Brutal Doom Platinum v3.1 release! GZ focused Brutal Fork!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
EmeraldCoasttt

Brutal Doom Platinum v3.1 release! GZ focused Brutal Fork!

Post by EmeraldCoasttt »

Brutal Doom Platinum, formerly known as Dox's Personalized Brutal Doom, is an ongoing fork of brutal doom designed for gzdoom, featuring many new details, tons of polish, and expanded mechanics

BD Platinum is designed for the newest version of gzdoom as of the latest update (5/22/2022)

Update v3.1 Showcase:

Get it at ModDB!

Or Github! for in-development versions as well as releases!

Features include, but are not limited to:

-Revamped weapon animations
-Bloodstained boots and gloves
-Kicking any time, duke nukem style
-Detailed brightmaps for monsters and weapons alike
-Tons of creative weapon modes and altfires
-New enemy attacks
-Added visual variety in enemies and items
-Remade Demon Runes
-Returning features from early versions of brutal doom
-Extensive weapon developer support
-Sprinting
-MEATHOOK
-Secrets!!!
-Almost every feature of Brutal Doom v21, with as reduced jank as possible

v3.1 Changelog:

-Reworked Railgun. This bolt-action beast features explosive headshots and a new Hologram function!

-Reworked Motorcycle, Thanks to Lewisk3's vehicle code from HaloDoom! Other vehicles will be remade in future updates

-Haste now gives infinite ammo for everything but BFG slot weapons! It also removes many cooldowns from weapons that have them. Go nuts with your new semi auto ssg!

-Dual SUb Machineguns now fire twice as fast, absolutely shredding through any zombie that stands in your way

-Zombies have completely new voices, courtesy of LandyRS! Zombies will talk to themselves while idle, taunt you, and scream in agony as they die. They'll even react to infighting and player deaths!

-Headshots have been completely reworked to be less performance intensive and significantly more consistent. The railgun and the revolver now do explosive headshots as well!

-ADS has been completely reworked, completely unjankified! The ADS mode cvar now functions properly again

-Lost Souls no longer count towards kills
-Shotgun slugs no longer crash level starts
-Titlemaps no longer broken
-archviles are less likely to go out of bounds
-Archviles no longer randomly die
-Archviles no longer teleport on death
-Minigun turrets no longer spawn out of bounds

Previous Changelogs:
Spoiler:
Weapon Tutorials:
Spoiler:
Planned features:
Spoiler:
Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Known bugs:
Spoiler:
Extensive credits can be found in BD Platinum's "Brutal Doom Options" menu
If there's any credits missing, let me know and I'll fix that right away

Submissions and feedback are absolutely welcome, this is a community driven mod

Brutal Doom Platinum's offical discord can be found here!

I also have a Patreon!

Thank you for all of your support, it's an honour to continue Dox's Personalized Brutal Doom as he moves on to bigger and better things, and I believe I can live up to your expectations! ~EmeraldCoasttt
Last edited by EmeraldCoasttt on Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Brutal Doom Platinum v1.0 release! GZ focused brutal for

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Been keeping an eye on your work. Congrats on the release.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Ese dedico ahi (that finger there). xd
Looks good however i don't play BD anymore.
Sgt. Ham
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Sgt. Ham »

Zscript Brutal Doom, eh? That's an interesting one. I also kinda felt like Vanilla BD did a bit too much jank in it like it was trying to be Project Brutality, props where it's due to Sgt. Mk IV though for announcing he's gonna address that for its final version, so I'm looking forward to see how it's all been handled in this fork once I find time to look into it. I'm already in love with all the new weapon sprites, animations, and new stuff like glass slugs (something I've never heard of before). Oh, and as for that flying Mancubus? Fan-fucking-tastic. All you need to do is put it to the Jetpack Joyride soundtrack and you're all set. Hope this project goes well and good luck, man! :D
kalensar
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

Its kind of a laggy thing on my PC, whereas BD21 runs very smooth. I have no idea why there is the lag that there is as there doesn't seem to be much difference in the effects and stuff. The other thing is the move speed of the non-tactical classes. You're basically walking when you run and there is no sprint key to toggle anywhere in the controls options.

Other than the neat upgraded enemies, its performing subpar on everything else basically in comparison to BD21 for the graphics and Player controls.
That0neBr075

Post by That0neBr075 »

R A D
Overall, a real solid version of Brutal Doom, reminded me of when I first got into doom modding.
However as previously stated, the default movement speed of the non-tactical classes is a lil' head scratching. That, and imo the pump shotgun's reload speed feels slower than vanilla BDv21 and could maybe be sped up a bit.
Besides those two small gripes, this is pretty enjoyable, and feels very polished!
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

This is absolutely awesome in every way. I really hate how cluttered and unoptimized project brutality is, and the lack of polish with brutal doom with buggyness and such, but this is a rebirth of epic proportions. Thank you sooooo much!
EmeraldCoasttt

Post by EmeraldCoasttt »

I really appreciate all of the kind words and feedback, everyone!

I'm currently working on v1.1, which will address the most pressing bugs as well as adding new mugshots for the demon morphs by Craneo

Rip and Tear!

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/LhlCswR[/imgur]
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Ah yes, our favorite nightmares in high quality! :D
popguy12

Post by popguy12 »

enjoying it so far, took me a moment to find the always bob option lmao
i think my only gripe so far is the new pistol mags. the new ones kinda blend in and dont really match the SMG or Pistol, which im assuming is why the rifle ammo mags got changed, to better match the new rifle sprites.
personally, i think i woulda kept the slightly slanted ones, since they more so match Beretta magazines, but tweaked its coloring and shading a bit. probably would be nice to have variants for the SMG mags too, which i mean, the BD SMG mags just look weird in general tbh
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It good to see Brutal Doom getting tidied up and ported to a modern codebase. It really needs it. I was surprised to see so much ACS still in the PK3 though. Is that something that needs to be there or will it be getting re-done in ZScript too?

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of BD and I only ever play it vary rarely* but this does seem to be very well done. I'll definitely be interested to see where you go with it next.

*I just find it too "noisy" - visually, gameplay-wise and literally - to the point that, for me, it just feels cluttered and thereby loses the simplicity of Doom's gameplay. I guess I must be a "less is more" kind of person as far as "straight" Doom gameplay mods are concerned. ;)
EmeraldCoasttt

Post by EmeraldCoasttt »

Enjay wrote:It good to see Brutal Doom getting tidied up and ported to a modern codebase. It really needs it. I was surprised to see so much ACS still in the PK3 though. Is that something that needs to be there or will it be getting re-done in ZScript too?

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of BD and I only ever play it vary rarely* but this does seem to be very well done. I'll definitely be interested to see where you go with it next.

*I just find it too "noisy" - visually, gameplay-wise and literally - to the point that, for me, it just feels cluttered and thereby loses the simplicity of Doom's gameplay. I guess I must be a "less is more" kind of person as far as "straight" Doom gameplay mods are concerned. ;)
Brutal doom is a big and messy mod- So while I do port decorate and acs to zscript when needed (The base weapon class will be zscript soon!) I tend to leave things as-is if they aren't actively broken

I tend to use a hybrid system, making new base classes in zscript that the existing decorate actors can inherit from so I can get the features of zscript without the tons of work it'd take to port any individual file- that's how the base weapon class is handled as well
But for weapons in particular that isn't sustainable, so I need to consolidate the base weapon class and its' zscript base into one actor
If it was my choice that would have been done a long time ago, but I wanted to respect the former leader's lack of zscript confidence
That'll most likely come in 1.2- just working on fixing bugs and some minor additions for 1.1

I want to make sure that even as the base weapon class is ported to zscript and cleaned up, weapons can still be built in decorate- this is community driven after all, and I want to support modders that haven't made the jump to zscript yet
EmeraldCoasttt

Re: Brutal Doom Platinum v1.1 release! GZ focused brutal for

Post by EmeraldCoasttt »

Just released v1.1, fixing a number of bugs and adding new graphics for the demon morphs' mugshots. OP has been updated to reflect this.
Carrotear
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Carrotear »

The addons that add more weapons work. However if you kick with those weapons, then you can't fire any weapons.
dard98
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by dard98 »

Love it, i think i will prefer this one over normal Brutal Doom. Also, i had an accident with chainsaw:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”