Widescreen statusbars (v2401)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Widescreen statusbars for Doom PWADs

Post by NightFright »

av_fix.wad contains five lumps:
DEHACKED
MAPINFO
M_ALIENV (optional)
M_NRFTL (optional)
STBAR

It's called "fix" because it contains more than just the STBAR images, it also has files for the map names. That's why it's not called _WIDE as usual. This file naming scheme is consistent throughout the collection. I hope this settles your confusion, and I can assure you, the statusbar is right there, fully functional and everything.
ragu

Post by ragu »

Ultrawide Statusbars
I've adapted NightFright's original widescreen statusbars into ultrawide versions, for those of us who like our Doom even W I D E R. Some of them have minor tweaks, some of them I took some more extensive liberties with. There's also a few HUDs for PWADs that aren't included in the regular widescreen pack, they might work as regular widescreen assets but I haven't tested.

I've included some instructions on how to get the ultrawide assets to look right in GZdoom in the text file, as it doesn't scale them up properly when letting it do its thing automatically, it needs some manual settings.

Here's a few I'm most proud of:
batman_ultrawide.png
batman_ultrawide.png (6.59 KiB) Viewed 8211 times
cchest_ultrawide.png
cchest_ultrawide.png (9.65 KiB) Viewed 8211 times
mm2_ultrawide.png
mm2_ultrawide.png (5.94 KiB) Viewed 8211 times
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

It's a giant waste of screen space, though. With literally nothing happening visually and functionally within those gaps that you fill with these additional graphics. It's the main reason why I am having a really hard time returning to this project. My attitude towards this approach has changed quite fundamentally.

I don't want to talk any of you guys out of using this stuff, obviously there's still some interest for this, but personally I have just moved on to the approach from the Fullscreen Statusbar Mod.
Gamerwarrior117

Post by Gamerwarrior117 »

this works for doom campaigns as well not just for mods right?
Gez

Post by Gez »

The base games do not need this as GZDoom comes with widescreen graphics already.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Except for the Doom statusbar. Nash wrote that one doesn't offer anything interesting visually if extended, so he didn't include it.
Gamerwarrior117

Post by Gamerwarrior117 »

what i mean is how do you have monster counts, items, secrets and the map name above status bar instead of top left corner?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

With a code-based mod. Which this is not.
primaris82
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by primaris82 »

wen i use this mod the vanilla arms part of the bar is where the frag should be ? am i doing something wrong?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

primaris82 wrote:wen i use this mod the vanilla arms part of the bar is where the frag should be ? am i doing something wrong?
Are you playing in deathmatch mode? Because the FRAGS counter gets covered by the ARMS box in any other mode, just like in vanilla.
primaris82

Post by primaris82 »

it just don't look right a blue bar with the old vanilla grey arms box looks weird
primaris82

Post by primaris82 »

i attachet the photo of what it looks like
Attachments
status bar pic
status bar pic
Delfino Furioso

Post by Delfino Furioso »

it happened to me once: I was loading the widescreen statusbar wad/pk3 BEFORE the mapset wad
is should be the other way around
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

You are loading a custom statusbar image on top of the widescreen one.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 2203 released

Post by NightFright »

I admit I underestimated the popularity of this project. After four years, it's time to make an update. This was mostly done to include what has been posted here in the meantime (with some fixes where necessary), plus 2-3 bars I have made by myself. Over at Doomworld, a similar project has popped up and I will see what can be used from there here in the near future as well.

Also, I moved the project to Github for better version control.

Changelog v2203:
- Added: 25 Years on Earth, 2048 Units of /vr/, Akeldama, Doom 64 for Doom II, Eviternity, Lost Civilization, Lullaby, Requiem, Slaughterfest 2012, Valiant
- Updated: Batman Doom (Ultrawide), Community Chest 1-4 (Ultrawide), Memento Mori II (Ultrawide + DEHACKED)

BTW, most of these should also work in Crispy or International Doom. Some graphics are provided in PNG format, which might cause problems and I need to check whether they can be converted to the Doom palette without issues. I know at least for HacX that it needs to stay as PNG since otherwise the palette will get messed up when using HacX 2.0 (uses its own palette - maybe can be solved by providing two variants, one based on HacX 1.x and another with 2.x palette).

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”