Iron Assault Remake (Demo Update 2.5)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Wisecrack34

Re: Iron Assault Remake (Demo 1.02)

Post by Wisecrack34 »

Fuck yeah, new demo! Been shilling this out in a few places across the web as it's the most interesting "Mech Game" content available atm from what I've seen.
ReformedJoe

Re: Iron Assault Remake (Demo 1.02)

Post by ReformedJoe »

New demo is available now.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1m3jka6u ... 0.zip/file

Some additional thoughts:
Spoiler:
Cherno

Re: Iron Assault Remake (New Demo!)

Post by Cherno »

The last row looks a bit washed-out, or overvright, save for the last mech.

Maybe I'll try my hand at some ultra-low-res human soldier sprites, they should be about 10 or 12 pixels tallI guess? Squish!

If it isn't already included: This mod's maps (some of them) need Universal Rain & Snow, and also extreme fog!
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Cherno wrote:The last row looks a bit washed-out, or overvright, save for the last mech.

Maybe I'll try my hand at some ultra-low-res human soldier sprites, they should be about 10 or 12 pixels tallI guess? Squish!

If it isn't already included: This mod's maps (some of them) need Universal Rain & Snow, and also extreme fog!
Yeah 10 pixels is approximately right, the scale of the art is inconsistent. Some of the arctic maps do have snow. Rain would be trivial to add with the same methods.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Absolute bangers. Definitely going to check the new demo out!

EDIT: It's been one hella blast. I enjoyed new arctic missions and my teammates' AI was not really so bad! They were smart, although they moved so slow or maybe the map was so large for them.

Anyhoo my only complain would be resupply/repair station has very small health and you can stomp on them by accident before they actually start helping you. Also they have no automap marker so it takes quite a while.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Captain J wrote:...

EDIT: It's been one hella blast. I enjoyed new arctic missions and my teammates' AI was not really so bad! They were smart, although they moved so slow or maybe the map was so large for them.

Anyhoo my only complain would be resupply/repair station has very small health and you can stomp on them by accident before they actually start helping you. Also they have no automap marker so it takes quite a while.
I agree about ally units moving too slowly, will find a way to speed them up outside of combat.

Re the repair/rearm station, I can give them a little more health and a map/radar marker.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Speaking of speed on mech, i honestly think Ant deserves more of speed buff since it cries annoying-fly kind of type but it's not annoyingly fast than i thought.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Updated the demo.
Go here for the latest.

Alternate download.

Save games from older versions will not work. To preserve your campaign progress use the Save Pilot Data function in the Pilot menu of the mission computer.

Patch Notes:
Spoiler:
What I've been doing:
Spoiler:
SamVision

Re: Iron Assault Remake (Demo 2.01)

Post by SamVision »

This mod is so good, ive always wanted a mech game that runs on gzdoom and this is pretty much perfect.
EnriksD8

Post by EnriksD8 »

I've been playing this TC a lot and my favorite Mech so far is the Gorgon. Just give that thing Level 3 Armor and maybe the ECM pod and you got a really tough and (relatively) quick Mech that can make Bogus difficulty pretty fun and less frustrating.

Put both the Small Impact Driver and the Small Saw weapons (looking forward to what the larger melee options would be like) and it's practically a really powerful battering ram that makes short work of all but the most sturdy of foes.

Looking forward to what the heavier Mechs and weaponry are like in future updates.

Edit: Been using it with the Light Plasma Torch recently and this thing can shred through virtually anything that's not directly part of the map.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

A friend of mine brought this mod back onto my radar. I just wanted to let you know that you're doing very, very fine work on the mod. I've never played Iron Assault before, but it's giving me a vibe of a blend of MechWarrior 2 and Heavy Gear, though without the models, the pixel-based mechs look really good and distinct. The sound design is outstanding. Can't wait for the next major update!

Also, is it normal for repair depots to just kind of quit after your torso structure reaches 80% (and you can't use it again even after you've taken new damage)? On one mission I'd gotten my extremities so mangled that the depot only restored my legs to about 64%.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

SamVision wrote:This mod is so good, ive always wanted a mech game that runs on gzdoom and this is pretty much perfect.
Thanks.
EnriksD8 wrote:I've been playing this TC a lot and my favorite Mech so far is the Gorgon. Just give that thing Level 3 Armor and maybe the ECM pod and you got a really tough and (relatively) quick Mech that can make Bogus difficulty pretty fun and less frustrating.

Put both the Small Impact Driver and the Small Saw weapons (looking forward to what the larger melee options would be like) and it's practically a really powerful battering ram that makes short work of all but the most sturdy of foes.

Looking forward to what the heavier Mechs and weaponry are like in future updates.

Edit: Been using it with the Light Plasma Torch recently and this thing can shred through virtually anything that's not directly part of the map.
Balance is an ongoing thing, and there's some stuff that is probably going to get nerfed a bit. I'm thinking of adding another weight class of weapon that will exclusively appear on the heaviest mechs and as for the heavy melee weapons, they'll pack a pretty hefty punch. The challenge will be sssslllllooowly getting close enough to your enemy without getting shredded.
Project Dark Fox wrote:A friend of mine brought this mod back onto my radar. I just wanted to let you know that you're doing very, very fine work on the mod. I've never played Iron Assault before, but it's giving me a vibe of a blend of MechWarrior 2 and Heavy Gear, though without the models, the pixel-based mechs look really good and distinct. The sound design is outstanding. Can't wait for the next major update!

Also, is it normal for repair depots to just kind of quit after your torso structure reaches 80% (and you can't use it again even after you've taken new damage)? On one mission I'd gotten my extremities so mangled that the depot only restored my legs to about 64%.
Repair and ammo depots do have limited supplies. The repair depot can't restore destroyed limbs or take any limb (or the torso) above 80%. It's likely the repair depot is just running dry. Do you remember if the depot still had it's light on or not?
Project Shadowcat

ReformedJoe wrote:Do you remember if the depot still had it's light on or not?
They had lights? I guess I wasn't paying much attention. It having limited supplies does at least make sense and I will not request a change.
I'd only reported on it because the two times I did use one, the depot conveniently stops at Torso 80% health when there's other damage across the mech below 80.

Also, to add, as I just remembered this as well: When you unlock the Mosquito, its default configuration carries with it a Storm missile launcher, which you do not normally have available to you.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Project Dark Fox wrote:
ReformedJoe wrote:Do you remember if the depot still had it's light on or not?
They had lights? I guess I wasn't paying much attention. It having limited supplies does at least make sense and I will not request a change.
I'd only reported on it because the two times I did use one, the depot conveniently stops at Torso 80% health when there's other damage across the mech below 80.

Also, to add, as I just remembered this as well: When you unlock the Mosquito, its default configuration carries with it a Storm missile launcher, which you do not normally have available to you.
Well I'll have a look at the repair depot anyway. It's possible something broke or there's a bug or logical fault in the script.

As for the Storm launcher, that's a deliberate choice. Accounting for unlocks in the default loadouts would be a headache given that many of those unlocks are optional. Think of it as a trial version of the weapon you don't have the full license to yet.
Project Shadowcat

ReformedJoe wrote:As for the Storm launcher, that's a deliberate choice. Accounting for unlocks in the default loadouts would be a headache given that many of those unlocks are optional. Think of it as a trial version of the weapon you don't have the full license to yet.
I did wonder if it was a design choice, or just a bit too difficult to take into consideration (and given all you have going on, I do not at all blame you). Even MechCommander 2 does something similar when you salvage your first Clan 'Mech and it has a weapon you do not yet have unlimited access to. The game will even warn you that if you strip that weapon (It's a Shadow Cat, and it's a Clan Gauss Rifle), you will not be allowed to mount that weapon again until you find the relevant Weapons Depot.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”