Xperiment [UPDATED v1.2]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Berserker
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Xperiment [UPDATED v1.2]

Post by Berserker »

Finally I released version 1.2 of Xperiment with fresh new screenshots. I'm also happy to say that I'm currently working on 2 other maps for the wad : Purgatory and Red Phosphorous.
They will be available on the next few updates :)

---

Episode 1 - The Facility : You start the level in a UAC facility and have to make your way outside, while monsters are all over the place.
The first thing to do is to shut down 3 nuclear reactors to progress and then reach the portal to Hell outside that has been opened by the monsters.

Episode 2 - Purgatory : Coming soon.

Episode 3 - Red Phosphorous : Coming soon.

The wad is made so it can be played either as vanilla Doom or with Brutal Doom, so don't worry.

You can find Brutal Doom or Dox Brutal Doom ( recommended ) here : https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/ ... l-doom-v21

Download Xperiment v1.2 : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X3m9Cc ... sp=sharing

Screenshots preview :
Spoiler:
Changelog

Version 1.2 :

- Minor bugs fixed
- Minor map changes
- Added new secret
- Custom menu and menu sounds
- Merged Voxel Vehicles Pack to the wad so you don't need to load additional file to play

Version 1.1 :
Spoiler:
Credits :
Spoiler:
Thank you :D
Last edited by Berserker on Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
kalensar
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Xperiment : The facility [Coming Soon]

Post by kalensar »

Looks pretty cool. Take your time so that it plays well.
ritaremton
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by ritaremton »

hi! the mapset looks awesome. i appreciate the mapset could be played vanilla. all the best in completing and publishing the mapset :)
Berserker

Post by Berserker »

Thank you I appreciate the support ! There will be no problem playing the map vanilla if you wish, it's made for that in the first place. I will release the map tomorrow ( sunday ) 100% complete, so beware 😉
gamergoodboymail115
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by gamergoodboymail115 »

Whats the monster count for this level?
Berserker

Post by Berserker »

gamergoodboymail115 wrote:Whats the monster count for this level?
Over 200 monsters I didn't count exactly
ritaremton
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Xperiment : The facility [RELEASED!]

Post by ritaremton »

hi. completed the mapset in uv via source port [gzdoom 4.7.0], without any gameplay mods. the following are my findings:

wad load errors:
Spoiler:
new game uv errors:
Spoiler:
pinkies that got stuck:
Spoiler:
[hom]s/missing textures:
Spoiler:
missing objects: note that the [voxel vehicles pack v1.0] (file [vvpck1.0.pk3]) was loaded.
Spoiler:
fuzzy audio in this area:
Spoiler:
error [p_startscript unknown script 23]:
Spoiler:
personal notes:
Spoiler:
what i personally liked:
Spoiler:
hope my findings above help. tq :)
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

The map looks super amazing! I played with some mods and got tons of lag so, maybe it didn't like my mods. Other than that, I saw the monsters glitching out as cars.
Berserker

Post by Berserker »

ritaremton wrote:hi. completed the mapset in uv via source port [gzdoom 4.7.0], without any gameplay mods. the following are my findings:

wad load errors:
Spoiler:
new game uv errors:
Spoiler:
pinkies that got stuck:
Spoiler:
[hom]s/missing textures:
Spoiler:
missing objects: note that the [voxel vehicles pack v1.0] (file [vvpck1.0.pk3]) was loaded.
Spoiler:
fuzzy audio in this area:
Spoiler:
error [p_startscript unknown script 23]:
Spoiler:
personal notes:
Spoiler:
what i personally liked:
Spoiler:
hope my findings above help. tq :)
First of all, thanks for the detailed feedback.

I'm a bit sad to hear that there's a lot of errors in the wad, but rest assured that I will fix all that in the next update I'm working on. Also I've taken your advices about backtracking for health, and adding ammo in the beggining of map and the Cyberdemon part, so I will work on it as well !

PS : Yes, the radsuit in the glass is a distraction, but I will make it more obvious lol

Glad that you liked it otherwise :)
Berserker

Post by Berserker »

Rex705 wrote:The map looks super amazing! I played with some mods and got tons of lag so, maybe it didn't like my mods. Other than that, I saw the monsters glitching out as cars.
Super happy that you liked it !

What mods did you use ?

I know the game could lag a bit with BDoom when I tested it, and I'm trying my best to fix this at the time. For the monsters glitching out as cars, I figured it does that when using heavy mods like BDoom because of names double defining or something. Will take a look on it.

Thx !
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Really enjoyed this. It's a well put together map that plays well - nice and logical, good fights etc. I pretty much agree with all of the comments that ritaremton mentioned and I found the same bugs.

I did notice frame rates dropping in places - not problematically, but it was detectable. I played without additional mods. I suspect that the reflective floors are the main culprit. They are known to cause lag if used excessively and you have used them a lot.
Berserker

Post by Berserker »

Enjay wrote:Really enjoyed this. It's a well put together map that plays well - nice and logical, good fights etc. I pretty much agree with all of the comments that ritaremton mentioned and I found the same bugs.

I did notice frame rates dropping in places - not problematically, but it was detectable. I played without additional mods. I suspect that the reflective floors are the main culprit. They are known to cause lag if used excessively and you have used them a lot.
Hi and thanks for the review ! I'm aware that there are lots of bugs and such, so I'm currently working on improvements on the map and also adding new content.
Berserker

Re: Xperiment : The facility [UPDATED v1.1]

Post by Berserker »

After taking useful and constructive feedback into consideration, I have updated the map so it is more enjoyable and clean, all the details are on the first post :)
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

Good map, Berserker! They are well developed and the complexity is quite normal. I wonder why the beginning of Xperiment resembles Half-Life?

By the way, will there be more maps?
Berserker

Post by Berserker »

Void Warrior wrote:Good map, Berserker! They are well developed and the complexity is quite normal. I wonder why the beginning of Xperiment resembles Half-Life?

By the way, will there be more maps?
Hi Void Warrior, well I admit that I was a bit inspired by the first Half Life and then I used my imagination. I am currently working on 2 other maps for Xperiment, my main goal is to make a 3 maps wad to start with.

Return to “Levels”