[GZDoom] Unfamiliar

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: [GZDoom] Unfamiliar Episode III: Circles of Hell

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Chief Smokey wrote:Unfamiliar is intended to be played standalone because it was designed according to the idiosyncrasies of vanilla weapon, item and monster behavior. I think its futile to attempt to balance a mapset to be compatible with so many gameplay changing mods since there's so damn many nowadays with their own quirks - plus loading other mods on top takes away from the author's intent if it affects the gameplay.
Fair enough.

Since this mapset features custom monster sprites, would it not make more sense to replace the Rifle Zombiemen with Pistol Zombiemen, since they now drop pistols?
Chief Smokey

Moddb page

Post by Chief Smokey »

Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

UF_EP3 does not want to work for me, I get this message
Spoiler:
I could not find a map using the Slime animation, so I commented those out, and I get this message
Spoiler:
I could not find that sprite, so I gave up.
Chief Smokey

Post by Chief Smokey »

Kappes Buur wrote:UF_EP3 does not want to work for me, I get this message
Spoiler:
I could not find a map using the Slime animation, so I commented those out, and I get this message
Spoiler:
I could not find that sprite, so I gave up.
Unfamiliar is to be ran with the DOOM2 iwad. This is specified in the OP.
Chief Smokey wrote:Use GZDoom and the Doom 2 iwad.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Chief Smokey wrote: Unfamiliar is to be ran with the DOOM2 iwad. This is specified in the OP.
When I saw the maps in the ExMy format when opened with Slade3 I mistakenly moved the files into my PWADS_D1_GZD folder.

I moved them back to the PWADS_D2_GZD folder. No problem now.

Thx
kalensar
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

Nice freaking mod and level design. I like it.
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

Absolutely loving this level set's latest iteration, but I've run into several bugs on E3M3.

-One of the red doors cannot be re-opened (Single trigger type) which can result in you getting stuck if it closes before you go through it.

-The BFG secret traps you because the first of the two secret doors is a single trigger type and closes behind you.

E3M4's first door is also a single trigger, so when you open it, if it closes before you pass through...Welp...Won't open again.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

These maps go really well with a survival horror theme. Love the designs.

Berserker
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Berserker »

Tried the 3 maps and it's amazing. I love how much work is done, the colorful and dark visuals.
It's funny but while I played the wad, I forgot to put the music volume up and just had the ambient sounds running. Well it worked perfectly fine this way :D
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I am looking forward to seeing your take on Thy Flesh Consumed - easily the worst Ultimate Doom episode for me - as well as Doom II!

Do you plan on reimagining SIGIL as well?

EDIT: For some reason, I cannot get 100% kills in E1M5. Apparently, they are sixteen enemies that will not activate and teleport in.

EDIT #2: In E1M6, I find myself stuck in that room after the door closes a second time.
Attachments
Stuck in the room.jpg
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

Having spent more time with this mapset, I have to say it's becoming a favorite. I do have some gripes, but I don't know how many of these are things that are by design or not. None of them are dealbreakers, mind you.

-Fatal pits seem to be a recurring theme where if you fall in, you're basically dead. No lifts to get back out. Can't say I'm a huge fan of this, I prefer there to be some way out of a pit.

-Powerups seem to be particularly stingy aside from the Berserk pack. I only found a total of two soulspheres in episode 1, I don't think I ever saw a single Partial Invisibility (Yeah, it's mostly useless, but some gameplay mods do make use of it and make it better), Megaarmor also seems to be extremely rare, and I've only ever seen one invuln sphere in episode 3. is there a reason these things are so rare?
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

In E2M3, there is a backpack that is basically unreachable because of a short pillar blocking the way.
Attachments
Unreachable backpack here.jpg
Unreachable backpack.jpg
RockFarmer

Re: [GZDoom] Unfamiliar Trilogy

Post by RockFarmer »

I made several attempts to play through this in the past on a toaster that couldn't handle all the GZdoominess, finally got all the way to the end after an upgrade. WOW! Great maps, great fun, can't wait for Episode IV.
IvanDobrovski

Re: [GZDoom] Unfamiliar Trilogy

Post by IvanDobrovski »

I hate how you buffed the weaker monsters so now shotgun feels like the worst weapon to use, and that's an achievement. It's like I just suffered through an alternate universe version of Doom where iD software was somehow incompetent and had no idea how to do game balancing. I felt like I played Heretic man.

You really need to revert changes you did to the weaker enemies. Game feels like a damn chore to play. I stopped playing at e1m4, it's just insufferable.
Chief Smokey

End of The Line

Post by Chief Smokey »

Unfamiliar is wrapping up.

Instead of producing an Unfamiliarized version of Thy Flesh Consumed, I've instead decided to bring things to a close by doubling down on polishing the content already made and adding a short two-map bonus episode to take Episode IV's place. The bonus episode in question is a revamped version of Everglade, a side wad in production around the same time as Episode I Redux that fell under the radar. You could consider it to be a mini-expansion since it inherited some of the custom assets I was also using for Unfamiliar at the time.

Unfamiliar: Ultimate Edition will release tomorrow.

Return to “Levels”