Witchaven

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Witchaven

Post by Graf Zahl »

Anyone browsing the Github repo may find a new branch called WHaven.

This was an attempt to get the game working in Raze and is mainly based on WitchavenGDX.
Ultimately we decided, though, not to make this game an official part of Raze, mainly due to quality concerns and the inability to make meaningful comparisons with the original DOS release.
This branch has been reported to have several bugs and inconsistencies with the original DOS release but being faced with investing some real time into fixing such an inferior game and dealing with the future implications of having to support it, it seemed like the wiser decision to abandon it but make the work that's already done accessible to the public.

So that's it. Don't get your hopes up that we may eventually offer full support for it. If someone wants to pick this up and genuinely address these problems, they'd be welcome, of course.
Phredreeke

Re: Witchaven

Post by Phredreeke »

That is understandable. I never expected another port of those games.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Let's just wait for a very enthusiastic modder to create a properly-done Witchaven and Tek War TC... :P
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'm fairly certain that such things would play ten times better than the originals.

In the beginning this was an interesting technical exercise but the more I saw of these games the less enthusiastic I became, which you can see in the very spotty commit history of that branch. And now that we gave them to an external tester for review he pointed out many things we never noticed as wrong. If those games had any genuine merit I might have taken the time to fix them. But as it stands, they are just awful crap. Not as bad as Tekwar but still extremely low on the quality scale.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

I kinda like the witchaven games even if they are very obviously flawed, I do think they're better than anything else capstone put out by a mile.

If nothing else though, I really think having widescreen graphics for the witchaven weapons would truly be the holy grain of all widescreen graphics. Maybe one day someone will step up to that challenge...
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think even waiting for Godot has a higher chance of success than that! :twisted:
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Understandable.

I do wonder if it'd be possible to convince SNEG, the publishers of the recent re-releases, to relicense the source code from "dubious dump from a former programmer's hard drive" to something more legally sound? They include the EGWhaven2 source port with their releases, so they're clearly aware of it.

Return to “General”