RAMP - A community+ project [DOWNLOAD!]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: RAMP - A community+ project [DOWNLOAD!]

Post by wildweasel »

I'm uncertain how much this has to do with mods I'm loading, but I can't get Map48 to progress past the first few waves of monsters - past a certain point, it just stops, and I can't move on. The mod I'm loading (my Mixed Tape Volume 3, ww-mixed3b.pk3) does not alter monsters at all, but I have not tested without mods.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Oddly enough I had the same problem with that map the first few times I tested it… then I did my last run of it before release, it worked, and I thought the author must have fixed it. I’ll take a look at how their scripts work…
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Thanks to the helpfulness of AT-ROM in the Discord, have updated to beta 1.1 with the following quick fixes!

MAP48 Pickups are no longer required to advance through waves
MAP114 Fixed nonrepeatable teleporters
MAP128 had an End Game line instead of Exit
kadu522
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Good night i'm currently haveing a problem starting up this project. as its giveing me the following errors:

Script error, "RAMP-BETA1-1.PK3:zscript.hub" line 148:
Unknown identifier 'ypositions'
Script error, "RAMP-BETA1-1.PK3:zscript.hub" line 157:
Script error, "RAMP-BETA1-1.PK3:zscript.hub" line 201:

I'm Useing LZDoom 3.88 the latest stable (This is due for me runing a 32-bit system)
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Now it runs, something else i missed.
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

Thank you. i asume i will have to update LZdoom then? i do that right away!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

When i release 3.88a in a few days. Today's devbuild might work but better change openal32.dll with the one from the release to avoid the crash on exit.
Linz

Post by Linz »

Should be fine to play this with gameplay mods right?
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

It works perfectly fine. just keep in mind that just like DUMP. all the maps require pistol starts for balanceing reasons.

As such some progresion heavy mods way not work as intended.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Absolutely right :) I use a variant of Deadmarine habitually and fixed any small problems that arose.

And finally - oh dear god we did it. With repairs all submitted, I'm now declaring this the V1.0 version of RAMP! A ridiculously massive collection starring 200 maps from all kinds of people. Have fun - I'm going to sleep!

Code: Select all

021: Added line trigger to release last two monsters
064: Adjusted teleporters to help monsters into the arena
066: Autostarred due to final archvile pain exit
083: Performed author's requested fixes
113: Fixed out of bounds zombieman
120: Added PANBUTT textures
122: Updated Fireblu-HD-Remaster with Engineerdone's fix
123: Adjusted caco positioning, autostarred due to randomness of last fight
135: Replaced map with author's fixed version
142: Fixed final yellow door which wouldn't open, autostarred as level can't have been tested by author
156: Adjusted revenant teleport lines
188: Removed stray revenant
190: Fixed problem with rhythm game breaking on load game
205: Fixed Ultra Cyberdemon sounds
HUB: Finally got rid of the scrolling ceiling on the light bridge
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

DavidN, I wanted to ask you something. In the screenshots that you showed during the development of RAMP, there was a special HUD, but in the end this HUD is not there.

Did you decide that it would be superfluous or was there some other reason?
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Void Warrior wrote:DavidN, I wanted to ask you something. In the screenshots that you showed during the development of RAMP, there was a special HUD, but in the end this HUD is not there.

Did you decide that it would be superfluous or was there some other reason?
He mentioned in the post above yours that he personally uses an edited version of DEAD MARINE.

With that out of the way, I did it, I beat RAMP. Played through with Hellrider 0.9c.

Overall a community collection erring on the good side, with maps big and small (the bigger maps tended to be the ones made by better mappers, but by no means too much greater than the small and simple ones where you just blast away at things). I often liked it better when a map was simpler because they tended to be less like glorified corridors in which you dodge fireballs (that one green wooden map was guilty of hard dodges). And on the subject of green I noticed there were plenty of green maps in this pack, more than the yellow ones (and boy were the yellow ones some of the toughest). I liked the slaughter challenges that forced you to figure out the "solution" of who should infight who too. "Prelude to Phoebus" was my favorite map of the bunch. Some criticisms:

- Some maps with Icons of Sin (constantly spawning monsters) did not have automatically awarded stars, and it was difficult to clear every single monster before the level ended at times.
- One map had an automatically awarded star but didn't really deserve it, can't think of which one right now.
- It's easy to screw yourself out of a star on the pool of 3vil thanks to the four shotgun guys that spawn at the start, likely way after you've already hit the teleporter.
- I admit the "toughest" level in the game wasn't that tough since it gave me a berserk pack. Hellrider's melee allows you to regain ten health per enemy hit with berserk on. :oops: The first no health map was tougher in this regard since I did a lot more dodging than killing.
- The actual toughest level in the game was the rhythm map. "Only fire on beats 1 and 3" was not specific enough for me to figure out the rhythm from the get go, and it took me many, many attempts of frustrating practice killing myself to finally get through it. Dumb idea for a level gimmick.
- There is a point in MAP37 where you can walk through some grates and drop down, becoming stuck unless you noclip out since jumping is not enabled. On that same map the wall of the blue key cathedral does not drop and trap you in on first entering because the walkover linedef is facing the wrong way.

And to finish off this post, the biggest criticism I'd like to share: very, very good maps collection, EXCEPT the maps made by CBM. Good god, his maps are a huge black mark on an otherwise great set. The circuitboard map, Air ship, and memories of Crispy Doom were on the tolerable end (sorted descending), and any enjoyment to be had from them only went down from there. Calling them "highly experimental" sounded like the politically correct description - they were gigantic messes, textured spaghetti that had a tendency to kill you for looking at them funny, or in Wet Dream's case slow burn you for not being fast in an otherwise hugely abstract and unfun to navigate environment. Sorry, but it felt like his maps were included to be polite. The only other map that came close enough to earn dislike from me was Strawberry in the Brain, and unlike any of CBM's maps I'd still play it again.

Thanks for all your hard work in putting this together, and sorry my garden only looks half attended to. With 50+ hours of playtime it did get a little exhausting...
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

I myself have not yet passed the RAMP, so I will remember the first opinion about this HEALTHY collection of maps and check it in my passage with Combined Arms 2.3 in Blaster Master MK II mode. And thank you for answering my question! 38^)
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CBM »

Zhs2 wrote: And to finish off this post, the biggest criticism I'd like to share: very, very good maps collection, EXCEPT the maps made by CBM. Good god, his maps are a huge black mark on an otherwise great set. The circuitboard map, Air ship, and memories of Crispy Doom were on the tolerable end (sorted descending), and any enjoyment to be had from them only went down from there. Calling them "highly experimental" sounded like the politically correct description - they were gigantic messes, textured spaghetti that had a tendency to kill you for looking at them funny, or in Wet Dream's case slow burn you for not being fast in an otherwise hugely abstract and unfun to navigate environment. Sorry, but it felt like his maps were included to be polite. The only other map that came close enough to earn dislike from me was Strawberry in the Brain, and unlike any of CBM's maps I'd still play it again.
Thanks for the "kind words"... you may not believe it, but some of the maps I submitted to RAMP do actually have some fans.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Thinking about playing this with a monster mod and weapon mod, are there any scripted triggers that would fail because specific vanilla monsters or items are required to be present?

Thanks.

Return to “Levels”