Gzdoom 4.7.1.0 megawad testing bug report

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
Kain D

Gzdoom 4.7.1.0 megawad testing bug report

Post by Kain D »

This was tested with Gzdoom 4.7.1.0 with default compability, but it also happens with Boom(strict) option.

Sign of Torment uses much more Boom features, than other wads and this is the main cause of most of the bugs.

Link: https://www.moddb.com/mods/sign-of-torm ... le-megawad

Projectiles like fireballs and plasma projectiles are not visible in all white areas in Gzdoom.

This is a minor thing. Map 17 has area like that at the beginning. Although you need to idfa to get plasma gun.

White colormap in Ep2 underwater areas doesn't work in Gzdoom (hardware renderer).

It's self-explanatory. Red keycard area in Map 15 (sector with tag 7) uses white colormap and is the closest to the player start.

Some switches(linedef 210) have no sound in Gzdoom.

This is rather a human error, than bug. Basically some sourceports removed sound made by teleport switches. I understand this change,
but the problem is that the change is also carried over to SILENT versions of these switches. Linedefs 210 aren't used in mapping like normal versions.
I also understand, that linedefs 210 are extremely rare. I only know two other wads that have them and this issue also happens there.

I've found use for them and they appear often after Map 15.

I want to make myself clear, I do not talk about linedef 195 (SR Teleport). This problem is about linedef 210 (SR Teleport Silent) only and this is an implementation issue.

Maps 16 and 21 have linedefs 210 right at the beginning. I strongly suggest to launch these maps to understand, what I mean.

100% secrets in Maps 22, 27 are impossible in Gzdoom.

This one is difficult to explain. The two maps use change effect to change non secret sectors to secret ones. It's still impossible to go over 100%, unless with idclip.

In Map 22 linedef with tag 23 causes to teleport SSG and changes sector to secret.

In Map 27 linedef with tag 129 changes sector with tag 130 to secret one. (This one is also closer to the beginning)

Translucent flats don't work properly in Gzdoom (hardware renderer).

There is really nothing to say about it. It's been known for ages. Map 27 uses this in one area (sectors with tags 19).

I grabbed the idea from here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... s-in-boom/
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Gzdoom 4.7.1.0 megawad testing bug report

Post by wildweasel »

You may need to split these reports into separate topics, so that they're easier to track. It'd probably also be appreciated if you could attach saved games with the player positioned near the issue.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

For the additive translucency, wasn't there an option added to disable it for vanilla projects? I never had to use it before, but this would help solve that issue.
The non-functional white colormap and the missing vanilla transparency hack are things the hardware renderer cannot emulate.
The transferring secrets hack is disabled in GZDoom because in all known cases so far it did something wrong. One map in Heretic is particularly badly affected by it. If this is absolutely needed it'd require a compatibility option.
The only potentially fixable issue is probably the switch sound.
Kain D

Post by Kain D »

Thanks for your reply.

Two facts:
I plan to release FINAL version in December, so changes after that will be difficult. This topic is the last obstacle.
It's worth noting that SOT uses MAPINFO, so adding compat parameters is still possible.
Graf Zahl wrote:For the additive translucency, wasn't there an option added to disable it for vanilla projects? I never had to use it before, but this would help solve that issue.
You kinda lost me there. Is there a MAPINFO compat parameter for that? But, you're right. The problem is solved, if Classic Transparency is set to anything else than "Zdoom (Forced)".
I'll include that info in the txt file.
Graf Zahl wrote:The transferring secrets hack is disabled in GZDoom because in all known cases so far it did something wrong. One map in Heretic is particularly badly affected by it. If this is absolutely needed it'd require a compatibility option.
I've thought this through. I think, it's the best to leave that up to you. You clearly have more knowledge about it. Additionally if I put the compat in MAPINFO, it will be difficult to remove it after FINAL version release.
Graf Zahl wrote:The only potentially fixable issue is probably the switch sound.
I have two ideas about it. Of course everything is up to you.

Option 1: Improve the implementation, so Silent Teleport switches are omitted to the change.

Personally I think it is a better solution. This way the change carries over to regular versions and allows linedefs 210 to work properly.
Aditionally it would fix the same issue in the wads I mentioned earlier. It's worth mentioning, that this wad is also a game changer for this feature.
Long story short you can tie them to doors and other switches to create areas impossible to achieve with "WR Silent Teleport".
My point is, it's possible, that linedefs 210 will show up more often in Boom wads.

Option 2: Create a compat parameter for MAPINFO.

This way rather bypass the problem, rather than solve it. It would create a necessity for mappers to create MAPINFO in order to use them.
Also you'll need to include compatibility option for the every wad, released earlier that has them.

Return to “Bugs [GZDoom]”