HXDD: A Heretic & Hexen WAD Merger, Updated: 10/16/2023 [0.7.2-Beta]

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
irukanjji

Re: HXDD: A Heretic and Hexen Wad Merger

Post by irukanjji »

Hi Lemon KIng, i like a lot your work, merging heretic and hexen, and i´ve a question can this tool merge also fatespath https://www.moddb.com/games/heretic/add ... -extension, because I like to play episode 6, without having to access the console, to play these 3 maps
Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

Totally forgot about Fate's Path, I'll add it in my next update.
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

Thanks m8
Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

e: post removed with a better example.
Last edited by Lemon King on Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

Turns out its way more possible than I thought, so now I've layed out a foundation for Hexen II stuff with a Necromancer Test.
Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

Small preview of whats coming up with the Hexen 2 addition as it progresses into a playable state.
  • Currently have all Hexen 2 classes added with Weapons still in heavy WIP.
  • Hexen 2 Progression system is fully functional and is controllable by an option.
  • Hexen style armor is now an option.
All progression additions will be rolled into Heretic + Hexen classes as an option to control gameplay preference.

HXDD is now sitting in a weird spot between a gameplay mod and a simple wad merger. :shock:
Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

Still moving along with the remaining classes and weapons being implemented, FX is still heavy WIP.

Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

Been awhile since I've last gave an update.

Wad Assembler is being updated with additional support for Hexen II files and assets.
Scripting 5 classes with 4 weapons each with 2 firing modes and unique interactions depending on powered state has been quite a lot of work but is still pretty far along.

Leveling system is in and is fully functional.
Playstyle system is in but does not exist in UI.

Current development states of each of the classes are as follows:
  • Paladin: All weapons are implemented, missing some polish. Class skills are WIP.
  • Crusader: All weapons are implemented, missing some polish. Class skills are implemented.
  • Necromancer: 3/4 weapons are implemented. Class skills are implemented.
  • Assassin: 3/4 weapons are implemented. Class skills are WIP.
  • Demonness: 3/4 weapons are implemented. Class skills are WIP.
Primary goals for the next release will be to have all class weapons implemented and some Heretic + Hexen analog items implemented too.

HXDD has become less of a "Creation, Conversion, and Editing" project and much closer to a TC / Gameplay Mod project now.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

So... I really like playing Hexen with XRPG. And I like Doom with Wadsmoosh + Episodic-EX + DoomRPG. Basically, I really like the idea of playing through Heretic + Hexen with a single character that gains stats and advances the whole way, which this would be a key part of, along with XRPG, and theoretically Episodic-EX (which works on Heretic, but I'm not sure how it'd work with this).

Of course the big flaw would be any conflicts between the gameplay modifications you've made and the ones XRPG makes.

Would parameters of some sort make sense? Like "generate the maps, but include just the vanilla Hexen player classes, unmodified." Or is that just a nonsense idea?

It kinda ties into the whole "become a TC" aspect of this - parameters could be added for Hexen Maps in Heretic (preserving the vanilla class, for maximum compatibility with gameplay mods), Heretic Maps in Hexen (similar), Combine both, and "So, we put some more Hexen in your Hexen." Hexen 2 content.
GuilcruArt

Post by GuilcruArt »

I'm having this error everytime I try to run the .jar file. And yes, I've put all the required .wad files into the wad folder.

DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

GuilcruArt wrote:I'm having this error everytime I try to run the .jar file. And yes, I've put all the required .wad files into the wad folder.

Try changing folders to the folder the .jar is in first, rather than running it from another folder.
GuilcruArt

Post by GuilcruArt »

DarkkOne wrote:Try changing folders to the folder the .jar is in first, rather than running it from another folder.
I've done that. The same error persists, it can't detect the .wads for some reason.
cacopoggerbv
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cacopoggerbv »

I have the same problem, i tried everything but nothing works. I have the wads and gzdoom pk3's on the wads folder, but dont work.
Attachments
image.png
Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

Its been awhile, last year was kind of a mess for me after getting sick and dealing with a fair amount of brain fog. Which slowed me down enough for my side projects to linger. :|

Anywho: I pushed a massive update to the project's github tonight, no public build just yet.

As for files they should be in a folder named wads like such.

DarkkOne wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:42 pm So... I really like playing Hexen with XRPG. And I like Doom with Wadsmoosh + Episodic-EX + DoomRPG. Basically, I really like the idea of playing through Heretic + Hexen with a single character that gains stats and advances the whole way, which this would be a key part of, along with XRPG, and theoretically Episodic-EX (which works on Heretic, but I'm not sure how it'd work with this).

Of course the big flaw would be any conflicts between the gameplay modifications you've made and the ones XRPG makes.

Would parameters of some sort make sense? Like "generate the maps, but include just the vanilla Hexen player classes, unmodified." Or is that just a nonsense idea?

It kinda ties into the whole "become a TC" aspect of this - parameters could be added for Hexen Maps in Heretic (preserving the vanilla class, for maximum compatibility with gameplay mods), Heretic Maps in Hexen (similar), Combine both, and "So, we put some more Hexen in your Hexen." Hexen 2 content.
I've made some recent changes which removes the hard coded stats and hx2 leveling system from playerpawns. Its now more flexible and hopefully should conflict less with other mods. There are also recently added params which let you force set game mode depending on the map set your loading. If the mod does not auto-detect the map set correctly - and allowing for further end user configuration.
Lemon King

Post by Lemon King »

Big Beta update coming Soon™.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”