DEAD TECH Episode One (1.1.3)!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hor1zon Str1der

DEAD TECH Episode One (1.1.3)!

Post by Hor1zon Str1der »

Episode One Released (See Changlog)

Somewhere in the vast cold of space, in distant years, old machines reawaken. Technologies long dead and forgotten live once more, and abominations of metal and corrupted code begin to roam the surface.

You are the last human on the planet. Human being relative.

Dead Tech is a science fiction themed Total Conversion designed with GZDoom in mind. Set on a planet in the far flung future, seemingly inhabited entirely by robots. The player takes the roll of a more machine than man cyborg armed with a machine pistol.

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:
Planned features:
Three Ten level episodes
A large and varied enemy roster
A number of bosses
A number of new weapons
An in game story line

1.1.3 Changelog:
Spoiler:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19W48Xd ... drive_link

Credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Hor1zon Str1der on Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: {WIP} DEADTECH

Post by Captain J »

Beat the whole demo and i must say, this is promising and totally has own unique feel to it. The dystopian atmosphere that's lifeless but only machines roam around of this TC is brilliant.

Tho i must say the enemies in this game are quite tough to fight even in easiest difficulty. I guess the projectiles are rather fast and they rarely go to Pain State. Small enemies are also pesky to deal with. Especially the aerial one's hit detection is quite weird. I mostly miss my shots when i'm fighting with this thing.

And i would like to see SMG being slightly accurate so i can spare my ammo and snipe the enemies from distance. Otherwise, this TC's cool! This is like Rampancy plus System Shock in one and i love it.

EDIT: oh i mean "System" Shock. Haha
Last edited by Captain J on Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

I like this and I think it has potential.

That being said I have a few points:
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It's great to see something original like this - and I really like the setting. Loads of potential here.

I have read Captain J and ReformedJoe's comments and I agree with all points made (both pros and cons).

I personally would like a way to switch off the visual overlay. I found it annoying.

I noticed that at least one weapon was not widescreen friendly (fist during its punch frame). I would suggest addressing that because most people have widescreen monitors these days.

Also, GZDoom in bebug mode reports the following warnings on startup:

Code: Select all

Script warning, "DEAD_TECH_DEMO_1.1.pk3:decorate" line 116:
Tried to define class 'MEAT' more than once. Renaming class to 'MEAT@DEAD_TECH_DEMO_1.1.pk3@decorate'
Script warning, "DEAD_TECH_DEMO_1.1.pk3:decorate" line 464:
Tried to define class 'Scanner' more than once. Renaming class to 'Scanner@DEAD_TECH_DEMO_1.1.pk3@decorate'
Hor1zon Str1der

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can do about the issues. Should have an updated version sometime in the next few days. Updated Today!
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Great stuff! Thoughts below.
Spoiler:
Hor1zon Str1der

Thanks. I am planning on implement difficulty level. I'm also going to continue tweak enemy health a bit.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hor1zon Str1der wrote:player no longer 'bleeds' until I can figure out ho to stop the Hunter's laser sights from causing bleeding
As ReformedJoe mentioned, it should be possible to fix this by defining your own bullet puff in DECORATE. If you give the puff the BLOODLESSIMPACT flag (I think) then tell your railgun attack (which is what I think you are using for their lasers?) to use your new puff, then they shouldn't make the player (or anything) bleed.

I've had a very quick look at the new upload. So far so good and I much prefer the significantly reduced screen overlay effect. :)
Hor1zon Str1der

Re: {WIP} DEADTECH (1.1.2!)

NEW Update!
Hor1zon Str1der

Here's a peak at some of the new stuff coming up!
Spoiler:
Episode 1 is pretty close to finished, just two more maps, implementing difficulty levels, and a few more visual changes.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Good stuff, I really like the 2nd shot in particular. Glad to see you're still working on this.
Hor1zon Str1der

Still working. A lot of stuff(mostly good) happened after the first, so I haven't gotten much done. But I have free time again. The Full Episode one is coming pretty soon 8-)

UPDATE: Episode 1 is out!
nekostuffing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: DEAD TECH Episode One (1.0)!

Post by nekostuffing »

Just played episode 1 and it was fantastic! the maps were great and i loved the atmosphere, music was really cool, played it on the default difficulty (which i think is called hacker) and it didn't feel too hard or too easy, it was just hard enough to keep it challenging, overall very cool tc.
Shadow_Wulfe

Re: DEAD TECH Episode One (1.0)!

Post by Shadow_Wulfe »

God tier design on this. The environments, enemies, and setup really evoke that post-apocalyptic high technology vibe.

My one criticism is that I have no idea what the protagonist is saying. Are there subtitles?
Hor1zon Str1der

Re: DEAD TECH Episode One (1.1.3)!

NEW UPDATE(1.1.3)!

Sorry about the long wait for news.
nekostuffing wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:48 am Just played episode 1 and it was fantastic! the maps were great and i loved the atmosphere, music was really cool, played it on the default difficulty (which i think is called hacker) and it didn't feel too hard or too easy, it was just hard enough to keep it challenging, overall very cool tc.
Thanks.
Shadow_Wulfe wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:47 am God tier design on this. The environments, enemies, and setup really evoke that post-apocalyptic high technology vibe.

My one criticism is that I have no idea what the protagonist is saying. Are there subtitles?
Thanks. the new voice is a bit louder and mixed better, so hopefully that's no longer a problem, I can still add subtitles if I need to though.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”