather crazy looking if you use something like ketchup or nashgore. tbh I never really liked the implementation of those, they look ok with vanilla blood - they were kinda placeholder-y just for some visual feedback.
Deon

Post by Deon »

Yeah sure, you have my permission.
Oh, I've missed it, thank you so much! This is an amazing gameplay mod.
SaveTheDoomer
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by SaveTheDoomer »

Got this while playing walpurgis on doom2, and a similar one with hexeretic on heretic :?
Attachments
crits.png
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RastaManGames »

I had similar VM abortion while using Walpurgis with Daggerfall enemies... At least, first part kinda same...
Attachments
gzdoom_geAAqpt3jA.jpg
SaveTheDoomer
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by SaveTheDoomer »

Got the same error with walpurgis on heretic. The issue appears to be related to csh_classes/core.txt line 35.
Mikk-

Re: [v1.7.2] Critical Shots - Headshots, Backstabs and Crits

Post by Mikk- »

i have updated critical shots to version 1.7.2, this version fixes the line 35 error. it also adds a new visual effect which can be customised to any colour, I have also added the parrying sound effect from bloodborne.

download link in first post.

enjoy.
flashy99
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: [v1.7.2] Critical Shots - Headshots, Backstabs and Crits!

Post by flashy99 »

I'm trying to create a high-health monster that can only be killed with a headshot. Unfortunately, it seems like the instakill and and damage multipliers max out way below the threshold. Is that correct, or am I doing something wrong?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”