Custom Texture Thread.

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Talon1024

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Custom Texture Thread.

Post by Talon1024 »

Egyptian "night sky" pattern (Doom palette, Public Domain license):
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

Corvus and Tome of Power stained glass
credits to Raven Software and ItsNatureToDie
Shibainumaster

Post by Shibainumaster »

Different arches
Attachments
BRIKARCH.png
BRIKARCH.png (6.57 KiB) Viewed 21128 times
plutarche2.png
plutarche2.png (16.36 KiB) Viewed 21128 times
hellacrh3.png
hellacrh3.png (23.11 KiB) Viewed 21128 times
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

A winter-y sky! Doesn't really convert well to the Doom palette as is, unfortunately.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

you don't HAVE to convert it to the doom palette at all. even if you value a "purist" approach I think it is valid to compromise on a component that exists somewhat outside the regular game world. I know that I would rather see a pretty sky than one made ugly for no real reason.
Or you could upscale it a few degrees, dither it to the doom palette, and display it at reduced scale, although that may seem both non-purist and regressive.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

True, but I've gotten into Boom mapping and it kinda broke my heart all my sky textures needed heavy reworking to actually look good in the Doom palette. Speaking of... this should look fairly good in vanilla Doom.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

the scraggly bits in the uppert part definitely remind me of some vintage doom skies, like the widely copied one out of "forest valley," I think it was called. I like the inclusion of yellows.
you could alternatively turn it monochrome and then manually use doom blues to recolor it, the sort of thing I used to do years and years ago (though more frequently with green), or the much wider range of browns to make it look that much doomier.
do you plan to pre-mirror it before using it? I also obsessively did that in the past, and often wonder if anyone else did or does.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

I think I should just turn it monochrome and throw in hints of blue, since Doom only has 16 blues. Also, pre-mirroring? Dunno what you mean exactly by that.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just an (on topic) opinion piece:

For me, purely from a personal standpoint, I really have grown to dislike textures that have been forced into the Doom palette.

I don't mean textures designed for it from scratch; I mean textures that did not originally have a palette that was particularly close to the Doom palette in the first place. I, like I'm sure most people here, have seen so many textures like this over the years that I can spot the specific Doom palette artefacts that are caused on certain textures. You know, areas of a once mossy wall, or a slimy metal tank which now have overly large patches of greens from the 152-159 range that have lost much of their detail and subtlety as a result, large areas of grey that obviously look as if they must have had a different colour at one point, brown areas of a texture illogically having pixels from the two main brown ranges in Doom in the same area and sometimes a few dark reds thrown in for good measure. etc. etc. And if a texture had any blues other than strong (R 0 G 0 B lots) ones... Blergh! Honestly, to me it just looks awful.

I'd much rather have textures designed specifically for the Doom palette, or textures done in colours so that they compliment the Doom palette even though they might have some colours outside of it (which can actually be quite effective) or, if a texture doesn't suit being forced into the Doom palette then have it be used in its original colours.

Myself, I gave up really caring about the Doom palette a long time ago. Being freed from it is, IMO, one of the greatest things about GZDoom. I don't mean "well that gives me a license to put as many contradictory styles into a map as possible" (though I guess it kind of does :P ). Things still need to compliment each other. However, seeing so many once beautiful textures made ugly by brute-forcing them into Doom's colour range is such a shame. They don't look good. /opinion :P
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

That is how I feel about all the low resolution in the sprite carnival!
I remember that you made something with all the blues changed to more pleasantly sky-ish tones some years ago and that might have prompted me to make my greens more vibrant, though i had swapped out redundant whites for additional purples before then (and subsequently had to clone and slightly recolor regular sprites that somehow distinguished between the redundant whites).
A lot of people are primarily interested in filtering their ideas through a retro aesthetic, especially with more and more self-describing "game dev" sorts who get recognition for doing that. without a model to strive after they don't know where to start or stop, I suppose. I got stuck on doom early and just never finished anything so I enjoy no longer being blocked at arbitrary points, but do now and then have a bit of regret about parting with an element that I thought stood against but within the limits particularly well.
Also, pre-mirroring? Dunno what you mean exactly by that.
doom matches sky textures to the in-game angles, which go right to left instead of left to right, which results in the graphics showing up backwards. most people don't notice, but once I did notice, it forever-after bothered me to see my own skies have that happen to them.
Craneo

Post by Craneo »

Christmas patches for everyone to use in projects:
Shibainumaster

Post by Shibainumaster »

WIMAP2 remake with HOMM3 graphics
Attachments
WIMAP2thatwasnew.png
WIMAP2thatwasnew.png (42.75 KiB) Viewed 20775 times
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

I've disassembled the doom 1 E3 sky, which I don't think has been done before:

https://i.imgur.com/BIb4juF.png

and this is what I came up with when messing around with it:

if you feel like giving it a try for fun I'd love to see what you can come up with! this is probably one of the skies that gets the least amount of full blown edits so it'd be interesting to see what can be done with it.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

it would be neat to see the smoke animated and maybe the rocks glowing, and I could probably do that, though I probably won't. not today, anyway.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Personally I don't think it's meant to be smoke, rather clouds/mist, https://i.imgur.com/1OYYHE1.png like that. But it certainly could work with an edit of some kind.

Return to “Resources”