GZDoom 4.7.0 released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

grahf78
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom 4.7.0 released

Post by grahf78 »

I am a little disappointed that the PR for automap thickness wasn't merged for this one, but great release overall.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

One of the biggest port releases of this year and especially so for GZDoom. MBF21 support is huge, but including the GLES renderer is aswell, making GZDoom-GLES now an archived port. Good thing this is now a switchable renderer and GZDoom now is more than capable for low end systems.

This would be great to test on Radeon 9xxx, (A 2002 9700 Pro would be class!) Geforce 6xx and lower and what have you.

Monumental release, thanks Graf and team for kicking it up.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

On a Geforce 550 the full renderer works better, you need something a bit older. When asking for some benchmarks we got good results with GLES for one Geforce 8800 and several Intel HD 4xxx GPUs, but anything more recent showed clear advantages on full OpenGL, and no hardware supporting Vulkan profited in any way from it.

Which is what we actually expected.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Graf Zahl wrote:On a Geforce 550 the full renderer works better, you need something a bit older. When asking for some benchmarks we got good results with GLES for one Geforce 8800 and several Intel HD 4xxx GPUs, but anything more recent showed clear advantages on full OpenGL, and no hardware supporting Vulkan profited in any way from it.

Which is what we actually expected.
That's what i'd be going for, indeed. Either at about a high end Geforce 7900 or something that has modern OpenGL support but is too slow to actively use it, like something like a Geforce 210 (or 610).

All those very low wattage and low power chips would likely benefit from GLES.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Geforce 7900 will probably run like utter shit - provided that it runs. Both Geforce 6xxx and 7xxx series suffered from very, very poor shader processing, and even the GLES version heavily depends on shaders to do all the work.

That's not even considering that these cards have virtually disappeared entirely by now, they are simply far too old.
Kizoky
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kizoky »

wish I still had that ATI Radeon HD 3650 around :S

Great release btw!
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux

Post by KynikossDragonn »

Intel Iris Pro 580 still runs great regardless if I pick OpenGL or Vulkan. I don't think there'd be a point to me picking OpenGL ES in that regard, but the only other thing I play that uses OpenGL ES is Cruelty Squad. (and that's because Godot Engine only runs in OpenGL ES)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you can run Vulkan there is no point using GLES. It's for hardware that has issues with the full GL backend and does not support Vulkan.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Here's some first trend of the survey:

Pre Vulkan hardware currently is at ~13 %. This is down from 22% two years ago. But what's surprising here is that the higher end of this segment has shrunk a lot more than the really old stuff. While in 2018 roughly 60% of this old hardware ran on systems with full GL feature support, this number shrank to 52% in 2019 and now is at less than 40%. The same trend can be seen with older generations of Vulkan compatible hardware. Their numbers have also shrunk severely.

32 bit is too low numbers to make out any trend so far. But all the genuine reports in this segment hint at truly old hardware, so nobody running 32 bit Windows on a newer system deliberately. It's all ancient graphics hardware from the time when 32 bit OSs were still being sold preinstalled.

Windows 7+8 share combined is at roughly 10%, down from 13% two years ago. Since we do not make a distinction here I cannot tell how many of these are using the unsupported-by-Microsoft Win 7, though.

So, overall all numbers so far point at some really weird development:

We essentially get two groups of users, a large one keeping their systems up to date and running both modern software and hardware, and a smaller one which continues to run their ancient stuff until the bitter end. The middle ground between these groups seems to thin out ever more to eventually disappear completely and the gap between both groups ever more widens.
It really takes no rocket science to predict that as time goes by these will be impossible to support with one set of code, as the requirements will diverge ever more as time advances - especially with Windows 11's release on the horizon.

It's not time for it yet, but I won't rule out that in the future we may do a split between GZDoom-GL and GZDoom-Vulkan, so that the Vulkan backend won't be limited by the requirements of OpenGL anymore which makes a lot of the potential multithreading very hard to pull off.
ClessxAlghazanth

Post by ClessxAlghazanth »

Sorry for the (probably) obvious question , but the latest devbuild pre-216 at https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/ released today (23rd) is created after official 4.7.0 release and contains the light attenuation fix , right ?

I'm asking this because the file I downloaded says 4.6.9999.0 in the title :roll:

Maybe I'm just thinking too much :wink:

Best regards
Attachments
gzdoom.jpg
gzdoom.jpg (6.01 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The only post 4.7 fix so far has been an autoload problem. It says 4.6.9999 because the corresponding tag isn't there yet.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

ClessxAlghazanth wrote:Sorry for the (probably) obvious question , but the latest devbuild pre-216 at https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/ released today (23rd) is created after official 4.7.0 release and contains the light attenuation fix , right ?

I'm asking this because the file I downloaded says 4.6.9999.0 in the title :roll:

Maybe I'm just thinking too much :wink:

Best regards
The light attenuation fix was part of the official release. If it is still not working, please make a new bug report.
theleo_ua
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by theleo_ua »

hud models: add nullptr check for psprites without caller.
Look up HUD models by referencing the psprite's caller, rather than player's ReadyWeapon.
dim depleted inventory items in all games, not just Strife.
Could you please explain, what this means and what benefits?
Graf Zahl wrote:BTW, here's something interesting: Of all the 34 reports so far, not a single one is for hardware not capable of Vulkan, and the only one for 32 bit was my own test call...
For me, it's interesting how many people use win7
theleo_ua
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by theleo_ua »

Graf Zahl wrote:It's not time for it yet, but I won't rule out that in the future we may do a split between GZDoom-GL and GZDoom-Vulkan, so that the Vulkan backend won't be limited by the requirements of OpenGL anymore which makes a lot of the potential multithreading very hard to pull off.
Is it possible to fix memory overflow crashes and glitches in future (for vulkan)? I still not use vulkan renderer because 2GB of VRAM is not enough, crashes and glitches appear
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The big problem is that NVidia's driver does not properly report out of memory errors, so whatever is needed here - I cannot even test it because the driver screws up!

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”