[GZDoom] Random Freezes

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

[GZDoom] Random Freezes

Post by Guest »

I have this ultra-powerful PC from a year ago, and it's still very, very good, but I've run into a little problem with GZDoom (No other app/game does this), and I've died (in-game) to it many a time, but I've just not got around to submitting a bug report.
There isn't really anything to explain, basically every few minutes or so, GZDoom will just freeze for about a quarter of a second, and unfreeze, and maybe half the time when this happens, about 3 seconds later, GZDoom will freeze in the same way again, but twice. I cannot find any rhyme or reason to why this would be happening, but it doesn't happen on any of the 10 Macs I own, nor does it happen on the few other 3 PCs I own either.
I might edit this later on with a video of the nonsense, but as of now, of course I cannot replicate the bug so yea.

This is bug two of two that I had yet to submit.

Thank you.
-j
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [GZDoom] Random Freezes

Post by Graf Zahl »

Please post your hardware specs.

Post by Guest »

http://iredmc.us.to/serverinfo/serverinfo.txt

I do run servers too but none of them were running at the time. That's why it's named "serverinfo.txt".

Post by Guest »

(Mistposted this in my other forum thread by mistake, posting it here since it was supposed to be here in the first place)
Here's that video of the freezing that I said I might edit in later: https://youtu.be/baX3_7YPA_s
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

This looks oddly familiar. It usually happens to me shortly after alt-tabbing back into the game. I don't recall it happening at any other point during playthrough if I haven't alt-tabbed out of GZDoom. And once it does it, it doesn't happen again until the next time I minimize the game.

Hardware:
Nvidia GTX 1080
AMD Phenom II X4 965
16 GB RAM
Running on Windows 10 x64
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Percival Bardhall wrote:http://iredmc.us.to/serverinfo/serverinfo.txt

I do run servers too but none of them were running at the time. That's why it's named "serverinfo.txt".

That link creates a timeout.

Post by Guest »

Yes. Server was down for maintenance for a while, it's back up now.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Still timing out for me.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think this is better put in "Technical Issues" than "Bugs".

4x Freeze Bug

Post by Guest »

Hi, so my other forum topic got deleted for some reason that I’ve not been told so I had to go and make a new one so here it is.

I’ve encountered a glitch with GZDoom where just randomly it’ll freeze, sometimes 2 times, sometimes 4 times, and sometimes 8 times, for freezing for about a sixth of a second, and there’s groups of freezes too so for the 8 one it’ll be 2 freezes, and a quarter of a second in between them, but happening twice, and then it takes a 1-second break, and then freezes in the same way again. It’s very precise and this is a very specific description because of how much it happens and how much I play doom. In reality it happens every 5-10 mins or so, can’t pin down a pattern.
Here’s a video showing the 4 or 8 one I can’t recall: https://youtu.be/baX3_7YPA_s
Also screw typing my specs out manually, I know they need to be put here because I was asked to on the deleted forum topic so here they are again, disregard everything else in the file the stuff that matters is at the very bottom: http://iredmc.us.to/serverinfo/serverinfo.txt
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: 4x Freeze Bug

Post by Rachael »

That is very clearly not GZDoom. It's either your hardware overheating, or something is running in the background that takes too much RAM and causes GZDoom to needlessly thrash the disk.

Also your thread was not deleted - it was moved to a more appropriate forum. This is not a bug, it's a technical issue on your end.

Merged with the older topic. I wish there was a way to let you know, though, so that you don't go thinking we deleted this one, too.

[GZDoom] Random Freezes

Post by Guest »

Ok so my post got removed AGAIN so I'm gonna be quicker and less specific this time: GZDoom has this issue where it'll randomly just lag. I've died so much to this.

YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baX3_7YPA_s

Basic Specs: 9900k +2070 Super running off NVMe SSD aka not the PC to lag on DOOM of all games.

Stop removing my post it's really pissing me off now, especially when there's no reason given at all. It just... vanishes. I'll give more details when someone actually replies to my damn topic instead of being a douche and removing it.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Percival Bardhall wrote:Ok so my post got removed AGAIN so I'm gonna be quicker and less specific this time: GZDoom has this issue where it'll randomly just lag. I've died so much to this.

YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baX3_7YPA_s

Basic Specs: 9900k +2070 Super running off NVMe SSD aka not the PC to lag on DOOM of all games.

Stop removing my post it's really pissing me off now, especially when there's no reason given at all. It just... vanishes. I'll give more details when someone actually replies to my damn topic instead of being a douche and removing it.
Your posts are not being removed. They're being sent to different sub forums. If you can't find them, that's your problem, not ours. We do not delete posts for no reason, so don't blame us!

Post by Guest »

Pretty sure I was having this issue. I also had the Nvidea control panel's vsync enabled globally, because I always get screen tearing without some form of vsync and often find nvidea's to be optimal. When I disabled it for gzdoom and used gzdoom's vsync setting this issue disappeared. Hope this helps OP or anyone else who comes looking for a solution to this obnoxious issue.

Return to “Technical Issues”