Iron Snail [New v2.0 test 30/10/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
64palm
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Iron Snail [New v2.0 test 17/04/21]

Post by 64palm »

can you give me a iron snail v2.0 before this ?? cus im delete this mod
Melodica
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Melodica »

64palm wrote: sorry but im experiencing a bug when i shoot a pistol a graphic become a dark glitch
not sure what could be causing that, what version of gzdoom are you using? does it happen if you run just the weapons and nothing else??
64palm wrote:can you give me a iron snail v2.0 before this ?? cus im delete this mod
here's a link to the year old previous release of it, but note that its missing a bunch of stuff from the new version and lacks a lot of changes made since then
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1g5qaen97pa1i ... 9.zip?dl=0
Kneight

Post by Kneight »

I've noticed something with the Monoeye monster: it can use its laser attack from any range even without being attacked, whereas Archviles need to be at a certain range when chasing the player.

That's all atm, otherwise amazing mod!
Ac!d

Post by Ac!d »

I've played the last release of the weapons, and I noticed a few things :

- This happens (sometimes) when you press "Fire" and "Reload" at the same time.
- The projectiles for the FlameShot bounce on walls, floors, and ceillings. Intentional ?
Melodica

Post by Melodica »

Kneight wrote:the Monoeye monster: it can use its laser attack from any range even without being attacked, whereas Archviles need to be at a certain range when chasing the player.
Ah, that's an oversight I didnt notice, thanks for pointing it out!
Ac!d wrote:This happens (sometimes) when you press "Fire" and "Reload" at the same time.
No clue why that happens, but might have fixed it, hopefully
The projectiles for the FlameShot bounce on walls, floors, and ceillings. Intentional ?
This is intentional, yeah.

updated the first post to have a small hotfix to address those two things

EDIT: forgot to remove some unfinished stuff I was gonna dummy out from the monsters, updated the download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5ook9lipw2yv ... 1.zip?dl=0
64palm
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by 64palm »

Melodica wrote:
64palm wrote: sorry but im experiencing a bug when i shoot a pistol a graphic become a dark glitch
not sure what could be causing that, what version of gzdoom are you using? does it happen if you run just the weapons and nothing else??

im using lzdoom 3.87c cuz gzdoom 3.8.2 cannot run this mod
64palm wrote:can you give me a iron snail v2.0 before this ?? cus im delete this mod
here's a link to the year old previous release of it, but note that its missing a bunch of stuff from the new version and lacks a lot of changes made since then
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1g5qaen97pa1i ... 9.zip?dl=0
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

A couple ideas:
1. Add the ability to hold multiple weapons per slot as an option.
2. Add the option to have the Metal Slug-style weapon management (as in: you can't carry multiple weapons, picking a new one ditches your current weapon)
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

Been playing this mod alot. Normally, I don't like mods that replace both enemies and weapons, but they go so well together that I can't imagine the mod without it's custom enemy pack. Still interested in seeing what the final two enemy types will be along with the additional weapon types.

Keep up the good work.
LoreCannon

Post by LoreCannon »

I did not expect to like this mod as much as I do. I'm a huge metal slug fan, even bought an AES and my arcade FPGA cabinet is almost always on demo for MVS games. This is awesome. I can't wait for what you do next.
VriskaSerket
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by VriskaSerket »

Gotta say I love this mod so damn much, and I second the idea to carry only one weapon at a time besides the pistol (or two, for the last few MS titles)
I've honestly been thinking of doing sprites for the weapons, particularly based on the AR-10 used in Metal Slug (with modules to modify it, as in the concept art) or perhaps the weapons from MS3D (which I've managed to rip models from but not view yet, though I do have the textures)
The shotgun is really satisfying to use, I especially like how you replicated the smoke muzzleflash effect for it
Looking forwards to the next update!
NullWire

Post by NullWire »

Do you have plans to add all the weapons / powerups from the Metal Slug games?
Some ejected bullet casings for weapons alike the shotgun and machine gun won't look bad tho
Melodica

Re: Iron Snail [New v2.0 test 30/10/21]

Post by Melodica »

I've released a new small ish update!
wow more than one update within the same year?

Some of the changes include new bullet tracers, the lasergun using flatsprites for its laser now, and finally the metal slug pickup announcer has been added.
Spoiler: Full Changelog
Download
tsukiyomaru0 wrote:A couple ideas:
2. Add the option to have the Metal Slug-style weapon management (as in: you can't carry multiple weapons, picking a new one ditches your current weapon)
Eventually I plan on adding a weapon limit like that, although for now I've just removed the previous one weapon per slot limit I had.
CherubCorps wrote:Still interested in seeing what the final two enemy types will be.
With this new release I think the only enemy that needs its own unique enemy type replacement is the Pain Elemental, although I do also want to have full sets based on the various enemy factions (rebel soldiers, mars people, miscellaneous enemies like the mummies and zombies, the ptolemaic) for each doom enemy spawn. The only problem would be making the enemy sprites.
NullWire wrote:Do you have plans to add all the weapons / powerups from the Metal Slug games?
Hopefully eventually, I do want to have more Metal Slug weapons present, although I'd like to avoid ammo bloat by having too many ammo types, which I already kinda do.
Baratus
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Baratus »

Excellent work, personally I wasn't a fan of the weapon limit, and the redone visual effects are stellar. This has renewed my love for this mod and now I need to take it for a spin for another dozen levelsets.

I've noticed a problem with the Firebomb, it doesn't play nicely with 3D floors and the fire spawns at the lowest floor, even if the projectile hits a different floor. Might be an engine bug that's harder to fix.
Melodica

Post by Melodica »

Baratus wrote:I've noticed a problem with the Firebomb, it doesn't play nicely with 3D floors and the fire spawns at the lowest floor, even if the projectile hits a different floor. Might be an engine bug that's harder to fix.
ah fug, that's due to the way the firebomb fire spawning is done, which doesn't take 3d floors into account because I never did actually test any mapsets that actually have 3d floors in them and never noticed it.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

When i click on the Download Link at OP, i see two mod files with the exact same name, but one of them has a bit less filesize. Which one is well, most stable?

Also nice update. Tho i'd like to see Stone bounces further and hit more enemies. And i've noticed that i still alert enemies when i try to throw grenade while it's all out.

EDIT: Also in Icon of Sin, the game was crashed during he was spawning enemies. I guess this is about one of the enemy Tanks?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”