Doom Episode - 1 Remaster (demo available)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
StalkerBlade

Doom Episode - 1 Remaster (demo available)

Post by StalkerBlade »

(PLEASE READ REQUIREMENTS BEFORE PLAYING)

Replay the classic Doom maps from episode 1, but this time with far more detailed environments and a fresh coat of paint!

Each map was carefully created to maintain the gameplay of the classics. I also fixed some of the issues I've always had with the originals by re-executing some of the ideas the id team came up with in the 90's; giving it a more modern touch while keeping everything intact.

Screenshots (subject to change):

So far there's five maps that are done: E1M1, E1M4, E1M5, E1M8, and E1M9.

Requirements:
  • DYNAMIC LIGHTS AND SHADOW MAPS MUST BE ENABLED. YOU CAN FIND THESE IN THE DYNAMIC LIGHTS OPTIONS. Without these settings on, you won't be able to see, and the lighting will look incorrect and extremely ugly without shadow mapping turned on.
  • Latest version of GZDoom (this was designed ONLY FOR GZDOOM. compatibility is not guaranteed for other source ports)
  • Doom2.wad
  • A decent GPU should get the job done. These were made on an older GPU without any trouble, so they shouldn't cause too many issues.
  • It isn't exactly required, but it's strongly recommended that you enable "dark sector lighting".
While only tested with a few mods (Brutal Doom, Smooth Doom, Supercharge, etc), this should be compatible with most other gameplay mods.

You can download the demo here: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... evnc_O4Us8 (detailed credits inside the pk3 file)
Last edited by StalkerBlade on Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Void Warrior

Re: Doom Episode - 1 Remaster (demo available)

Post by Void Warrior »

Great job, StalkerBlade! It's a pity that only five cards out of nine, but it's quite enough for a demonstration!

Listen, when you finish the first episode, do you plan to re-release the next two (or three) episodes? I would love to replay them again, but in a new wrapper! 38^)
m1lk
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by m1lk »

damn that looks good, ill give it a shot
StalkerBlade

Post by StalkerBlade »

Void Warrior wrote:Listen, when you finish the first episode, do you plan to re-release the next two (or three) episodes? I would love to replay them again, but in a new wrapper! 38^)
I've thought about it a few times and I even have a few ideas, but I don't want to get too ahead of myself lol. I think if I do, I'll need to look into finding a few mappers who would be interested in being a part of it...Took me almost a year just to finally get a demo out the door, so I can't promise anything at the moment. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

I understand. Better late than never.
Ashat Maself

Post by Ashat Maself »

HOLEE SHEET THIS LOOKS AMAZING
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Oooh, this is really nice, and quite an interesting take on how to rework the levels. Often remakes make major changes to the map layout but this keeps things very similar to the originals and yet the new coat of remastered paint really works well and really gives the familiar maps a fresh new look. A very nice "less is more" approach.

Good use of sound environments too. I wish more people used them. They can make a huge difference to the feel of a map.
MentzWolf
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by MentzWolf »

Link is broken oof
StalkerBlade

Post by StalkerBlade »

Enjay wrote:Good use of sound environments too. I wish more people used them. They can make a huge difference to the feel of a map.
I wanted to make the maps have more "spacial awareness" to them, and they really helped with it lol. It is a bit of a shame that they don't get used very often though.
MentzWolf wrote:Link is broken oof
Dropbox left me an email saying they were banning the link for 24 hours due to high traffic...The link still works on my end, but I'll have to see what I can do.

edit: link is now updated.
wran

Post by wran »

Played through this and it's great. Super well optimized too.

Really hope to see the rest of e1 at some point :)
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Looks pretty cool. I always love a good remaster/remake of classic Doom maps.

Made a video :D
bitflipper

Post by bitflipper »

The maps are really cool. This addition feels... unnecessary, to say the least.
Attachments
uhhh
uhhh
StalkerBlade

Post by StalkerBlade »

bitflipper wrote:The maps are really cool. This addition feels... unnecessary, to say the least.
Here's the context for it:
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/E1M4:_Command ... evelopment
bitflipper

Post by bitflipper »

Oh, ok that makes a lot more sense lol. I was kinda taken aback... I had to boot up Doom II to see if I had somehow missed it (but of course I booted up 1.9, so no dice). Thanks for the explanation. I finished all of the episodes last night (played with Project Brutality), and I really liked how you recreated the feel of the original levels, but they still felt new at the same time. Super cool
bitflipper

Post by bitflipper »

bitflipper wrote:Oh, ok that makes a lot more sense lol. I was kinda taken aback... I had to boot up Doom II to see if I had somehow missed it (but of course I booted up 1.9, so no dice). Thanks for the explanation. I finished all of the episodes last night (played with Project Brutality), and I really liked how you recreated the feel of the original levels, but they still felt new at the same time. Super cool
* Doom

Return to “Levels”